PDA

View Full Version : Different Alloys in One Pot

wtfooptimax200
10-19-2011, 07:43 PM
I am looking to cast boolits with both 50/50 and straight COWW. The problem is that I can only afford one pot at this point and cannot have 1 pot for each alloy. Since I use bottom pour, I do not want to totally empty the pot based on the advice that it will alloy impurities to stick in the spout. Is there any easy way to completely empty the pot without clogging the spout so that I can switch out alloys?

Thanks,
Branden

sig2009
10-19-2011, 07:47 PM
I am looking to cast boolits with both 50/50 and straight COWW. The problem is that I can only afford one pot at this point and cannot have 1 pot for each alloy. Since I use bottom pour, I do not want to totally empty the pot based on the advice that it will alloy impurities to stick in the spout. Is there any easy way to completely empty the pot without clogging the spout so that I can switch out alloys?

Thanks,
Branden

I empty mine into one of those clay planter bases. Works for me.

gefiltephish
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
With just an inch or two left in the pot, I just pick it up and dump it into something else. Wear gloves, use your head, blah blah blah...

runfiverun
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
so leave a little in there.
coww's ain't all that consistent anyways.

Mk42gunner
10-19-2011, 08:36 PM
With just an inch or two left in the pot, I just pick it up and dump it into something else. Wear gloves, use your head, blah blah blah...

That is what I used to do. It helps to have a large target area so you don't make a mess.

Robert

williamwaco
10-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Before you empty your pot, stir vigorously, flux, skim and stir again. When there is no slag left on the top and you can't scrape any more off the bottom or the sides of the pot. Open the spout and pour ingots until the level of the remaining metal is only about 1/8 inch. Place an ingot or some other block under the front of the base of the pot. This will tilt the top of the pot backward away from the spout. With your stirring spoon, scrape the remaining metal away from the spout. If the level of the metal is low enough, it will all flow away from the spout to the back of the spout and leave it nice and clean.

At this point, your downspout is still hot and any metal in it is still molten. Carefully clean it out with a straightened out paper clip.

Now unplug your pot and go about your business. When it cools, your will be able to pry the remaining hardened "puddle" of alloy off the bottom and it will come out as a semicircular plate.

ku4hx
10-20-2011, 07:43 AM

Thanks,
Branden

If it's important to you to maintain "alloy integrity", you're going to have to drain your pot. I do that ever so often just to clean mine. I always drain via the bottom spouts and clean the spouts with a torch and a nail held with a pair of needle nosed pliers. Never caused a clogging problem in 40+ years of casting.

Don't over think the situation. Many times the quickest easiest method is not the best solution.

btroj
10-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Why worry it? A pound or two of the other alloy won't make that big a difference.
I have one pot and I adjust "hardness" for a pot full by what I put in the pot. For haredim I as some monotype, for softer I use straight range scrap.
I ink the whole alloy thing is blown out of proportion in importance. 50-50 WW/lead can mean anywhere from 60-40 to 40-60 depending upon how it was mixed. I can't imagine thar many people here actually use a balance to weigh the ingredients for their alloy.

Maybe I am just blissfully ignorant but my targets and game animals don't seem to notice.

ku4hx
10-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Why worry it? A pound or two of the other alloy won't make that big a difference.
I have one pot and I adjust "hardness" for a pot full by what I put in the pot. For haredim I as some monotype, for softer I use straight range scrap.
I ink the whole alloy thing is blown out of proportion in importance. 50-50 WW/lead can mean anywhere from 60-40 to 40-60 depending upon how it was mixed. I can't imagine thar many people here actually use a balance to weigh the ingredients for their alloy.

Maybe I am just blissfully ignorant but my targets and game animals don't seem to notice.

I've been casting for over 40 years and I couldn't agree with you more. Unless you buy assayed and certified foundry alloy, the chances of you having the exact alloy you think you have is pretty slim. You may come close but you'll likely never know it unless you get some sort of forensics examination done.

But each to his own. If all the various metrics is what floats your boat then sail away. Personally I'm going to spend minimum time getting a batch of alloy right and maximum time putting its boolits either downrange or at my chosen game.

DLCTEX
10-20-2011, 09:47 AM
+1 on dumping the liquid metal out of the pot using heavy gloves. A bump of the inverted pot can get a lot of crud out.