PDA

View Full Version : Cheap snap caps

tomf52
02-08-2007, 07:43 PM
For those of you who wish to use them, snap caps can be readily made from the erasers from the Pentel 5mm mechanical pencils and a flat head brad. Use a sized unprimed shell and cut the eraser to the depth of the primer ocket less the thickness of the brad head. The eraser fits snugly diameter wise in the pocket. Push the brad through the raser and push both into the primer poket. Friction will keep everything in place or if you want you can push a piece of cork or rubber or even a dab of silicone sealer over the point of the brad inside the case to retain it better. The easist way to get the proper depth of the eraser is to put the nail in the pocket first, the eraser behind it and push in firmly and trim with a razor knife flush with the head of the case. Then take them apart and assemble in the proper order. If you can't find brads with the proper diameter head, chuck them in a drill and trim with a file or Dremel tool.

mooman76
02-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I've heard people say not to use an eraser because sometimes the firing pin gets stuck and thats no fun to resolve. A dab of silicon sealer works fine!

tomf52
02-08-2007, 09:07 PM
The firing pin never touches the eraser. It hits the head of the brad which is inserted into the eraser. Silicone is inadequate in my opinion to protect the firing pin.

Nueces
02-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Nice idea, tomf52

I haven't been comfortable with just rtv or the eraser, either. Thanks for sharing.

Mark