PDA

View Full Version : lightfield like reloads, anyone know how to make them?

trickyasafox
02-09-2007, 04:02 PM
so my dad asked me if i could reload him some slugs for this upcoming season. he tried a box of those lightfield 12ga slugs and really liked them, but can't stomach the idea of paying 10 dollars for 5 slugs.

a quick glance makes me think it's a 45cal pistol bullet saboted in a standard hi brass 12 ga hull.

so i was curious, has anyone tried making their own saboted slugs? i bought 100 .451 diameter 230gr gold dots last year when midway had them on clearence for 8.99 or so, so i thought they might be a good test bullet. should i try something heavier?

does anyone know where i can get sabots that will fit a 12ga bore, and hold a 45cal bullet?

i could be way off, as i didn't want to rip a slug apart to mic it, but is it a 44 cal bullet?

if anyone has cooked one of these up, i'd really appreciate some powder data as well.

also, is this tool the only viable choice for a roll crimper?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=730142

a quick search revealed this:
http://www.slugshooting.com/id32.html

is there a reason not to go with the 12 dollar crimper? i still may be way off base here, so again any and all help is appreciated :)

thanks!

mike

Tennessee Nimrod
02-10-2007, 06:53 AM
I can help you out with all the info you need to load 12 and 20ga. slugs. All of my components come from one source( New primed hulls, sabots, wads and gas seals). All you will need is powder and bullets from elsewhere. As far as equipment for assembly you need the following: a roll crimper ( a drill press to use it in ) a fixture for holding the assembled components in the drillpress while crimping ( can be obtained from above sourse also), I am assuming you already have a reloading press and powder measuring equipment . I do not have the name or add. of the company handy. I will get it and repost. You can save $$$$ and have equal or better than factory loads. Some initial up front cost are required, but when you do the math you will find you are very quickly in the black.:Fire: P.S. When then don't cost an "arm and a leg" you don't feel about Letti'n em fly!!!!!!

357maximum
02-10-2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

http://www.reloadingspecialties.com/

http://www.precisionreloading.com/

Winchester partition golds use a 50 cal slug in 12 gauge, and a 45 cal slug in the 20. I have actually re-used the yellow sabot from the 20 with pretty decent results, but I cannot remember exactly the data I used...I do know it was SR4756 powder and a lee 452-255 boolit in the sabot...and a bpgas seal and card wads......and in blue fioocchi hulls for 2 3/4 inch 20 gauge, it is the only hull I use for 20 gauge slugs/single projectiles...no oopsies that way(if it is blue it is either a slug or roundball load) . I bought 1k of em a long while back from ballisticproducts when they had a sale.

The 12 dollar roll crimper may well work....I bought the 30 dollar one and it works, but not as good as the old clamp type handpowered roll crimpers I use.....they even work well on plastic hulls....surprised me too.....most slugs do seem to be more accurate with a standard fold crimp.....??why?? I do not know, it just is.

Michael

trickyasafox
02-10-2007, 01:23 PM
thanks for the tips so far guys! so i get the impression getting the actual sabots for 12 and 20 are the most difficult part? finding some with an OD of .729 has proven difficult :(

am i understanding this though, you just use a regular wad? anyone try those teflon sleeves?

Tennessee Nimrod
02-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back I have been work'in 12's so it's sleep & go! Michael in the above post is steering you right with the Ballistic products catalog. They are retailing the sabots from CCS Gun servicing Inc. 34 Wagner Ave. Trenton NJ 08610 # 609-261-7373. Call these folks they will put you in the slug making game! Good luck Good hunting God bless.:Fire:

357maximum
02-16-2007, 04:59 AM
thanks for the tips so far guys! so i get the impression getting the actual sabots for 12 and 20 are the most difficult part? finding some with an OD of .729 has proven difficult :(

am i understanding this though, you just use a regular wad? anyone try those teflon sleeves?

Lyman makes a "sabot" slug in 12/20 that does use a standard shot wad, they are most likely going to give you fits, in order to get decent accuracy with them I had to use some antique shotcup only wadpetals, and use a gas seal and stack-o-wads like they do with foster slugs, to get repeatable performance....I used BP gas seal and old alcan cardboard wads to span the distance till it was high enough for a crimp......I also used motor mica on the plastic parts, and soaked the cardboard ones with bore butter, it was alot of work/fudging/screwin around....I suggest:

using the expensive plastic sabot/bullet for loong range work, and a simple lyman foster slug painted with LeeLiquid Alox and on top of card wads for practice and inside 100 yard work...data is available in the lyman shotshell manuals #2, #3 & #4 for them foster slugs....what you are dealving into can prove right trying ...til it ..clicks