PDA

View Full Version : Linotype ?

mrbill2
10-13-2011, 01:59 PM
With the same mold. Does linotype cast larger or smaller bullets than wheelweights. I know I have read the answer before somewhere, but I can't locate it. Need a little help.
TIA
Mr. Bill2

selmerfan
10-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Larger. Depending on the caliber you can gain .001" to .002", at least that's what I've read, but I haven't had to try it.

mdi
10-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Page 58 of our "bible"; Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook, has a chart of Predicted As Cast Characteristics. A .44 caliber bullet mold that would cast pure lead at .4296", would cast
.4303" from wheel weights, and .4314" cast of linotype.

10-13-2011, 03:08 PM
"...our "bible"; Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook..."

I think every boolit caster should have a copy of at least one of the four editions, and refer to it often.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Bullets cast with Linotype will be larger and also weigh less. Info on this can be traced/found thru Saeco literature under what is referred to as the Terracorp formula. Bullets are also harder going up to and around 22 Brinnell which doesn't easily fingernail scratch. LLS

P.K.
10-13-2011, 11:13 PM
"...our "bible"; Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook..."

I think every boolit caster should have a copy of at least one of the four editions, and refer to it often.

+1!!! Not only that but have a refrence card next to the 'puter....."Alloy=Grains....Grains=ounces.....Hardness=to alloy."
ETC....I'm sure there are more cheat sheats but those come to mind really quick.

Char-Gar
10-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Linotype is rich in antimony. Antimony is one of the few metals that contracts when heated and expands when cooled. It was this property that enabled it to fill out the small detail in cast print type. Being rich in antimony it has less lead thus less weight.

So, this is why antimony will cast larger and weight less than WW or other alloys with less antimony content.

Linotype is great for small caliber molds that can use it's special characteristics, but is harder than necessary for most uses. The antimony crystals can also be abrasive and wear a barrel at a faster rate than alloys with less antimony.

I have allot of Linotype and I cut it 50/50 with pure lead for a good all purpose alloy similar in hardness to Lyman No. 2.

Taracorp Magnum also has more antimony than WW. It was developed to give a similar hardness to Lyman No. 2, but uses cheaper antimony over most costly tin to get to that hardness. While Taracorp has more antimony that WW, it has less than Linotype.