PDA

View Full Version : Silver cases?

soldierbilly1
10-08-2011, 08:52 PM
OK, I shot a match today in my club and I was handed a bunch of 9 mm brass, for free! Mostly once shot brass FC so I felt kinda good.

Numerous 9 mm FC cases were silver in appearance. Are these nickel plated brass? If so, can I reload them? or, should I just chuck 'em?

thanks, just used to yellow brass!!

billy boy

longarm85
10-08-2011, 08:59 PM
If they are nickel ,yes you can reload them!

Stick_man
10-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Look inside them at the primer flash hole. If they are berdan primed, they probably aren't worth the extra hassle and expense to reload. If they are boxer primed, they are good to reload and are nickel plated brass.

MtGun44
10-08-2011, 09:47 PM
There are steel (dull gray usually, but sometimes plated with tin) and there are aluminum
cases (Blazer brand) and these are mostly not reloadable due to Berdan primers (two
or three flashholes). Some steel .45 ACP are reloadable, I have done it. If they are real
shiny and Boxer primed, they will be nickeled cases and are brass underneath, and
work just fine.

Bill

CATS
10-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Cut one in half, then you see what the other guys are talking about. I would think that they would be reloadable if someone gifted them to you. Good Luck!

timkelley
10-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Scratch one with a knife, if you find brass and it has only one flash hole, load-shoot-repeat.

Jal5
10-09-2011, 12:29 PM
I have a bunch of nickel brass in 38 spl and they work fine. I segregate them for one particular boolit and load. Joe

HeavyMetal
10-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Be aware that Nickle case need a serious deburring if your going to run them through a steel sizing die!

I have scratched steel dies with 45 nickel brass because of this. Carbide dies are a none issue.

Turn the case with your fingers while you feel for any burrs on the case mouth and deal with them as you find them.