PDA

View Full Version : Who can do this?

Blackwater
06-13-2005, 11:00 PM
My Lee 45-230-TC mould (2 cav.) has some serious burrs on the top of the mould face, at the base of the bullet's bevel. I really don't like BB bullets, and though I can remove the burrs myself, I'd really like to get this mould turned to s flat base style, if anyone can do this well. I know a bit can be milled or ground off the top, removing the beveled part and lightening the bullet a tad, but I'd really rather keep the base band as long as possible in this mould, also, so looks like what I need is someone who can turn it accurately and remove the bevel.

Can anyone here do this work for me? I'd be glad to pay whatever it's worth. I like Lee moulds, generally, but realize they've got their peculiarities, like many good things do. Thanks for any help or references.

Willbird
06-14-2005, 06:34 AM
I know there is a moldsmith or two on the list, FWIW for the $13 midway gets for the molds I would start with a new one...that will get you the most life for the investmant.......

Bill

Blackwater
06-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Good point, Willbird. I took it today and polished out the entire top surface of the block on some sandpaper backed by plate glass. Worked good. The burrs are gone. I guess I'll give it a try as is, now.

An old dog CAN learn new tricks, but .... well, it just takes longer an' ya' gotta' listen to him whiz an' moan a bit, I guess? ;^)

Saeco lists a 230 gr. RNFP mould with plain base, and I may have to just order one of those. Saecos usually cast a bit heavier than their listed wt., but maybe it'd work for what I want to do.

Thanks for the response.

BTW, I used to cast a LOT, but have slacked off in more recent years. Tried some of the "Lee-menting" techniques on all my Lee moulds, and had never realized just how uneven some of them were. Works really well, and tightened them up. I'd hate to know how many bullets a couple of them have cast, so they were way overdue for a little "tune up."

Thanks for the good advice here, fellows.

drinks
06-17-2005, 10:25 PM
With all molds I get, I take an arkansas stone slip to the bottom of the sprue plate, after carefully taking a tapered drift to the holes from the top to depress any burrs so the slip will remove them.
Even on non aluminum mold blocks, some burrs are present and will score the bullet base and some times interfer with a good fill.
Don