PDA

View Full Version : In-ear or behind-ear muzzle blast protection

Naphtali
10-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Hunting season approaches. At the shooting range I use solid ear plugs plus passive ear muffs to protect my hearing. In the past I have used my solid ear plugs when hunting, and they work. . . . But I want to be able to hear normally - I can live with "enhanced" hearing - while having instant muzzle blast protection that approaches the protection afforded by my solid plugs.

One solution I reject completely is to acquire muffs incorporating electronic blast cut-off. . . . I will not consider these. Less obtrusive devices, such as in-ear and/or behind-the-ear devices would be acceptable, but I will not consider devices having custom molded ear canals whose fit I would be unable to adjust as my ear canal changes over time. . . . Another "but": User reviews I have found for such devices have pertained 100 percent to the hearing aid or "enhancement" facet. So far, I have not read a single review (Amazon.com) that evaluated noise cut-off relative to shooting.

Devices I have considered have prices from under $20.00/pair (chump change) through nearly $300.00/one unit. I cannot identify a solution within this price range although this does not mean a solution is not available. I have no idea whether a significantly higher price range will afford devices that will do what I want done.
Since I have successfully hunted for decades with plugs that suppress all sound, forcing me to rely on vision only, I do not need to buy something just to be buying. Times change. Technology improves. And I have not been paying attention to improvements.

Those of you who have solved blast reduction the way I want to solve it - please, PLEASE, PLEASE furnish me with details.

BruceB
10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Naphtali, amigo;
[
"One solution I reject completely is to acquire muffs incorporating electronic blast cut-off. . . . I will not consider these."

You make some very blunt statements, but don't explain them.

WHY will you "not consider" electronic muffs?

In cold-country hunting (as your Montana locale is likely to be) I find the muffs to be extremely helpful.

1. They amplify sounds for my LOUSY hearing ability.

2. They mute the horrendous blast even from my braked .338, let alone more-moderate combinations.

3(a). While increasing my hearing ability, they KEEP MY EARS WARM. Most cold-weather clothing actually drastically impedes hearing, even for those with normal hearing ability.

3(b). While the muffs are keeping my ears warm, my head in turn keeps the muffs at a temperature which reduces the power loss in the batteries, which normally becomes a factor in cold conditions.

(By "cold", I mean Alberta/Montana cold...maybe twenty or thirty degrees BELOW zero, Fahrenheit. I used my electronic muffs on my last Alberta cold-weather hunt, and they made it much more pleasurable.

So....why do you dislike them so intensely?

RugerFan
10-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Bruce- What Brand/model of muffs do you use?

BruceB
10-09-2011, 03:37 PM
On that last Alberta hunt, I had a pair of Pro-ears Dimension II muffs. These are uppish-priced muffs, and were given to me by my wife. Unfortunately, they seem to have fallen by the wayside about a year or so back (lost or stolen).

Since then, I've been using cheaper ones on the range, by Leight and Caldwell. These aren't nearly as good as the missing ones (no surprise there) , so I reckon I'll just have to swallow the price and get a replacement set of GOOD quality....not the thirty-buck specials.

gray wolf
10-09-2011, 04:18 PM
http://usarmorment.com/sonic-ii-ear-valves-new-updated-version-18db-nrr-p-655.html

I used this type for years while shooting and hunting, I believe these are Generation 2
Just a thought.

bobthenailer
10-10-2011, 06:06 PM
IMO Most of the in ear electronic styles arent very good ! you will have to get the walker game ear and up to get a decent one . i use a set of PRO EARS muffs for hunting for the last 12 years when useing the 454 casull .

WildmanJack
10-10-2011, 06:30 PM
I bought a pair of Walkers Game ears and had them attached to silicone ear pieces that they make at the guns shows. These are he ones that they squirt into your ear and custom fit. I've had them for 4 years now and they work great. For the cost of replacing the silicone plugs at a gun show once the old ones won't fit they're well worth the money...
Just my dos centavos...
Jack

DCP
10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
When I go to the range I always wear muffs and plugs

When I hunted I never use hearing protection

I don't have a exact # but I bet it would be a lot shots fired during hunting to hurt your hearing.

All my hearing tests show above average hearing. Probably had 20 or more hearing tests

Lets see I have been around

Loud music
Outboards
Motorcycles
Boats
Chainsaws

I am sure I am missing something

troy_mclure
10-10-2011, 09:45 PM
visit wallmart and pick up a pair of surefire fox ears. i used them for black powder and 7mm mag with no issue.

Adam10mm
10-13-2011, 02:34 PM
If it's legal to hunt with a sound suppressor in Montana, that's the way to go.

cajun shooter
10-16-2011, 10:34 AM
I have a set of the fitted ear plugs and they work very well. If you put a small amount of beeswax or similar product into your ear before inserting them, the seal will be much better. The ear man that did mine gave me that tip and the difference is noticeable.

buck1
10-16-2011, 10:39 AM
At wallmart they have electronic blast cut out ear -plugs- that work well, 20-30 bucks.