PDA

View Full Version : Bigger mold cavity?

dk17hmr
02-07-2007, 06:33 PM
I am thinkin that I could take my 230gr RN tumble lube mold and open up one of the cavities so it will throw in the .456-.458 range bullet. I read about casting a soft lead bullet then rollin it in compound and spinning it in the cavity.

Before I do that will beagling (taping) give me a bullet big enough to launch out of my 45-70 at low speed?

Cabin Fever, is setting in pretty good need some projects.

rhead
02-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I would try paper patching first. [smilie=1: It is hard to get those cavities back to the size they were if you decide that you dont like it. ( Don't ask how I know this.) You will need to find some paper that has a thickness of one fourth the amount you want to increase the diameter. It isn't that hard once you get your fingers trained out of the fumbles. If it is a little too thick it can be sized down to the right diameter. I have never Beagled a mold past .003 inches so I have no idea how far that can be carried. Try that too before removing metal from the mold. My advice is to try the non reversible things last.

beagle
02-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Usually, about .004" is the best you can expect from "beagling" without finning./beagle

44man
02-08-2007, 01:06 AM
You will never get a round boolit after you lap it. I would also go larger then what you are thinking about for the 45-70, at least .459 and maybe more depending on your gun. Much easier to buy another mold.