PDA

View Full Version : South Florida

Buddy
10-18-2011, 01:55 PM
I have two children that live in the Naples area. They have been wanting me to move down there since I'm retired. The mom ran off with them in '79 and we've maintained a long distance relationship. The thing is I have two close to home from my second wife. This is a heck of a decision to make. I'm planning on a trip down to visit in Jan. Anyone in that area that could let me know something about the shooting/hunting opportunities please respond. The boy wants to go hunting hogs with me and he's going to be doing it for the 1st time. I'm going to have to find a range or some public land to get him started in the right direction. There doesn't seem to be much on the internet about the Naples area unless you want to golf or play bridge at the senior center which isn't my bag.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-18-2011, 08:20 PM
South Florida is divided into east coast and west coast. In between there is the Everglades and most of that is generally hot and swampy. There is more going on on the east coast, but the west side has grown considerably in recent years especially since the completion of I-75 (alligator Alley). There are ranges and the indoor ones are air conditioned. There are outdoor ones, but unless you are used to the heat and humidity it can get pretty uncomfortable. Hunting various game is possible mostly in the glades. One can shoot on public land. In the Naples area one has to go into the (Golden) glades for hunting or shooting on public land. Its not far to access in terms of distance. Of course its a "bug farm" so bring along the "off". Go into the yellow pages and look up Gunshops...they will tell you more on where to go and whats available....more than I presently know for I have not been there for quite some time. Since the Everglades is also a national park there may be restrictions so it is advisable to check with the Park Service to see what is required on that score. Also the Native American Seminole tribe is accorded a reservation of considerable size & that may have rules on hunting or shooting. Good luck with your trip. LLS

Buddy
10-19-2011, 10:52 AM
We were talking on the phone last nite and he told me the "skeeters" carry AK47s.lol Thanks for the heads up.

Geraldo
10-20-2011, 06:52 AM
For Florida hunting rules and info check: www.myfwc.com.

I'm on the east coast, but I did find this online:

http://www.gunrangenaples.com/

I can't vouch for that range, but it looks promising. However, be advised that January is peak snowbird season. Everything gets crowded (and pricey) once they arrive.

The weather in January gets cold (for us), you'll be fine. It's not hot or humid at that time. Last year Miami got some 40 degree nights in January.

Mosquitoes. I'd say they're not as bad in the winter, but who knows. If they are, you have two choices: get used to them or freak out. If you want to freak out mosquitoes carry encephalitis and dengue fever. We don't worry about them, and I don't even think we have repellent in the house.

VA Shooter
10-20-2011, 07:26 AM
If you like West by God you will more than likely not like South FLA my buddy moved down there 5 years ago and every year he comes back up to Front Royal VA to deer hunt he said that he wanted to hog hunt down there but could not find any place to hunt he hates to hunt public land hope everything works out

Buddy
10-25-2011, 09:39 PM
I lived in Sarasota for the summer of '73. I was single and liked it. The heat and humidity won't bother me, I'm pretty comfortable with temps in the 90s. Thanks for the heads up on the range. I think I'll make an inquiry with Lou.