PDA

View Full Version : Hollowpoint depth?

Treeman
02-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Any input on ideal hollowpoint depth? I just got a Forster Hollowpointer. The instructions suggest 1/8th inch depth. That isn't much....my first choice for hollowpointing is the 358429. I have never laid my personal paws on the 358439 which is the HP version but pics I've seen seem to show a very deep cavity. My alloy consists of 2 parts backstop scrap to 1 part WW. I'm GUESSING that it has a BHN of 8-9 I would welcome info on experiences with straight WW as well. Also experieces using the Forster HPer on .40s .41s and .43s (You can even call 'em 44s if you wish.) :^)

crazy mark
02-06-2007, 12:14 AM
When I hp a pistol mould I go down to the grease groove if possible. On rifle moulds I kinda guess what would work. I make my pins so I can adjust them about 3/16" if needed. Mark

beagle
02-06-2007, 12:22 AM
I normally make my HP pins extend down to the grease groove the same as Mark does. Most of the Ideal/Lyman factory HPs were made like this as well./beagle

Bass Ackward
02-06-2007, 07:30 AM
There is a difference between molding .... and cutting. :grin:

I think you are going to learn to be very satisfied with a 1/8 deep hole. :grin:

MT Gianni
02-06-2007, 09:16 AM
I have a 358439 and understand it has a deeper HP than the 358429hp. The listed difference was about 5 grains. I am on the highline this week or I would measure the pin depth. I have had ok target success with the lee hp's which can be only a dimple in depth and would try Forster recommendations then go from there. Gianni.

StrawHat
02-06-2007, 09:53 AM
I don't know if it really matters but the 358429 and 358439 were desined by Keith and hterefor designed to be cast of a binary alloy.

I have a 358439 and when cast from WW it doesn't expand nearly as nicely as when cast from 20/1 (Pb.Sn)

Others may have better results with different alloys but WW did not do it for me as far as expansion.

For target work, or where a 35 caliber hole was sufficient, 358439 was as accurate as wadcutters from my 38's.

Bass Ackward
02-06-2007, 10:26 AM
I have a 358439 and when cast from WW it doesn't expand nearly as nicely as when cast from 20/1 (Pb.Sn)

Others may have better results with different alloys but WW did not do it for me as far as expansion.

Straw,

Now you know why old timers shot 20-1. I still shoot a fair amount of it, especially for low pressure stuff. I have designs that won't work with any other mix.

But can fill your nose with candle wax by just dripping it in and scrape the top even with a knife. Just like with 22LRs, this starts expansion immediately and amplifies expansion. I used to use plain 22LR hollow points on starlings and they came down. When I used a hollow point filled with wax, only feathers came down.

WHITETAIL
02-06-2007, 10:38 AM
1/8 is a start ! Then I would make samples of deeper H.P.s and try them to see. Because we don't know what you setteled on for a load.

StrawHat
02-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Hey Bass,

"Straw,

Now you know why old timers shot 20-1." (emphasis added)

I represent that remark! And proud of it!

Shuz
02-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Treeman--Let us know if you solve the problem that I've encountered with the Forster HP device that consists of the drill blinding with lead shavings.

Bass Ackward
02-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Treeman--Let us know if you solve the problem that I've encountered with the Forster HP device that consists of the drill blinding with lead shavings.

Shuz,

If you ever get any of that Bull Plate lube from Dan, try that on the drill. Works for me. Just like Brille Creame, just a little dab will do ya. :grin:

Larry Gibson
02-06-2007, 12:05 PM
The depth depends on the maleablility (how soft it is) of the alloy and how fast you are pushing the bullets. I've use the Forster HPer for years and find with a soft alloy the 1/8" works quite well at magnum handgun velocities (1400-1500+ fps). You will get very good expansion and litte sloughing. With the 358156 cast of lead and driven to 900+ fps in .38 Spec +P loads a depth to the front driving band gives excellent expansion (equals the WW & Fed FBI load).

With rifles shooting HP cast I've shortened most all the stems to give a depth not more than 5/16ths and most often less. This allows good expansion using a correct alloy with minimal sloughing. The long stems that Lyman HP moulds come with are way to long for proper expnasion and minimal sloughing (weight retension) in my opinion.

Larry Gibson