PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Alox for rust

cabezaverde
02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
I am thinking about trying liquid alox as a rust proofing agent for the recoil spring tube of my SP-10 waterfowl gun. That tube is buried in the stock, and every season it manages to get surface rust on it due to harsh conditions.

I am thinking I am going to try swabbing a few coats on the outside of the tube (non moving part) with a cleaning patch.

If it works for cars.................has anyone tried this?

trooperdan
02-09-2007, 12:37 AM
Well, it should work just fine since the original use of Alox was as a rust preventative! :) It was used much like an automotive undercoating.

357maximum
02-09-2007, 12:41 AM
I also use LLA slightly thinned with mineral spirits for all under the wood metal on all my irons(apply with cotton ball/ let dry/reassemble). You are on the right track,,, it works excellent for the hard to inspect/clean areas...they coated naval vessels with it for a reason:-D

tomf52
02-10-2007, 09:55 AM
cabezaverde - Google in Carwell CP90. Much less messy than LLA and probably the best rust preventative compound out there. Once a year with a rechargeable aerosol I spray the underside of my cars. Keeps them like new. Used by US Army, UPS, and others for rust protection. I use it on my guns exclusively.

Scrounger
02-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Tom, how about a group buy on this stuff? If someone wants to buy a 55 gallon drum of it, I'd be down for buying a gallon of it...

44woody
02-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Cabeaurde I would use alox 350 it like soft butter and not liquid I would think it would stay in where the spring is better if you would like a sample I will send you some just for the postage of $6.00 and scrounger there is a gb on liquid alox going on now give me a pm for more info :castmine: 44Woody

Scrounger
02-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Cabeaurde I would use alox 350 it like soft butter and not liquid I would think it would stay in where the spring is better if you would like a sample I will send you some just for the postage of $6.00 and scrounger there is a gb on liquid alox going on now give me a pm for more info :castmine: 44Woody

I was speaking for the Carwell CP90 someone suggested.

Guido4198
02-11-2007, 07:37 AM
For my tumble lube bullets I use Eastwood "Heavy Duty Anti Rust" sold by The Eastwood Company, Pottstown PA. They have a web-site: www.eastwoodcompany.com. The product I use is:...Eastwood part # 16017ZP. It is described as a "waxy oily coating, ideal for internal automotive surfaces such as rocker panels, doors, tailgates." Currently listed @ 12.99 for a 32 oz. can.Thin it w/ any suitable solvent to a consistency you like, tumble, let dry...load and shoot.
Hope this helps...
Don

mozark
02-11-2007, 09:09 AM
I've used ALOX 606-55 in my shop and around the farm for a number of years. Out of the pail it paints on to produce a 1/16" thick coat, perfect for storage of unnecessary machinery, and as undercoating for trailers and work trucks.

WRT Cabezaverde's question, I've found ALOX 606-55 to be very similar to the under the woodline preservative found on some mil-surp rifles. Partucularly Swedes and Finns. I use it under the the wood on some hunting rifles and field guns, but where fit or interference with the barrel chanel is an issue I still use Johnsons Paste Wax. Two coats of JPW on all the steel parts of the gun before the season, and never a speck of rust. Water runs off of the barrel and shakes out of the action.

MM

Imagine my surprise when I recently started hanging out here and found that I have 5 gallons of excellent smokeless lube.

OLPDon
02-11-2007, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=
but where fit or interference with the barrel chanel is an issue I still use Johnsons Paste Wax. Two coats of JPW on all the steel parts of the gun before the season, and never a speck of rust. Water runs off of the barrel and shakes out of the action.

QUOTE]

I like the idea of JPW have question. Do you polish JPW after it dry's?
Don

Ricochet
02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
With JPW for an under-the-wood preservative, I rub it on pretty heavily and don't rub it off.

mozark
02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I rub with a soft cloth before putting the metal back in the stock.

Another waterproofing/anti-rust anti-sieze trick (actually a furniture makers technique) is to warm the screws briefly in the flame of a propane torch and coat the threads with parrifin. Acts as a lubricant and prevents water from wicking between the male and female threads. Also works for the butt plate wood screws.

MM