PDA

View Full Version : Barska Scopes

1Shirt
10-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Good/bad/indifferent??????? Expect to see a lot of variance and comparisons in the responses to this question. Am only however, interested in comments by those who have a Barska scope, what it is mounted on, satisfaction/dissatisfaction, love the thing, hate the thing etc.
Am not interested in comparison to top of the line scopes, just honest evaluations.

Have never seen a Barska except in ads and just wonder for comparison with other of the cheap scopes. Seems like every time I turn around there are new cheap scopes on the market, and they are all mfg in china.

Thanks in advance to all who respond to this thread.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Echo
10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
I bought one on eBay, a spotting scope, and it appeared to be very sharp, but basically NO eye relief! Had to take off the spectacles and brush the eyepiece with my lovely long lashes. Can't stand that, so I re-sold it on eBay, mentioning that I needed more eye relief. Hope the other guy can use it

docone31
10-10-2011, 12:40 PM
I have a few Barska scopes. They are great, for what they are. I went with the 50mm as I had a good clear view rather than with the 44mm. With that one, I had to back off maximum zoom as it got white.
Aside from that, they take recoil, they work for what they are.
I like them.

birdadly
10-10-2011, 12:42 PM
I have a Barska 3-9 on a M&P15-22 and I like it on there. It's just a .22 though and so wanted a cheaper scope to try out. No recoil to speak of so maybe that doesn't help you. It's clear in the daytime at least and fairly crisp.

I just got to look thru a friend's Barska spotting scope 2 weekends ago and I really liked it. It was a nice sunny day though. From 50 to 200 yards the thing was extremely crisp and vivid. I was impressed because he had bought a package deal at Gander that included that spotting scope and something like a 4-24 scope. The deal had something like a $70 rebate. He figures he'll put that on a .223 that he wants to get in the near future. Hand-holding the scope, it seemed clear at 200 yards and I think it would be just fine on his .223.

So my experiences tell me that they're good for low to mid price-ranged firearms. -Brad

357 Voodoo
10-10-2011, 12:44 PM
I have one and for a cheap scope I cant complain. Mine is the 3.5-20x50 varmint and I have it mounted on a rem 700 .223. All tho their not a top of the line scope it is pretty good considering I'm not going to spend more than I paid for the rifle on optics.

David2011
10-10-2011, 01:01 PM
After the experience I've had with my Barska spotting scope I wouldn't buy one of their rifle scopes. It's useless in its upper power range and the contrast is poor throughout the range. It's fine for looking at targets at 100 yards but by the time I get to 300 yards there is not much definition. I can't see bullet holes in white paper targets at 300. The rifle scopes may be a little better but I've wasted enough money on bad scopes that I'm willing to spend a little more now, FWIW.

David

Wally
10-10-2011, 01:23 PM
I have a 50mm Variable Barska AO riflescopes--two of them, that I use on a 7mm Rem Mag & a .30-06 Rem 700's...I shoot reduced loads and cast bullets only and both have worked just fine--I shot each over 500 times with no problems. I am not sure if they'd hold up to a steady diet of full factory level loads.

justingrosche
10-10-2011, 01:42 PM
I have one of there 24x fixed power Target scopes mounted on my bushmaster varminter. The only reason its still on there is I haven't found a good deal on a replacement. Like has been stated previously, not very clear optics at extended distance. IMO.

Wally
10-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I have one of there 24x fixed power Target scopes mounted on my bushmaster varminter. The only reason its still on there is I haven't found a good deal on a replacement. Like has been stated previously, not very clear optics at extended distance. IMO.

24X is a supreme test of optics...I would guess that you have carefully adjusted the focus that is trickier to do at such a high magnification. I have two 6 x 18X Variables with a 50mm Objectives. At high power they are quite sharp, but when the ground heats up it affects the performance. I then crank down the magnification. They aren't Zeiss quality, but I cannot afford a $1,000 Zeiss They offer good performance and work well for me.

50-170-700 sharps
10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I have several barska optics and I'm impressed with their quality for the money. Of course, the calibers i have them mounted on are only rimfires: a 17 hmr (10-40, fairly blury at 40x but what do you expect for a 75 dollar scope?), a 22 Lr (3-12, pretty crisp and a steal at only 40 dollars). I also have a barska spotting scope, and a pair of barska binoculars. What the others previously said about eye relief on them is correct - you have to snug your eye right into them (the spotting scope), but the clarity on all of these is pretty good and i've shot some good groups with them. Don't expect them to be Swarozski's that can handle the recoil of a 460 weatherby, but for occasional rimfire shooting they perform quite well and are a good value.

Wally
10-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I have several barska optics and I'm impressed with their quality for the money. Of course, the calibers i have them mounted on are only rimfires: a 17 hmr (10-40, fairly blury at 40x but what do you expect for a 75 dollar scope?), a 22 Lr (3-12, pretty crisp and a steal at only 40 dollars). I also have a barska spotting scope, and a pair of barska binoculars. What the others previously said about eye relief on them is correct - you have to snug your eye right into them (the spotting scope), but the clarity on all of these is pretty good and i've shot some good groups with them. Don't expect them to be Swarozski's that can handle the recoil of a 460 weatherby, but for occasional rimfire shooting they perform quite well and are a good value.

At 40X you might have to tweak the focus a bit. IMHO the critical factor is--will they hold zero. Mine do and I think the clarity is quite good and acceptable. A 50mm objective makes for a wonderful sight picture.

Ben
10-10-2011, 03:28 PM
SAVE your $$$$$$$

I bought one NIB a few yrs. ago from MidWay, neither the elevation or windage knobs would move the bullet impact .

The two knobs " free - wheeled".

No more for me.

Wally
10-10-2011, 03:35 PM
SAVE your $$$$$$$

I bought one NIB a few yrs. ago from MidWay, neither the elevation or windage knobs would move the bullet impact .

The two knobs " free - wheeled".

No more for me.

The turrets on them have 3 small set screws--they must have come loose. The purpose is so one can loosen them to set them to read "0"... Comes in very handy but you need a fine bladed scredriver to tighten/loosen them...

Guesser
10-10-2011, 04:40 PM
I bought a straight 6X, worked very well for what I wanted at the time. I have a NIB 1.5X-6X-42MM that is still in the box. Both were the EURO 30MM. I'd buy again if I didn't want to spend much. They worked and that is all I require.

Ickisrulz
10-10-2011, 04:42 PM
After the experience I've had with my Barska spotting scope I wouldn't buy one of their rifle scopes. It's useless in its upper power range and the contrast is poor throughout the range. It's fine for looking at targets at 100 yards but by the time I get to 300 yards there is not much definition. I can't see bullet holes in white paper targets at 300. The rifle scopes may be a little better but I've wasted enough money on bad scopes that I'm willing to spend a little more now, FWIW.

David

I have a Barska spotting scope (20-60x) also. .22 cal holes at 50 yards are no problem. .30 cal at 100 yards OK. .30 cal at 200 yards cannot be seen.

firefly1957
10-10-2011, 05:03 PM
I have two 4 X32 rimfire scopes I use them in low light for around the yard pest control and they work great.

white eagle
10-10-2011, 05:14 PM
if I am going to put optics on my rifle
it sure isn't going to be a 50.00 Walmart scope
no offense to anyone here but why skimp on optics
when that counts the most next to your handloads >?

Wally
10-10-2011, 05:18 PM
if I am going to put optics on my rifle
it sure isn't going to be a 50.00 Walmart scope
no offense to anyone here but why skimp on optics
when that counts the most next to your handloads >?

Not difficult to try one out to see if it will work for you---the top end scopes cost many hundreds of dollars and may not prove to be any better for most of us. However if I were a hunter and factor in the high cost of hunting...I'd go with a high end brand.

shotman
10-10-2011, 06:12 PM
the 2 I have work good BUT eye releaf is touchy they dont give you much to play with. 1/2 in means a LOT

Doc Highwall
10-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I have several of them, SWAT 3.5X-10X and two of the Benchmark scopes. The first Benchmark I bought was the 40X and I liked it so much I bought the 8X-26X. I have shot the 40X a lot on my 308 Winchester and it holds zero.

The 3.5X-40X40mm has a 30mm tube with fast focus eye piece, side parallax, target knobs, and a Mil Dot retical.

lavenatti
10-11-2011, 07:01 AM
I have a cheapo set of Barska binoculars. Each side focuses differently causing instant 'headache' when using them. You can 'kind of' use them looking through only one side but even then they are poor quality.

They'll make a fine target soon.

firefly1957
10-11-2011, 07:55 AM
lavenatti sounds like you may have a loose prism, I have a decent pair of binoculars that the grandson dropped once to often and the do the same now.

lavenatti
10-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks, I'll see if I can take them apart and repair them.

TheDoctor
10-11-2011, 08:10 AM
I have one that is a 44 mm, illuminated reticle variety. Overall, I wouldn't say its blurry, but can not seem to get it into sharp focus. Maybe that makes it blurry. Illumination control works ok, but is not quite bright enough. Sighting adjustments are iffy. Some clicks adjust more than others. But its impossible for me to get a sharp picture. Wouldn't think of using it past 100 yards. I guess you get what you pay for.

DragoonDrake
10-11-2011, 01:00 PM
I have three of them. I have one of the 10-40x on a 223 that I varmint hunt with. It holds zero and except that my eye relief changes throughout magnification I am happy with it there. I have a 3-9x on my gamo air rifle and so far so good.

I had another 10-40x on my 30-06 but when shooting high end cast loads for rifle silhoutte the zero would move all over the place. When shooting 120gr bullets with red dot I had no problems. That scope is now on my 22lr bench gun and my only issue is that I get loosing clarity. I will either call Baraska and see about a replacement or get a new scope.

I have bought a couple of scopes since my last baraska and they have been either bushnell, simmons, or leupolds. I will get buying those three from now on. Clear, crisp and consistent eye relief.

leadman
10-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I had a 3X9X50 mil-dot. Eye relief was short, but I went turkey hunting with it and found a turkey, but when I brought up the gun could not find the turkey! I had it on 3X, turkey was about 40 yards, but just could not seperate the turkey from the ground litter. Turned the gun sideways "gansta" style and shot the bird. I had no trouble finding the turkey in my Pentax binoculars.

P.K.
10-11-2011, 11:21 PM
IMHO, Barska is great with stationary optics. I have a 90mm spotting piece that makes my son do handstands over because he can see the moon in such detail it's "awesome" in his mind. In mine, a keeper at the price I paid for it. Another keeper is the Plinker 3X9 mounted to my 10X22. Crisp and holds zero. Excellent buy at under 30.00 bucks. If you are looking for "shock" acceptable optics, save your $$$, but if plinking, spoting and lunar or other spoting are in your future....maybe a good option. Treat it with gold gloves though. It may be a decent optic, treat it well, it's crystal. It will break if not taken care of.

troyboy
10-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I bought 2 3-9x50 IR absolute junk. Gave both away and will never buy another. Lots of good optics in the 100-200 range. Save a little longer and spend a little more.

9.3X62AL
10-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Only a Barska spotting scope (20x-60x) so far, and I would call it usable but limited. Clarity goes out the window at high mag and/or long distance (past 300 yards). It was cheep ($79), so I deserved what I got--a usable but limited tool. I won't sample their rifle scopes, and would like to replace the spotter before varmint season.

crabo
10-12-2011, 09:28 PM
CameraLand just sent out an email today with a lot of Vortex on sale.