PDA

View Full Version : lead mixture

02-06-2007, 10:48 AM
at this time i only cast for targer pistol cal. i mix 10lb ww- 2lb lion- 6oz 60-40 soder. i know this is harder and over kill . it does pour good ans stays shiner a long time. my liontype is down to 800lbs . i am thinking of cutting it down to 2 lb. is any one using simler mixtures? i know a lot of you use only ww. i to use to water cool. this is a clean way for me. i use these bullest for up to 50yards compition. they are very good. what is your take? the way i smelt is---i use 3 plumer furnices with pots from 60-200lbs size. i first melt the ww , i do not clean them before melting, i judt leat what ever is on them burn off. i d take out the rubber stims. then pour in 5 lb moulds. my 60-40 is in 2-6 oz sizes. the lion is in printers strips . after i have 500-1000 lb ww and this may be off and on for 6mo. and when weather is good i then mix. i had been using the 60lb pot but now i have 200lb i will be wsing it ot mix in. i weigh my mixture. i take out maybe 50 lbs them add by weigh some even amout maybe 30 or 40 ww with right lion and 60-40. if you are always adding the right mixture it does not matter how much you take out or how much you add. i feel with the bigger pot my mixture will stay more even. thanks

ANeat
02-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Interesting, What type of target shooting do you do?? I shoot NRA bullseye and my mix for my 45 is 50/50 WW and pure lead with 2% tin added. I plan on trying even less WW in the mix as Im a believer in bullet fit more that hardness. I have know shooters that had to use a harder alloy just to get their bullets the correct size (as most off the shelf molds are designed for something like a Lyman #2 alloy) and trying a softer mix results in a smaller dia bullet dropped.

Back when I decided to try this I had Ballisticast cut me an H&G 68 mold that would throw a bullet the correct size with my softer mix and luckily so far the results have been great.

Adam