PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358477 F

Harry O
10-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Can anyone tell me what the "F" stands for?

Just got it. Looks good. Will be casting with it soon so I can test against the 358446 and 358429.

Ben
10-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Most likely a coding number used by Lyman to identify the specific cherrie used to cut that particular mold.

Trey45
10-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't know if this has any merit here or not, but some of those molds drop bullets with sharp, well defined corners, and some drop bullets with rounded corners, speculation here, but maybe the letter code tells which one it is?

FISH4BUGS
10-07-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't know if this has any merit here or not, but some of those molds drop bullets with sharp, well defined corners, and some drop bullets with rounded corners, speculation here, but maybe the letter code tells which one it is?

I seriously doubt it. That question comes up once in a while. For years it has been said here that is the letter denoting the cherry used to cut the mould. The cherries wear out after a while and are replaced as they make the moulds.
I even have seen 2 letters on them. I have one that has a BV on it.

Trey45
10-07-2011, 07:39 PM
That's the one I have the 358477 BV letter code.

runfiverun
10-07-2011, 09:46 PM
those indicate when and who made the cherry.

higgins
10-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Lyman has changed that design over the years. I have a SC from the 60s that casts sharper corners on the nose of the bullet; the nose section is longer; and the base portion is shorter. The overall length of the bullet looks to be the same, but it looks like it was redesigned to put more of the bullet inside the case to make the loaded round a bit shorter. These are comparisons to a DC from the 90s. When I first got the DC, I thought I would increase production by casting with both molds, but I could tell at a glance that the two molds cast different bullets. I went ahead and cast a few hundred and separated them.