PDA

View Full Version : Is This Possible?

JohnH
10-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Not sure where to put this, so if it belongs elsewhere, please move it...

Every year, tax time is kinda my years Christmas to me. I spend all year thinking of all the neat things I'd like to have then go out and buy something comepletely different... go figure. Anyway, I've thought and thought and thought about it, and I'd like either a 223 or 30-30 carbine barrel for my Contender set up with a folding, or flip type "express" sight with two leaves, one regulated for a cast boolit load for small game and one regulated for a full velocity load (223 would obviously use condom type projectiles) for larger animals like deer. Now I know some would have distaste of using a 223 on deer, and I'm not gonna argue that here. Suffice it to say that large deer here are 160 on the hoof and the 223 has become a close range favorite amoung some. Think perfect shots...

Regardless of choice, (I'd even want to do this on a 38-55 barrel, one load using the Lee 250 and another using the Lyman 265 GC at 1300 and 1800 respectively) I want to explore the idea of a simple folding fixed sight set up for two loads, wherein a fella with a single shot could carry an empty gun and load/sight according to opportunity or load and sight say for larger game but be able to swap out loads and sighting for lighter work.

I would anticipate 125 yards being my reasonable maximum range with fixed sights on large game and 50 yards on small game.

I've given this some thought, and I'm sure that I'd be in the fix of being able to use two loads and only two loads. I can do that. I've even thought through to how to have some working idea of setting up the sights. One could begin by using a scope and sighting in for one load at a given range and then sighting in the other load. This would give a known windage and elevation change from one load to the other, so that the iron sight could be regulated in it's making. At least so it seems to me. I really don't know diddly about how a gunsmith would make such a sight nor all the info they would need, so I'm seekng help here to determine if my idea is workable or just more nonsense my brain generates from time to time to confuse me with...

MtGun44
10-09-2011, 11:46 PM
British double rifle makers did this for different ranges, not loads, but the same principle, if
you only use one range, for multiple loads. They started with too-high leafs and filed them
down (CAREFULLY!) until they got what they wanted.

Actually, it would be easier to put a quality target peep sight on the gun and just spend
enough time on the range to know what the clicks difference is. With quality rear sight,
this is absolutely reliable. Talk to someone that has competed in NRA High Power competition,
where you learn (by taking careful notes!) how to reliably "drive" the sights around to get
your basic zero at each range. Light and wind will affect this some, but you can really count
on clicking from one sight setting to another and back. So if you are at the big game setting,
you may know that the small game setting is 20 clicks up or whatever.

A fairly doable alternative is to load up a load for one range, probably the big game load, and
set the sights where you want. Then ADJUST THE SMALL GAME LOAD to hit where you
want by changing powder/charge/boolit wt. but leaving the rear sight alone. Any boolit will
kill a rabbit or grouse from a 38-55 at 50 yds. Same sight setting - two loads. One hits "ON"
at 100 and say (for example) 2" low at 125 (or less, I am just guessing) and with your small
game load it is "ON" at 50 yds exactly for a grouse head shot, without changing the sights. It
will take a good bit of rangetime, but this has been written about in decades past by several
of the "big name" gun writers.

Bill

shooter93
10-10-2011, 06:57 PM
I've used a number of "leaf" sights both for different ranges and different loads. I generally have a quarter rib installed and then mout the leaf sight on it. Works like a charm.

1Shirt
10-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Possible, yes------Probable maybe, keep us posted.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

rockrat
10-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Why not mount 2 lyman folding leaf sights on a barrel, with different blade heights? Use one for cast and the other for jacketed loads. Would require two dovetails on the barrel. A lot cheaper than an express sight.