PDA

View Full Version : casting with dog

olafhardt
10-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Does any body else talk to their dog while casting?

El Gato
10-18-2011, 09:11 AM
My cat seems to be interested in watching me cast. It keeps its distance however...

DLCTEX
10-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Yes, I tell him to stop whining wanting in.

casterofboolits
10-18-2011, 09:48 AM
I have in the past, but she has been gone gone for eight years now. She was a rescue and weighed 165 pounds when she passed. She had her own spot in my casting shop.

She passed the morning of my Mother's funeral. Was a really bad day!

1bluehorse
10-18-2011, 11:10 AM
No.............:?:

runfiveslittlegirl
10-18-2011, 11:20 AM
i had a chessie lab mixed once that would eat any boolit that come in reach of her mouth if it was on the floor...
the dog i got now likes to lay wherever i need to stand or walk, she was a bit silver colored once from when i was melting some lino and she moved spots on me.
she now prefers not to be around when i am casting or in the reloading room.

JSnover
10-18-2011, 11:25 AM
While casting? I used to talk to mine all the time.

UtopiaTexasG19
10-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Too dangerous with the hot lead for me to chance a bad burn on my Labrador Retriever as he is not old enough to not want to play all the time. Labradors will put anything in their mouths and "retrieve" it to the next county! :)

Tazman1602
10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
I only worry when they answer back...

BruceB
10-18-2011, 12:16 PM
I only worry when they answer back...

Reminds me of the Irish Rovers, "Wasn't That A Party".....

"I saw someone under the kitchen table,

Talkin' to my old tomcat.

They were talkin' about hockey,

The cat was talkin' back...

'Long about then, everything went black!

Wasn't that a party?"

Look it up on www. youtube.com and enjoy.

x101airborne
10-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I dont need to talk to my dog. I have the voices to argue with. My dog has never agreed with me either. If I wanted to get frustrated with a female, I would talk to my wife.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-18-2011, 12:37 PM
yes lucky loves to cast with mehttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_173564e9dab5cef8f1.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2454)

Moonie
10-18-2011, 02:15 PM
My dog sits in my man cave while I cast and while I reload. Living in my house I currently have SWMBO, 3 daughters, the wifes dog (female), me and my male dog. He and I retreat to the cave for male bonding, on occasion my sons even come over. My dog agrees with everything I say, smart dog...

fredj338
10-18-2011, 03:16 PM
I talk to the dog all the time. He is the only one that understands me.:veryconfu

45-70 Ranger
10-18-2011, 04:08 PM
My dogs refuse to listen to me as I try to keep them in the gate when it's opened. They blast out into the road and try to start stuff with the dogs across the road. I doubt that any of them would pay attention when there is hot lead about! So, aaahhhhhh, no, I don't. :) My dogs have a K-9 I.Q. of four points under that of a rock!

Sonnypie
10-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Of course. But he doesn't like the shop much.
Especially if something starts up, like the air compressor, or the sound of a blow gun squirting air. [smilie=1:
But he came out and helped me with one of my garden beds this morning. He likes to be my little helper dog.
And he rides along when running around being Grandpa Chauffeur. :lol:
He's a rescue, he found me one day.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/speedyW.jpg

Bwana
10-18-2011, 05:10 PM
My three aren't allowed near the bench in the garage while casting and they have the side door open so they generally stay in the backyard. The 15 1/2 yr old cat is deaf so she doesn't care. The reloading/computer room in the house is another matter. If I'm there, they're there. I listen to "hate" (right wing) radio most of the time anyway. Sometimes I'll have the TV on also while doing chores that don't require a great deal of attention to prevent a bad situation. Multi tasking and efficient time management is very useful since time seems to go faster and faster the older I get.

The Dove
10-18-2011, 06:03 PM
My dogs are outside dogs..... I cast in the garage and re-load in the man cave so no, I don't chat while doing my thing.

The Dove

Jack Stanley
10-18-2011, 07:43 PM
No .... but , I did have an old tomcat that came down to the dungeon and made a few suggestions about how to improve the workspaces . Haven't had a dog in there yet that criticized the job .

Jack

Mumblypeg
10-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Well... yea... why not. She's a smart dog and knows to keep her distance. Look at my avatar, she knows when to put the ear muffs on...:smile: Oh, and she know when to leave too. If I screw up and start cursing, she leaves. She doesn't like it when I'm mad and gets out of the way. She also knows when I'm hurting and comes up as if to say "Aw man, are you OK?". How do they know that stuff?

Southern Son
10-18-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't like them around the lead, but everything else that I do, my pups are more than happy to help and keep me company. Although their idea of help makes everthing that I do with them take longer. I don't ask them for advise anymore since neither of them can read the instructions.

jmsj
10-18-2011, 09:24 PM
I have/had a momma barn cat that tries to climb into my lap all the time, even when I'm casting. I say have/had because just before she weans her kittens she takes them on "walk about" for a couple of weeks. I guess this is to teach them how to hunt. When she returns she weans the kittens. Currently she is about a week overdue on returning.

Mumbleypeg,
I just love your avatar, makes me laugh everytime I see it. Two of my favorite dogs of all times have been blue heelers. The one we have now (#4)is just figureing he is a blue heeler. He is mad because when he is in the yard the turkey, deer and horses just ignore him. They'll graze just the other side of his fence and ignore him as he is barking. This just hurts his pride.
jmsj

Kraschenbirn
10-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Nope...but the cat and I had an interesting conversation today as he watched me put in my daily 5 miles on the stationary (bike) trainer in the basement.

Bill

beagle
10-18-2011, 09:55 PM
I try but my doxie get's bored with me and goes to sleep in the rocking chair but he likes to hang out anyway./beagle

a.squibload
10-18-2011, 10:17 PM
The cats follow me around, I dropped a boolit in the basement and the one cat
picked it up and started to run off with it, had to grab him. He plays fetch with
a rattle-mouse toy so I should have been ready for that.

leftiye
10-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Has anybody mentioned that they make great flux. Not as good as cats though. Pot holders maybe?

My rotty gets bored in the man cave.

Johnch
10-18-2011, 11:33 PM
As I cast in the basement
My 13 year old lab loves it down there

He has a 2 rugs to sleep on under a work bench not far from where I cast
Depending on the temps
One in on the concrete and the other is on a piece of 1" foam insulation

Normaly he comes over as I fire up the pots to get his ears scratched
THen heads over to lay down

Normaly before I even get rolling, he is snooring

My cat sleeps on the bench above the dog or curled up next to him

John

MikeS
10-19-2011, 12:26 AM
When I'm casting I'm in the garage, and they can't go there. When I'm doing any other reloading stuff, it's in my bedroom (man cave?) and my 4 chihuahua's usually join me. 2 of them are pretty quiet, one just tells me when she wants to get up on the bed (she's perfectly capable of jumping on the bed, but she wants me near her, and watching while she jumps), and my oldest has entire conversations with me. The only problem is she understands me better than I understand her, although she usually gets her point across.

Beagler
10-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Yes, They snuggle up on a blanket and sleep. The Beagle boys go everywhere with me except when I'm in the treestand. Rascal my five year old beagle used to go to the range to. One of the other members had a problem with it and I was told not to bring'em anymore. All he ever did was sleep under the truck and not bother anybody. He's a good boy! I'm no longer a member of that club.

geargnasher
10-19-2011, 12:57 AM
My shop kitty keeps me company usually, he likes proximity, so I keep an old office chair next to my casting chair so he can watch. After a while he racks out though.

Gear

6.5 mike
10-19-2011, 03:10 AM
I talk to my dead "little buddy" all the time, a little black manx pound cat. She never went outside, but if I was sorting or pp'ing boolits inside she had to be in my lap. El Gato, your avator looks enough like her to be scarry, white mark & all.:(

El Gato
10-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Bella the Tuxedo Cat likes Casting, Black Powder and Black Powder fouling. It is funny how critters make such good companions for our hobby.

maglvr
10-20-2011, 02:19 AM
I talk to my 4 chickens while smelting / casting, they always have something to say back too!
One of them (Shadow) has taken up residence on top of my drill press, she roosts there every night.
Nice to have something to talk to when playing around in the shop.

zardoz
10-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Yes indeed I do.

My mutt Mr. Petey, well he lives in the basement where his house is. My workshop is a fenced off section of the basement. So when I cast, Mr. Petey watches me intently.

There is a dog door in the basement door to the back yard, which he considers his property of course.

He brings his toys (rubber balls) right up to the door of the workshop and patiently waits while I cast. But if the interval has been too long, he begins barking and barking. It is time for big dog (me) to stop, and throw his balls for a while. So I yell, "Hey, big dog needs play time too!"

This results in even more barking of course. You see, in his eyes, there is no excuse for me to just keep fiddling with my molds and things, and not throw his toys.

So, I get to a stopping point, and secure everything to throw his toys for a bit. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes, and then I go back to my casting.

This cycle repeats about every time I go down there to make boolits.

olafhardt
10-23-2011, 02:10 AM
This I one of the things I like about this site. People here do not seem compelled to hide their oldfartism (I may have invented that word, but you all know what I mean). Another thing I like about this site is if you ask a serious question you get several well thought out answers from experienced and knowledgeable people

Cannoneer
10-23-2011, 05:56 AM

No! But I talk to my six foot tall Rabbit named Harvey when I'm casting. The conversation is a bit one sided, though!:cbpour:

41mag
10-23-2011, 06:59 AM
Too dangerous with the hot lead for me to chance a bad burn on my Labrador Retriever as he is not old enough to not want to play all the time. Labradors will put anything in their mouths and "retrieve" it to the next county! :)

Our last Golden "Buster", was something else. I had him before I got into casting boolits, but at the time I was pouring up large surf weights for shark fishing. He once knocked over my coffee can of clips and slag and at probably a handfull of them. When I noticed him acting squirrely I started looking around for the cause never EVER thinking of the clips and such. Once I noticed them, we called the 24hr emergency vet ## and after a big dose of hydrogen peroxide and half a loaf of bread off tot he ER we went. The peroxide and bread got the clips, but it didn't get all the tiny stuff. His x-ray looked like a star chart. It took some serious work to get him through it but he hung in there and gave us another 8 years of grateful love.

The dog we have now, well he is simply content knowing we're there. He will pop out to the shop, check on me, and go back to his love seat(his king sized bed), and sprawl out. The cats we have, well the one she is simply content with food and being left alone, the other two they are still in the first year of wildness, and no way will I allow them out there. I have left the occasional boolit sitting on a reloading manual on the table several times only to find it somewhere else in the house. Something about the things I mess with makes them think "hey, pop was playing with this, it has to be fun". I think it's "Tig" (Tigger), but I haven't been able to catch him or Rascal either one actually stealing them.

rbertalotto
10-23-2011, 07:02 AM

You guys need to do a better job of washing your hands after handling lead!

kbstenberg
10-23-2011, 07:36 AM
I have a hard enough time concentrating on what I'm doing. Let alone keeping a conversation going. I guess I'm just getting too old.

riorider
10-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Mumblypeg that appears to be a Blue Heeler very smart dogs to say the least, I have a Red Heeler male who does not like the gun room or guns at all will run and hide in the bedroom. Had Blue female that went everywhere with me and not scared of anything had have her put down due to cancer.

GARCIA
10-23-2011, 09:53 AM
My old dog "Bear" has more gray on his muzzle than I do. I cast in the garage with the door open and he basks in the sun keeping his old body warmed up the best he can. We have one sided conversations cause he is about deaf. He needs hearing aids like what I wear. I loan him one ever so often so that we can hold a good conversation. Got to keep one of his ears clean cause I hate dog ear wax!!!

Tom

ColColt
10-23-2011, 10:26 AM
My boy, Bubba,(Pembroke Welsh Corgi) is a real gentleman and the joy of my life. He lets me do my thing and occasionally gets curious as to what I'm doing. The garage is attached and I leave the door that leads from the downstairs area(where the computer is)to the garage open in case he wants to come out and see what Daddy's doing. He'll come out, look up, circle around and usually go back inside. I leave the garage door open for ventilation and a 10 inch fan going to whish the smoke and fumes away and I've never worried he might go outside and amble down the road. I'd panic if he did.

thx997303
10-23-2011, 06:07 PM
My dog is an insufferable idiot.

I generally avoid interacting with it.

steg
10-24-2011, 02:05 AM
If I listened to rightwing radio I'd be too ticked off to cast anything............steg

drklynoon
10-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Of course lol. Dog curls up under the weight bench while I cast. She is a german pointer so she tends not to pick anything up just point at it, this includes balls, bullets, mice, and gecko's. She stays out of the way but we do talk.

PAI-Scott
10-26-2011, 04:49 PM
The wife swears I talk more to the dogs than to her.

Shiloh
10-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Not while casting as it is in the garage and they'll get bored and escape.
While reloading, yes. While commenting on politics on FOX or talk radio on the web, DEFINITELY !!

When reloading, Roxy will lay there, look at me and gently wag her tail when I talk too her. Eventually drifting off to doggy dream land.

Shiloh

BeeMan
10-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Not while casting, for her safety and mine. An 8 month old lab is still way too much puppy.

Reloading, again no. No distractions allowed.

Trimming brass or priming with a hand tool are good activities for sitting outside and let her romp around.

Ronbo256
10-26-2011, 09:59 PM
I've got 6 boston terriers, 5 females and a male, only one, Dixie, is calm enough to sit near me (about 8 to 10 feet away, she's smart) while casting and reloading. The rest want to sit in my lap and it's hard to cast with 25 lbs of dog in your lap! I talk to all my dogs, they listen better than most people I know, and they are smarter too!

olafhardt
10-29-2011, 01:43 AM
Maglvr, you post about your chickens, I have Rooster Cogburn and his four girl friends and one duck. Not having any saw dust I have been usimg hen scratch grain for fluxing. Seems to work fine.

altitude_19
10-30-2011, 11:35 AM
I believe my Shepherd/Beagle mix (Shabeagle) could actually explain the finer points of calculating ballistic co-efficient at this point. He has a bed by the reloading bench. I don't trust my own paws around molten lead...I sure don't trust his. That German blood drives him to do foolish things sometimes...