PDA

View Full Version : question for virginia shooters

part_timer
10-19-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm making a quick trip down to VA to see my family this weekend. I'd like to do some shooting while I"m down there and was wondering.
Is there a problem taking a conternder in 45/410 down. I know some states throw a hissy about that barrel and wanted to make sure it was ok first.

Thanks
Tom

Wayne Smith
10-20-2011, 08:22 AM
As long as you have it packed inaccessable to you in the car and the ammo separate (different suitcase, in the car body while gun is in trunk, or vice versa) you are good to go in all the states. Inaccessable means that you can't reach and grab it. Inside a container, suitcase, guncase with a lock on it, etc. I'd tend to carry it in something that does not scream "GUN!".

part_timer
10-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks Wayne, I even went so far as to take the barrel off the frame.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Southron Sanders
10-20-2011, 05:28 PM
I lived back in Virginia about 30 years ago. You could be towing a piece of field artillery behind your truck and the Troopers would just yawn when you went by-

If you had a radar detector on your dash-IT WAS OFF TO THE POKEY!!!

Green Frog
10-20-2011, 06:01 PM
I lived back in Virginia about 30 years ago. You could be towing a piece of field artillery behind your truck and the Troopers would just yawn when you went by-

If you had a radar detector on your dash-IT WAS OFF TO THE POKEY!!!

ROTFLMAO, SS, you are absolutely right. VA is officially and unofficially Firearms Friendly, but a lot of the guys in blue and grey cars have no sympathies for speeders or folks with the equipment to aid that pastime! [smilie=2: :guntootsmiley:

Froggie

MikeS
10-21-2011, 05:23 AM
As long as you have it packed inaccessable to you in the car and the ammo separate (different suitcase, in the car body while gun is in trunk, or vice versa) you are good to go in all the states. Inaccessable means that you can't reach and grab it. Inside a container, suitcase, guncase with a lock on it, etc. I'd tend to carry it in something that does not scream "GUN!".

I'm not sure that you're good in ALL states when the firearm is a handgun. In NY and MA I'm pretty sure no matter how you have it packed, or disassembled, that if you don't have a handgun carry permit that's valid in those states (and neither one has reciprocity with anyone else) if caught you will go to jail.

Tatume
10-21-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm making a quick trip down to VA to see my family this weekend. I'd like to do some shooting while I"m down there and was wondering.
Is there a problem taking a conternder in 45/410 down. I know some states throw a hissy about that barrel and wanted to make sure it was ok first.

Thanks
Tom

Whereabouts in Virginia are you coming?

Bomberman
10-21-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm not sure that you're good in ALL states when the firearm is a handgun. In NY and MA I'm pretty sure no matter how you have it packed, or disassembled, that if you don't have a handgun carry permit that's valid in those states (and neither one has reciprocity with anyone else) if caught you will go to jail.

Federal Law provides for "Safe Passage" through all states.

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A

§ 926A. INTERSTATE TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Now you know...

Tatume
10-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Federal law is routinely violated by the states of NJ, NY, and MA. People are arrested, tried, and convicted for committing no crime. Now you know....

marshall623
10-23-2011, 03:52 PM
You'll be allright here with it in a case , but you better check what states you're going thru.