PDA

View Full Version : 57,150 # of lead - group buy?

w30wcf
02-07-2007, 09:20 PM
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1108713&convertTo=USD

w30wcf

jballs918
02-07-2007, 09:23 PM
that auction have been up for a while we should bid on it

ron brooks
02-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Well, we need a Honcho in the VA area and I guess he could pack it up in Priority Mail flat rate boes for shipping if yo lived too far to come pick up your share of it.

Be a bugger of a GB to Honcho.

Ron

quiknot
02-07-2007, 10:33 PM
wow thats a lot of lead....a large group might have to get together....i would definitely be interested.....if the price were right

9.3X62AL
02-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Deals like these is why we have F-250's and oil company credit cards.

gregg
02-07-2007, 11:00 PM

:-)..................
YUP

OLPDon
02-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Googled Lead for sale:
And this was what was 1st on the list.

http://www.serconline.org/lead/legislation.html

Stand by boy's things to come with the tree huger's.:groner:

Don

ron brooks
02-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Ye sir, but with 25 buyers that is over a ton a person. Better bring a trailer. :-)

What might work good would be to get together and have someone do a run with a heavy duty gooseneck and haul a groups share back to home territory, perhaps with stops along the way? The driver would of course get a delivery fee. to help out with fuel and mileage for wear and tear.

What do folks think, make sense?

Ron

ANeat
02-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Ive watched a few of those Govt auctions for lead and they usually go pretty high. I would guess that someone with a commercial interest grabs it a few cents a pound cheaper that they get it from a foundry. If I lived close enough it would be nice to get a bargain. If its cheap enough swing by SW Ohio:drinks:

Adam

fatnhappy
02-07-2007, 11:39 PM
make sure that you list uranium enrichment shielding on your EUC. Maybe you can get homeland security to load it in their black vans on the way to your house.

Buckshot
02-08-2007, 05:15 AM
.............A ton of lead does NOT make a very big pile, believe you me.

............Buckshot

Michael in NH
02-08-2007, 09:11 AM
I'd be in for a ton or so, depending on what it goes for. I'd even drive down to pick it up.

Rottweiler
02-08-2007, 10:15 AM
If it was closer I'd take a ton or two

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
02-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Five or six years ago, I hauled a load (45,000lb) of this gov lead from Baton Rouge, La to Il., a small row of stacked ingots in a 48' trailer. There was a yard with hundreds of loads waiting, in the next yard were THOUSANDS of stacks of TIN waiting to go. Strategic Reserves, tax dollars at work.
Be aware that there may be a limited load time to clear this lead out, (all in the same day/load) check the details first.
Best luck,Nick:drinks:

Tristan
02-08-2007, 03:27 PM
You know, when I get moved to my 'forever place', I'll be looking to pick up a couple tons of lead. I'll probably never use it all, but it'll be comforting to have stacked in back... :-)

- Tristan

ron brooks
02-08-2007, 03:38 PM
If there is someone who is going to be or would haul it out west I would be happy to meet up with them and take a ton or two off their hands as well.

Ron

powderburnerr
02-08-2007, 04:04 PM
.. 2-3 tonnes for me as well if ya do it...Dean

tommag
02-08-2007, 05:27 PM
It sounds like Arkansas Packrat is a truckdirver too. I have a 53' reefer trailer and could haul 43K at a time. I don't have a HM endorsement or HM authority. I don't know it HM would be required for pb. The end user certificate thing makes me a bit nervous because I don't know what that is.

I haul from Portland Or to the east coast twice a month. If you fellers worked out a group buy on something like this, maybe I could make a little money on a back haul and MAYBE save you a little on freight at the same time. I would need in the ballpark of $1.50/mile and a fair amount of flexibility in meeting you for deliveries. More than a few days in making deliveries would have to cost more, for obvious reasons.

Just a thought and a shameless commercial plug.

I can be reached at 360-608-7254. That is my cel # and can be reached at any time, as I shut off the ringer when I sleep. It is turned off when I am at home.

My home # is 360-636-3259 during the day. My wife would take that call.

Hope this post doesn't qualify as spam, as it is somewhat commercial.

Tom Allman Sparrow Trucking ICC MC 446392

Bigscot
02-08-2007, 06:26 PM
I checked the map and that stuff is at the Norfolk Navel Shipyard. The map says Portsmouth, Va. which right there too. It's about 3 hrs from me. I wish I could get a pickup load. My sister lives not far from there.

Bigscot

dot6
02-09-2007, 12:25 AM
As Mr. Brooks said, if any comes west I could surely use a couple thousand pounds, maybe a bit more.

MtGun44
02-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Depending on the price, I'd probably buy a few thousand
pounds or more.

In KC area.

Bill

PatMarlin
02-09-2007, 01:52 AM
I haul from Portland Or to the east coast twice a month.\

Tom Allman Sparrow Trucking ICC MC 446392

That's good to know Tom.. a cast boolit shootin' trucker. I like that!!.. :drinks:

mike in co
02-09-2007, 03:18 AM
guys i think we should pass on this one.
first is there is a bumch of scrap steel with some lead on it......steel is just scrap.'
second the "batts white"....with the size shown would appear to be battary lead...and the white is oxide, probalby sulphur oxide.....none of that lead would be of use to us.
the location...a sub base/shipyard , and the batt size is common on subs.......

OLPDon
02-09-2007, 04:37 AM
Thank God I was looking were I would store it The Group Buy's are sure making my wallet easer to carry>(light wallet).
Don

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Tommag: I was Packrat MC-350083-P, then Jan 06 I sold out and moved to my "LASTSTOP" in AR. There is life after the road!!!!! Would not go back for any money, but would not have missed it for the world!!!

tommag
02-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Tommag: I was Packrat MC-350083-P, then Jan 06 I sold out and moved to my "LASTSTOP" in AR. There is life after the road!!!!! Would not go back for any money, but would not have missed it for the world!!!

Packrat, I wish I wasn't doing this, but you have to pay the mortgage. After 26 yrs I hate it, but I don't want to pay my dues starting over somewhere else.

Pat Marlin, I don't think I qualify as a cast bolit shooting trucker yet. I'm spending a lot of time trying to learn from my mistakes and really just getting started casting.

Wayne Smith
02-09-2007, 09:55 PM
BTW, the Norfolk Naval Shipyard is, and always has been, in Portsmouth, VA. Across the river. It has the Dry Dock #1, the first in the US, where the USS Merrimack was burned to the waterline and the CSS Virginia was built from what was left. It's still in active use. LOML has been there, read the plaque. She is a Geologist with the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and was responding to a spill.

Greg5278
02-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I've bought stuff from that site before. They give you 2 weeks from the date your EUC is approved for complete removal. They want it gone in one loadf, unless you make other arrangements. The EUC for a forst time person usually takes 3 months, but can be 6 months. You have no righ to the load until then. Winning an EUC auction, is a contract to buy, and if you can't move the load. Then they take the property, and your money, then asess you a 25% default fee. If you go through with this, watch out, as a trucking company coming too late for pickup will put you in a bind with lots of $.
Greg S

ANeat
02-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Well its at $7700 right now so thats getting borderline for most cheap lead scroungers I know at .134 a pound. Not counting any shipping or how much higher it may go.

felix
02-11-2007, 05:26 PM
I figure cost at 25 cents per pound of anything, lead, WW, etc. This includes making it into usuable stuff for the pots. ... felix

No_1
02-11-2007, 05:44 PM
I would read the small print carefully. If you read it carefully it also indicates that some of the weight is "steel contaminated by lead" AND "weight includes pallets". Which means that part of the total weight of 57,*** lbs will be other than lead. In the pics I see metal pallets, wood pallets, plastic containers, lead wrapped in plastic and plenty of steel. I would figure on a MAX of no more than 50,000 lbs of usable lead and since it originated from Norfolk Naval Shipyard, count on some zinc (it is used for ballast and also corrosion control).

Here is one more thing to throw into the mix. I was speaking with a friend of mine who has a satalite company there as well as here. He has indicated that 1 semi may not be able to ship the whole mess in one load based on the fact that he buys sand by the truckload and the most they can haul is 50,000 lbs and that is if they are using an aluminum trailer and a tractor (truck) that has minimum weight specs (i.e. no sleeper).

For what it is worth,
Robert

Robert

tommag
02-11-2007, 11:39 PM
you know what your'e doing, as usual. It's really cool to kick an idea around here and find out how much expertise there is on a given subject. It sure helps to prevent the "It seemed like a good idea at the time"syndrome. Robert is right on the shipping, too. 52K is about the max with a lightweight flatbed until you get out west and add more axles.

ANeat
02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
$12,500 with a little over one day left

w30wcf
02-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Guys,
With a few hours left, the next bid amount ($14,000) will = $ .25/lb. With the concerns about transportation cost, logistics and that it might not be all lead, ... to many unknowns. Besides, who has the $14,000 needed right away to pay for the stuff :roll:

Well it's been fun. Thanks to everyone that responded.

w30wcf

ANeat
02-13-2007, 06:38 PM
$19069.00 dollars or .33 a pound is the final bid, wow, I can get it at the local scrap yard cheaper than that.

leftiye
02-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Meee Too! (maybe a ton, if the price is good) I'm in utah, maybe I could meet the California Express in Arizona?