PDA

View Full Version : Some people have no idea of value

alfloyd
10-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I can't belive that some one paid this much for a sizer die for a 458 Star sizer die.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370546986050?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

They must not know about our form member that makes them.

Lafaun

gandydancer
10-08-2011, 09:34 PM
maybe they collect san diego stamped dies??

Longarm
10-08-2011, 09:39 PM
People pay stupid money for reloading stuff on ebay. I've seen many items, from Rcbs and Lee dies to Dillon presses go for as much, if not more than you could buy a new one for.

uncle joe
10-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I tried to figure out a way to let someone know that they could buy what they were bidding on NEW for half what they had bid once, but couldn't decide how to do it. I should have asked a question about the item and maybe it would have been posted for all to see I guess.

MtGun44
10-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Some are foreign buyers where prices are much higher than USA prices or the items are
not available there at all otherwise.

Of course, some are just folks that want something and have no idea what it is worth, but
not all of them.

Bill

Sheldon
11-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I tried to figure out a way to let someone know that they could buy what they were bidding on NEW for half what they had bid once, but couldn't decide how to do it. I should have asked a question about the item and maybe it would have been posted for all to see I guess.

The seller has the option of allowing any questions asked about his auction to be displayed on the auction or not.....gonna give a high probability....he doesn't let your question show!!!

I used to sell a lot of extra reloading gear on Ebay and was happy to see the phenomenon....whatever the reason!!

waksupi
11-01-2011, 07:33 PM
If Buckshot would put a bunch of odd ball sizes on Ebay, he may be able to get rich!

garym1a2
11-01-2011, 08:15 PM
When I sold reloading stuff a couple years ago my best byers where always in Europe. If you think US prices are high try living in a country that hates guns.

ku4hx
11-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Several years ago I questioned a seller who'd priced portable ham radio antennas at several times what they were selling for on ham radio supply sites.

The seller responded basically telling me to mind my own business and he'd sell his goods at whatever price he wanted to. I just let it drop.

Some people choose to pay more than what something is worth. I personally know people who will not buy from discount houses of any sort. They firmly believe the higher the price the higher the quality.

Whistler
11-02-2011, 10:46 AM
garym1a2 might be on the right track.

If something costs $30 on MidwayUSA chances are that it costs $100-120 on MidwaySverige (Sweden). Since they have a local office in Sweden, you are not allowed to order from the USA web store. The local office is a joke though, they just add prices without letting the package land, it goes directly from the USA warehouse to the customer in Sweden, just as if you had ordered from the USA website. So if you can get the same thing for $50 on eBay, you pay the price.

GLL
11-02-2011, 10:53 AM
The eBay seller for this die is a very reliable and honest individual that I have dealt with for many years. I know he DOES allow comments !!! He does not control the price... bidders do ! They need to do their homework before even signing up for eBay ! :)

Jerry

390ish
11-02-2011, 05:20 PM
I think the only thing crazier is a real auction. You get guys who were dragged in their by the wife and decide that if they have to be there, they are going to go home with that Brazillian single shot scattergun. If you get two or more guys, an item like that can go for $200 or more. Folks like that typically don't reload, however.

Bad Water Bill
11-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I have delt with this seller so many times he doesn't wait for the money order. It is sold to me it goes in the mail NOW.

I have seen folks bidding 35-40 dollars for a set of Lee 6 cav handles when they were on sale at midway for $11.00.

Some people are either to stupid or lazy to look for deals. Must be nice to have that kind of money.

rintinglen
11-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Amen, brethren. I can not begin to count the number of times that I have seen stuff, especially "gunny" stuff go for ten to 20 percent over the cost of new. Back when e-bay still allowed gun part sales, this happened all the time. Folks get caught up in a bidding war, and soon someone is the proud owner of a nice used item that only cost twice what it ought to have gone for. Still, I don't gripe. I occasionally get a winner, like the 4 cavity 429-244 with handles setting on the bench waiting for the week end to get here. $80.15 delivered, with handles, and the mold looks unused!

FN in MT
11-03-2011, 06:37 PM
I often wonder the same thing myself.. Are these folks Rich , lazy or really stupid??

Then again several yrs back I decided to sell my small assortment of Ruana knives on E-Bay. Rudy Ruana was a MT guy who built good workmans blades, nothing fancy, simpply good, sharp knives.

He died several yrs earlier. TWO buyers got into bidding wars on each of the customs I had listed. I had hoped to clear $600 on these three knives with a Grand as my wildest dream.

I ended up with $920 for one, $860 and $840 for the other two. NOW I see crazy buyers in a different light. LOL.

FN in MT

evan price
11-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Some people think that if it's on eBay it is a bargain and never check anywhere else. I almost fell in that trap when I started casting and discovered Lee molds really were $20 plus shipping for two cavity models.

I will pay up to $40 shipped for a mint Lee 6-cav with handles and box because that way it's like free handles, IF it is one I want.

Been wanting a hollow point 358156 mold lately but the Lyman HP molds go for stupid prices. Need to look around and find an alternative, like a multi-cavity HP mold.

John Boy
11-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Check out these 'Bargains'!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lyman-Ideal-Hand-Bullet-Mold-32-20-Cast-Lead-/380356459128?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588f02fa78

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Ideal-38-Bullet-Mold-/230696202469?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b690b0e5

azrednek
11-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I have a shoe string relative that supports himself, very comfortably I might add selling collectible items on Ebay. This is no exaggeration, I have seen him make thousands on items he paid a few dollars for. A good example was an old shoe box full of gauges he paid $5.00 for. Turned out the gauges were new old stock for a WW1 era German aircraft and he made over 10 G's.

mustanggt
11-03-2011, 08:18 PM
There are few places that you can get good old Lyman moulds than on Ebay. I've gotten quite a few over the last couple of years and they cast really well. It's your money and you can do what you wish. I try to do a good job of informing myself and knowing what an items true value is. I set my limit and stick to it. I have gotten into a bidding war on an item or two, getting competitive but for the most part I stick to my plan. Then I don't feel so bad about paying for an item that I am bidding on that way. It's a great way to do business I think and were I to sell anything on there I would want to get as much for it as possible. A fool and his money are soon parted should be the rule of the day. It is an auction after all.

alfloyd
11-03-2011, 08:47 PM
"Check out these 'Bargains'!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lyma...item588f02fa78

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Idea...item35b690b0e5 "

Yes, but the price on these are set by the seller.
Maybe he does not know what they are worth.
I don't think he will get what he wants for them.

Lafaun

Jacko.357
11-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Prices are crazy here in Australia. We are charged 3 times the prices you pay in the USA for Sizing Die's, Moulds etc, LLA is $11 a samll bottle. A H & R Handi Rifle is $550, a Marlin 1894 .44 Mag is $1180. There are export bans in place on many items at your end and many Online retailers will not sell anything to International Customers whether or not it Falls under your State Department Restricted sale items. Sometimes there is no option for us but to buy used items off EBay, even when we are charged ridiculous Postage and pay too much for an item in USA terms we still finish way ahead over local prices.

regards Jacko

alfloyd
11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
"Check out these 'Bargains'!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lyma...item588f02fa78

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Idea...item35b690b0e5"

What happen? These items have been removed from ebay.

Maybe he became aware what they are really worth.

Lafaun