PDA

View Full Version : Mauser guestion

lreed
02-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Hello. I have a '93 Spanish Mauser, military config, 29in barrel,the bore is "junk". I'd like to get this old gun in shape to shoot cast,I haven't been able to locate any 7mm 29in takeoff barrels as yet. There are a few 8mm 29in small ring barrels around,probably Turkish, are these barrels a viable option? Is there a great difference in 7and 8mm mauser as being ''cast friendly''. I shoot cast, but have no experience with either cal. Thanks for any advice, ideas,replies. LReed

Bass Ackward
02-06-2007, 07:25 AM
Hello. I have a '93 Spanish Mauser, military config, 29in barrel,the bore is "junk". I'd like to get this old gun in shape to shoot cast,I haven't been able to locate any 7mm 29in takeoff barrels as yet. There are a few 8mm 29in small ring barrels around,probably Turkish, are these barrels a viable option? Is there a great difference in 7and 8mm mauser as being ''cast friendly''. I shoot cast, but have no experience with either cal. Thanks for any advice, ideas,replies. LReed

Mr Reed,

Walther of Germany used to make brand new barrels that you can get threaded and short chambered that are exact copies / contours minus any markings and sights. If you are interested, search for Lothar Walther and navigate through their site until you find the page.

bruce drake
02-06-2007, 07:38 AM
SARCO may still have 6.5x55 Swedish Barrels in 18.5" lengths available

Google them and give them a call.

Bruce

lreed
02-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks for replys,I suppose I'm getting "old and soft hearted" can't stand to saw on any old rifle stock that is complete, so I'd want to stay with 29in barrel. I must stay with available take- off military barrels because of budget"retired" I have molds for both 7@8mm , so would like to stay in these cal. I have no exp with either calibre with cast bullets and am in need of advise on which is better with castbullets? Thanks Lreed

versifier
02-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I would go with 8x57, given the choice. Better round for hunting with cast I think.

wmitty
02-06-2007, 10:09 PM
I have a M 93 7x57 that mikes .291 across the grooves- so I'd try for the 7.92x57 if I had the choice. I'm swaging .308 bullets down to shoot but there is very little consistency in the lube groov es when this is done. Be easier to go with the 8mm in my opinion.

Buckshot
02-07-2007, 12:35 AM
.................A small ring 7mm 29" long would be tough to find. It is possible you might find a large ring 7mm of that length in pretty good shape as a take off of a Brazilian M98/08 or other south American Mauser. If you jhave any active gunsmiths locally you might give them a call to see if they have one in the corner.

You could also post your wants on the Buy-Sell forum at Gunboards.com. I think you have to be registered/signed up to post. Also list it here on our Buy/Sell forum as there are a couple gunsmiths as members here.

..............Buckshot