PDA

View Full Version : Gun show saturday

Frank46
10-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Went to a local gun show saturday. One dealer had a rem 8 or 81? autoloader in 35 rem. Funny thing is that it had real fancy wood I have not seen on other rems of that period. Beautiful streaking and color. Whoever did the finish did a great job. sadly I did not buy it. Bore from what I could see looked to be in really nice shape. Think the asking price was around $450 or therabouts. Has anyone shot these rifles?. This is one rifle that I have absolutely no knowledge of and would like to know more. Don't think its going anywhere soon given the economy. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I do have 60 rounds ammo, a rcbs two die set and some brass. How about it?. thanks Frank

got_lead?
10-17-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm drooling just hearing about it. I shot one in .35 that belonged to a friend's father and fell in love with it. They're a bit heavey, but very functional and well made. They were designed by John Browning, and are recoil operated like his A-5 shotgun. These are such very classic guns of the 1930's.

The Model 81 was the successor to the model 8. The 81 had a curved grip, the model 8 was straight. I prefer the older of the two designs, however, should a deal on one in decent shape come up, I'd be all over it. I keep looking for them in the gun shows.

The .35 was probably one of the better calibers that the rifle came in, unfortunately it's not that comon, and it's pretty expensive when you find it. But great rifle anyway, I'd love to find a nice one for around $400

ElDorado
10-17-2011, 01:41 AM
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb364/ElDoradoJeff/ForumPics/IMG_0712Mod.jpg

I have a Model 8 that was built in 1929. It has an unmarked tang sight that looks to be original. It also has a rubber butt pad marked “Jostam Mfg Co”, which also looks original, or at least period. This one is in 35 Remington.

The action on the Model 8 is the most interesting part for me. The barrel is enclosed in a shroud, and when the rifle is fired, the whole barrel recoils back with the bolt, then it moves forward and the bolt follows it, picking up the next round on the way.

There is a slot in the top for loading with a clip, but the originals are rare and I don’t know of anything else that will work.

I must admit, I haven’t shot it much at all. I purchased 3 or 4 boxes of new Remington ammo just after I bought it. I shot most of that, and reloaded 50 rounds of Remington 200 gr jacketed, just to try and replicate the factory load.

That was in 2006, and I just pulled it out about two weeks ago to shoot it again. I shot ten of the reloads and noticed that seven of the case necks were split. I checked the remaining forty that had been fired only once and I found several split necks there, too. I don’t know why I didn’t detect them during reloading. I stopped shooting after that. I’m not sure if it is the nature of the Model 8 to split brass, or if it is just my rifle, or if it was just brittle brass.

I just ordered some new Winchester brass, and I have a Lyman 358315 mould. I’ll see if I have some better luck with those.

I wish you would have bought that one.

Jeff

waksupi
10-17-2011, 02:52 AM
I had one and really liked it. Needed money, though. Sold to a board member. Never had any problems with it, and was sufficiently accurate. As Buckshot once said, when you squeeze off a round, every part of the rifle moves!

frkelly74
10-17-2011, 07:56 AM
Bonny and Clyde were both shot with a Model 8 that was chambered in 30 Remington.

gnoahhh
10-17-2011, 01:54 PM
The Model 81s only came in .300 Savage, did they not? I had one and sold it, just didn't care for it, but that's just me. A buddy said shooting it was like shooting a pogo stick from the way everything jumps around when it goes off! It was accurate though, but I never fired cast bullets through it.

The safety on those things is what gave Kalashnikov the idea for his safety on the AK-47, or so I'm led to believe. From looking at it I can see where that may be true.

rintinglen
10-17-2011, 08:24 PM
They kick too hard for "oomph" they deliver. All that Iron trundling back and forth makes for a jumpy gun. That said, One of my neighbors, when I was a boy back in Michigan, used one to collect his deer every fall. I believe his was a 30 caliber, but really can't recall for sure.

mpmarty
10-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Split necks cannot be blamed on the rifle normally. Tired old brass is more likely and or work hardened.

ElDorado
10-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Split necks cannot be blamed on the rifle normally. Tired old brass is more likely and or work hardened.

Some of those necks split on the first firing of factory ammo. Some were on the second firing of the brass. Unless the factory works the brass to death in manufacturing, I wouldn't expect that to be the problem, although it could happen. I do intend to disassemble the remaining loads and anneal the necks, then see what happens. As I stated earlier, I also have a different brand of brass on order, just to see what happens.

Jeff

Frank46
10-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks guys. At least I know more now than I did before. Found a you tube video on how it disassembles and looks fairly easy. All you need is the wrench for the muzzle nut and bushing. I've looked at the pics posted and I have to say that the wood on the one I saw was nothing like in the pics. Beautiful wood. Why is it the lighting at gun shows always stinks?. Had to take my specs off to try and find the caliber stamping. Thanks again, Frank