PDA

View Full Version : Is this a deal?

cabezaverde
02-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I have the opportunity to pick up a new in box Ruger 77 MkII in 308. The gun is stainless with the boat paddle synthetic stock.

The price is $375 total out the door. Is this a good price? I would want to change the stock over to a Hogue, which would be another $100 or so.

How do these things shoot, with j bullets and cast?

9.3X62AL
02-08-2007, 10:08 PM
I currently have 2 Ruger 77 Mk II's, in 6.5 x 55 (77R) and 223 (77RC). Both are sub-1" rifles at 100 yards with loads they like. That price is pretty darn good, and I agree about the stock on those critters. GOTTA GO!

cabezaverde
02-09-2007, 07:42 AM
I agree about the stock on those critters. GOTTA GO!

What stock did you put on yours?

obssd1958
02-09-2007, 07:31 PM
cabezaverde,
Before you go with the Hogue overmolded, think about what you're going to do with the rifle.
The Hogue weighs a lot more than the original stock, so if you are going to pack it around in the hills, that Hogue is gonna kill 'ya! A buddy of mine put one on his M77 MkII in 7mm, and after 2 days of packing it around deer hunting this past season - it's coming off!! He is just going to use one of the new limbsaver pads on the original stock.
If you are going to use it at the bench, then you will probably appreciate the extra weight.
Just our experience...YMMV:-D

Don

9.3X62AL
02-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Both rifles came with standard walnut stocks. I almost went for one of the stainless/canoe paddle plastic variants a few years ago in 35 Whelen, but I could not abide that stock. I got a CZ-550 Lux in 9.3 x 62, and didn't look back. Call me Old School, but hunting rifles should have wood stocks and blue steel--the earth is flat--and unleaded gas is for Coleman stoves.

Absolutely.

piwo
02-09-2007, 09:27 PM
A sub minute .308 rifle is worth $375, no matter the maker. Some "cheaper guns" can be made to shoot that way with judicious work, and many name brands won't do it without the same judicous tuning. Some never will. If I wanted a .308, I'd be more then a little tempted for a rifle of known sound design, by a quality manufacturer.

klausg
02-09-2007, 09:44 PM
One thing to be aware of is that on the MkII's, the triggers are no longer adjustable, well @ least the two I have. I lucked out on the one (.300 RSUM), the other (.30-06) isn't real bad, but may end up wearing a Timney when the bank account and the roundtoit are in alignment. I will tell you if that rifle was up here, I would've probably bought it out from under you already, good price and I can easily convince myself that I need another .308.

-Klaus