PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullet for 40 S & W

johnho
02-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I want a bullet that I can shoot in USPSA matches. Most of those folks don't use lead for fear of lead poisoning and smoke so there is not too much information there.

Anyone have an idea on a good bullet for this. Seems the truncated cones are popular but what about weight and accuracy. I want to be able to shoot major some day too.

Thanks.

John

mooman76
02-09-2007, 10:52 PM
TC bullets seem to be most popular for the .40 and it depends on the twist rate of your gun as to what will shoot best. The .40 has allot of pressure and shoots at a fast spped so it tends to lead a little more but depends on the gun!

randyrat
02-09-2007, 11:04 PM
So far i have tried Kead LSWC in my XD40 service and they didn't work then i Lee Aloxed them and it slowed the leading down a great deal. I've got a lot more testing to do...... It got real coooooooold and it slowed my shooting down. I haven't gave up on lead bullets yet. Yes they were lubed already and they still leaded.. i also tried many different loads. I* swear by that LLX.. I'm betting i'll find a load or a different lead bullet that will work yet. I think 40 autos are tough to shoot lead out of. If you give up on lead go with a Rainier bullet they work real good for the price.

Sundogg1911
02-10-2007, 12:07 AM
I shoot the Lee TC 175 Gr. out of my Infinity Limited IPSC gun. It works great for me. I'm using WST powder. It also shoots well in my CZ 40B.

kirb
02-10-2007, 12:23 AM
I shoot Magma enginering 205 gr round nose in my 610 rev and 180gr round nose from Ballisti cast in my 35 Glock both at major pf in ispc both work well. I do use a after market barrel for the Glock.

Kal

Bob Jones
02-10-2007, 12:35 AM
I've shot many 1000's of the Lee 175g tumble lube truncated cone. It's very accurate in my Hipower, no leading, I love it.

9.3X62AL
02-10-2007, 01:23 AM
The Lee 175 grain TC has done good work for me in two 40 caliber pistols--Beretta 96 and CZ-75B.

I've typed this a few times before--but that's cool. The 9mm and 40 S&W are a lot more like rifles than handguns due to the high pressures they operate with and the relatively fast twist rates many barrels have in those calibers--1:10", which is twice as fast as what's needed with the squatty boolits we shoot from these pistols. So.......treat them like rifles--make SURE the boolits fit the throat and grooves, maybe use a little harder alloy than air-cooled WW, softer lubes like Javelina, things like that.

This has been my recipe for success in 9mm and 40 S&W, and my castings shoot as well or better than jacketed bullets--and equal or surpass jacketed velocities, too. Neither 9mm nor 40 S&W is a "beginner caliber" like 38 Special for the boolit casting handloader--they will take a little massaging to get them working well.

Lloyd Smale
02-10-2007, 08:21 AM
most accurate .40 bullet ive found is the rcbs 180 rf

randyrat
02-10-2007, 08:55 AM
So far i have tried Kead LSWC in my XD40 service and they didn't work then i Lee Aloxed them and it slowed the leading down a great deal. I've got a lot more testing to do...... It got real coooooooold and it slowed my shooting down. I haven't gave up on lead bullets yet. Yes they were lubed already and they still leaded.. i also tried many different loads. I* swear by that LLX.. I'm betting i'll find a load or a different lead bullet that will work yet. I think 40 autos are tough to shoot lead out of. If you give up on lead go with a Rainier bullet they work real good for the price.Bad taste on my part..This is cast boolits thread.. I'll sit back and listen..please except my apology

tomf52
02-10-2007, 09:49 AM
johnho -Who is the major you want to shoot?

anachronism
02-10-2007, 11:39 AM
most accurate .40 bullet ive found is the rcbs 180 rf

I second this opinion. Great bullet!

Bob Jones
02-11-2007, 01:19 AM
I just noticed your comment about the Kead bullets. My first experience with cast bullets was shooting Kead in a 40, leading was absolutely horrible. I almost gave up on cast but eventually figured things out to some extent. Today I shoot water-quenched WW, Lee tumble lube 175 grain, and can shoot 300 rounds in an outing an my barrel is clean and shiny when I'm done without the slightest leading.

Commercial cast bullets give cast a bad name (I know there's a few exceptions, talking about the big names).