PDA

View Full Version : Bonehead Mistake While Casting

Dutch4122
10-19-2011, 04:47 PM
No, not a visit from the Tinsel Fairy; but almost as dumb of a move on my part!

I decided to cast up some 500 grn FNPB's today out of a BRP single cavity mold for my H&R Ultra-Rifle in .450 Marlin. This boolit design was originally cataloged by BRP as a 463-515 with a round nose. When I ordered the mold from Bruce I asked him to drill out a oversized hollowpoint channel and install a flat ended pin to convert the design into a flat nose.

Soo..........I'm happily casting along alternating between air cooling the slugs and water dropping them in a 5 gallon bucket. Perfect slugs & no rejects right from the start. At about the 20th cast I cut the sprue and then forgot to remove the flat nose pin before I opened the mold over the bucket of water. Dropped the boolit and the pin into the water!!!!!!!!

Some days I just should'nt be allowed around sharp objects, firearms, or hot stuff!!!:groner:

adrians
10-19-2011, 04:59 PM
i was quenching one time a while ago now ,when i used gloves,
i dropped the whole darn mold in the bucket [smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b: luckily the mold came out unscathed didn't warp (or if it did i can't tell).
i don't cast with gloves anymore :evil::cry::twisted:

BABore
10-19-2011, 06:39 PM
No, not a visit from the Tinsel Fairy; but almost as dumb of a move on my part!

I decided to cast up some 500 grn FNPB's today out of a BRP single cavity mold for my H&R Ultra-Rifle in .450 Marlin. This boolit design was originally cataloged by BRP as a 463-515 with a round nose. When I ordered the mold from Bruce I asked him to drill out a oversized hollowpoint channel and install a flat ended pin to convert the design into a flat nose.

Soo..........I'm happily casting along alternating between air cooling the slugs and water dropping them in a 5 gallon bucket. Perfect slugs & no rejects right from the start. At about the 20th cast I cut the sprue and then forgot to remove the flat nose pin before I opened the mold over the bucket of water. Dropped the boolit and the pin into the water!!!!!!!!

Some days I just should'nt be allowed around sharp objects, firearms, or hot stuff!!!:groner:

Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You finally acheived your seniority with the Flint area LEO's. Everyone stay clear or I-69, north of Flint Michigan.:groner::lol:

45 2.1
10-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You finally acheived your seniority with the Flint area LEO's. Everyone stay clear or I-69, north of Flint Michigan.:groner::lol:

Hmmmmmmm....................... Mikey has a brother now.:mrgreen:[smilie=l:

HORNET
10-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Wait until you pour one and immediately realize that you forgot to put the pin back in...

Bloodman14
10-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Wait until you pour one and immediately realize that you forgot to put the pin back in...

Oh, yeah, that makes a BIG mess!

youngda9
10-20-2011, 07:02 PM
That's common knowledge for Michiganders [smilie=l:

Alchemist
10-20-2011, 09:09 PM

Yeah, they're hard to fill up when the lead keeps runnin' through...[smilie=b: