PDA

View Full Version : lee 6 cavity mould 124gr tl 2r vs tc

Fellas
10-09-2011, 06:53 AM
I am a new caster please can you help decide which one i am going to shoot form glock 19

thanks

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Fellas,
since you're a newbie, I'll add this disclaimer:
I think Glock says not to use cast...and may void the warrentee.

With that said,
I know many people who successfully cast for glocks.
9mm is a high pressure round,
I would seriously consider a GC boolit for it,
unless the gun will cycle with a down-loaded round...and that is your goal.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_25&products_id=23
I have this mold from the Ranch Dog.
it feeds well in my Ruger P90 and my Hi-point C9.
Jon

snuffy
10-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Fellas,
since you're a newbie, I'll add this disclaimer:
I think Glock says not to use cast...and may void the waurrantee.

No firearm companies allow the use of reloaded shells in their guns. Glock says lead boolits can cause problems because of the type of rifling used.

With that said,
I know many people who successfully cast for glocks.
9mm is a high pressure round,
I would seriously consider a GC boolit for it,
unless the gun will cycle with a down-loaded round...and that is your goal.

I know of no 9mm boolit made to accept gas checks, It's not needed, but the boolit should be cast hard (er) than normal handgun boolits.

As for which mold to get, any of the 2R molds will work great for 9mm. Since it appears you want to use the tumble lube, Lee Liquid Alox,(LLA), you can still use LLA for the normal 2-R lube groove boolit. It's easier to cast than the TL boolit. I use the 124 TL-TC boolit for 357 sig loading, but haven't tried it for 9mm,,,YET.

ku4hx
10-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I have both in six cavity and just this past week I cast approximately 3,500 ... 1/2 that total from each mold. My alloy is 92% Lead, 2% Tin and 6% Antimony; commercially that's "Hard Ball".

I loaded and fired 50 of each bullet through my Glock Gen4 19 just yesterday and the results were outstanding: very accurate with no key-holing. After making two passes with a patch wet with rubbing alcohol, my bore was perfectly clean; I did this after each boolit's 50 rounds. A new bronze brush over a clean white towel revealed no visible lead removed. Interestingly enough, the TC boolits were sized .356" in a Lee sizer and the RN 2r's were unsized since they cast at .356"-.358". Both loads were 5.5 grains Power Pistol, Federal small pistol primers and a mixed bag of brass. All dropped freely into and out of my gun's chamber. Haven't clocked them yet, but 1,100 - 1,150 fps seems a likely MV. I couldn't be happier

Functioning in my model 19 has been flawless now through approximately 1,100 rounds with the last 100 being these two sets of 50 test rounds.

Truthfully, the only advantage I see for one over the other is the as-cast size of the RN 2r using my alloy required no sizing. For both boolits (both are the traditional lube design) I tumble lubed using LLA followed with a light dusting of Motor Mica to take care of the tackiness.

I was firing lead alloy boolits through my Glocks starting in 1991 which was loooong before I heard of anything "wrong" with it. Tens of thousands of alloy boolits through my various Glocks have caused zero problems. I do; however, get real picky about cleaning them thoroughly after firing alloy boolits. Not just the bore, but the chamber and all the little nooks, crannies and corners where deposits of all kinds can accumulate. Dental picks work really well in those places.

Which one you buy is your choice of course, and from my experience you'd be well served with either as long as you have the particulars of load, specific alloy, lube and appropriate boolit diameter all in place. Shoot, they're dirt cheap so buy them both and enjoy the confusion as which to use when.

mpmarty
10-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Shot IPSC with a Glock 21 for fifteen years using a 200gr semi wad cutter over five grains of Red Dot. Cleaned the gun religiously at least twice a year. Never had a problem.

BoolitBill
10-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Snuffy, I know you feel it is not needed but: http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/13838
It is more work and more expense but this boolit helped me to solve a leading problem I had with a Star 9mm.

MtGun44
10-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Check this out.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=121737

IMO, TL is less likely to lead to success with a 9mm than a conventional lube groove design,
but many have succeeded with TL, but a large number have reported problems and have
switched to conventional. The attraction is the lower cost of TL (no lubrisizer) but you
can pan lube and possibly shoot unsized, or size with a cheap Lee pushthru die after
pan lubing. Start with a cheap 2 cavity mold and if you need to switch the cost will be minimal.

Bill

GooseGestapo
10-10-2011, 01:27 AM
I've had excellent success loading for my Glock M22 in .40S&W. I use the conventional mould as the two 175gr TL moulds I've used both threw bullets too small. The conventional TC-FN moulds thow to ~.402. I've used them successfully with either tumble-lube and no sizing, or with Sizing to .401 and lubed with SPG. Over 4.0gr of Bullseye they are a mild, accurate load. No leading problems observed. Neither of the TL moulds were satisfactory through either of several Glocks, but also a 4006 and 1006 Smith and Wesson.....tumbling/keyholing bullets and bad leading.... but, I was using straight w/w lead with no heat treating, additives, or hardening.

In 9mm, my current favorite bullet is the Lee .358 125gr RFN as in "cowboy bullet". This casts to .360" and sized to .358" and lubed with SPG is unbelievalby accurate from my 3 Perf.CTR Smith and Wesson 9mm's, and a S&W Super-9 as well as a sub-compact Springfield HD 9mm. I stumbled on this by accident. I "accidentally' loaded some of the .358" sized bullets in the 9mm load. I decided to see how they would shoot, and if they would even chamber. Do they!!! Even more accurate than the 120gr TC (not gas checked) at .356". I had previously shot some resized to .356 and got good accuracy. I found it's not neccessay to size them down for the 9's. So, I just shoot them through both 9mm's and .357/.38spl at same size. Heck, 2 weeks ago I killed a 6mo. old coyote pup with it at ~20yds. He was hanging out where he was causing some concern in a rural neighborhood.That and he had a "healty" case of mange mites. He was too curious about my "make-shift" predator call by using a blade of grass and making a "mouse" squeek..... bullet didn't seem to expand, but took him behind shoulder and exited far hip..... Enough shock he couldn't get up and run.... just laid down and took a nap..... buzzards held a feast in his honor...... Load was the 125gr RFN over 5.2gr of Hod. LongShot for about 1,100fps from 3" bbl, and just over 1,200fps from the 6" S&W PPC-9 "Limited".
Sized at .358" they shoud be just the trick for the Glocks. I seat them to the crimp groove and apply a medium "taper" crimp. The taper of the 9mm case seems to be enough to ensure proper headspacing with the "fat" bullet....

williamwaco
10-13-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't know anything about Glocks.

I do know something about loading for the 9mm. I have owned well over a dozen of them, Browning, Star, Colt, Barretta, Kimber, even a Ruger Blackhawk.

I like 115, 125 gr bullets. I do not like the 147gr bullets.

You absolutely do not need a gas check on a 9mm. All you will do is take twice as long to load and spend three three times as much money on bullets.

Either tumble lube or conventional bullets are fine and there is no advantage of one over the other.
Since I discovered LLA and Lee 6 cavity molds about a year ago I have completely retired all my conventional molds and use the Lee 124gr truncated cone tumble lube. sized .356 or .357.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/340779/lee-6-cavity-bullet-mold-tl356-124-tc-9mm-luger-38-super-380-acp-356-diameter-124-grain-tumble-lube-truncated-cone

I have loaded it to 1600 fps in my Thompson Contender. It is very accurate. I load it to about 1000 in my 1911's.

It has become my only 9mm bullet because it does everything I want.

I cast it from 100% clip-on wheel weights, air cooled. Water cooling or heat treating is totally unnecessary and a complete waste of time. ( If you have already done it, use them. Just don't fool with it in the future.)

Boolseye
10-13-2011, 10:48 PM
As the owner of a six-cavity TL356-124TC, I recommend you listen to MtGun and go with the conventional lube groove, yes, in a two cav. The TL system is, indeed, problematic in the 9mm (IMHO). A lot of keyholing unless you have exactly the right load.

Fellas
10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
i am going to use this alloy 2.5 parts of 87% lead 3% tin 10% antimony With 10 parts soft or close to pure Lead Water cool is it ok

Bowen4
10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Check out RanchDog, I believe he offers a 9mm, tl, gas check, 6 cav. mold!

Boolseye
10-14-2011, 10:46 AM
i am going to use this alloy 2.5 parts of 87% lead 3% tin 10% antimony With 10 parts soft or close to pure Lead Water cool is it ok

should be OK, maybe a little more tin. Water dropped is fine, fit is more important (+.001 at least).
Have you picked out yer boolit yet?

Fellas
10-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Hi thanks all for the great info you give for the beginners in this subject . I think i am going with the TL 356-124-2r this is because it have a shoulder which can hit the rifle not like the other one 356-125-2r it has a wide rounded shape which can hit the rifling and to avoid it you need to seat down the bullet too far which can lead to more pressure and you can't control the shooting

thank again everyone and keep up the great stuff for us shooter and now casters

Recluse
10-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Hi thanks all for the great info you give for the beginners in this subject . I think i am going with the TL 356-124-2r this is because it have a shoulder which can hit the rifle not like the other one 356-125-2r it has a wide rounded shape which can hit the rifling and to avoid it you need to seat down the bullet too far which can lead to more pressure and you can't control the shooting

thank again everyone and keep up the great stuff for us shooter and now casters

I'll just tell you right now and right here that I have that boolit mold and it is the sorriest, most useless boolit I have in my entire inventory.

Doesn't matter which 9mm I fire it out of (Beretta, Taurus, Sig, H&K, Browning or even the 9mm cylinder in the Ruger Blackhawk), that boolit is about as accurate as a politician's promise to cut taxes.

I've worked with that boolit for over two years now with the help of a lot of the expert 9mm shooters here and thousands of cast boolits and fired rounds later, no joy.

Conversely, the TC design seems to be exactly the opposite.

I know it's not the "cast" part that the guns have a problem with because they shoot the TC just fine and they shoot the .358-105 SWC just fine and with excellent accuracy.

But my experience with that TL124RN is that it is one of the most useless things Lee has ever produced.

:coffee:

Boolseye
10-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Full disclosure–I have mixed feelings about the 9mm TL design. In many ways I like my TL356-124TC. I have a 6-banger, I can cast a pile of boolits in a hurry and I have experimented enough that I've found a decent load for them. Mtgun has a good point, though, and the boolit has a tendency to keyhole if you leave it's comfort level, which seems to be pretty narrow. I think that a standard lube groove boolit is the way to go if you want to be driving it up to the velocities that a nine is capable of, or if you want to use a variety of powders. You will be more limited by this boolit, but it its not without it's merits. Since I shoot primarily standard or target velocity loads, it works out OK for me. I chronoed my load the other day–4.8 gr. #5, averaging around 835 fps, plenty of oomph for a piece of paper, quite accurate, no leading to speak of.

gefiltephish
10-15-2011, 01:18 PM
9mm GC both RNFP and TC:
http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=35-120A-D.png
http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=35-125A-D.png

I haven't tried these, but I do like my Accurate Molds 30-30.

fecmech
10-15-2011, 02:55 PM
The Lee 120TC with lube groove IMO is the better design. I have shot that bullet in 3 different 9MM's with excellent results and even my Keltec .380. It is extremely accurate in my .38 spl and .357 handguns and rifles. Tumble lubing has it's place (I use it myself in the .38 spl) but it's way down the list of what I would use in a 9MM.

DLCTEX
10-15-2011, 07:31 PM
We're having good results with the lube grooved Lee 358-125 RN sized to .357 and lubed with BAC. This is in a S&W M&P.

Boolseye
10-19-2011, 10:49 PM
We're having good results with the lube grooved Lee 358-125 RN sized to .357 and lubed with BAC. This is in a S&W M&P.

Do you mean the 358-125-RF? I see a 356-125-2R as well.

MtGun44
10-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Stick to conventional lubed designs and save yourself some grief. I have had great
success with 356-120-TC

Bill

evan price
10-20-2011, 02:38 AM
I've got the TL-356-124-2R in a 6-cav. I had some problems with a Springfield XD where the shoulder of the boolit would cause the extracting case to jam on the edge of the shoulder and stovepipe. I no longer load for that gun (was my neighbors who moved) but in my guns I love the 358-105-swc in my 9mms now and that's what I am using. I imagine it would jam in his gun too but it works in mine.

gwilliams2
10-21-2011, 08:14 PM
The family and I have put 10s of thousands of rounds (boolits) down range with 3 different Glock 19s. We are using aftermarket barrels (Lonewolf), but have sent quite a few through the factory barrel as well... Haven't had any issues to speak of. My current load is 120 RN TL .357 Dia, liquid Alox, 4.1 Unique and a OAL of 1.15.