PDA

View Full Version : Post Recticle

nighthunter
02-05-2007, 02:04 PM
A lot of years ago my father had a couple of Weaver scopes with a post recticle. They were low power scopes of 2X and 4X if I remember correctly. The post and crosshair recticle made target acquisition fast and easy in the deer woods. Does anyone make the same or similar setup today? I'd love to have one on my 45-70.
Nighthunter

Ben
02-05-2007, 02:10 PM
I have one of these on a 250 / 3000, Mauser 98 that I deer hunt with. Mine works great.

There is a " catch " however, this one is is a 26 mm scope, not a 1" as we are all accustomed to . Rings aren't easy to come by. I ordered my 26 mm Leupold rings from Midway for about $32.

Hope this helps,

Ben

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ultralux6x42.html

onceabull
02-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Nighthunter: I've had & have several makes with this type of reticle,normally on relatively short-range rifles (by my standards) One especially favored is the "command-Post"which was available some Bushnell scopes of the 60's and 70's(maybe later but I don't know that) The ones I use/used were the "scope-Chief"line which I'm told was the top of their line during that era. Suggest you peruse the often maligned e-Bay listings,as I'm still seeing that type of reticle on listings there fttt. Have used weaver,redfield, and lyman,and bausch & lomb scope with that sort of reticle also..weavers and Scopechief line tend to sell for less... Best of luck, if you can't find anything you like in a reasonable time frame ,get back to me.. Best, Onceabull

threett1
02-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm a post and crosshair fan. Have one on a Handi in 45/70. Call it my dangerous game rifle:mrgreen: Its a 1X Weaver and is great for heavy cover stuff. Do a search on ebay for Weaver scope and read thru the long list. You will find them there. Please don't bid against me though. I love old steel tube Weavers. Its an addiction.

Scrounger
02-05-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm a post and crosshair fan. Have one on a Handi in 45/70. Call it my dangerous game rifle:mrgreen: Its a 1X Weaver and is great for heavy cover stuff. Do a search on ebay for Weaver scope and read thru the long list. You will find them there. Please don't bid against me though. I love old steel tube Weavers. Its an addiction.

You might call T K Lee (http://www.scopedot.com/) and ask them if they do posts as well as dots. There is a fellow up in Washington, Wally Siebert is his name, I think, that also does reticles. Here's a link showing his phone number as well as other companies who might be able to help you.

http://www.premierreticles.com/links.html

45r
02-05-2007, 07:27 PM
The trigicon scopes have illuminated post reticles and are tops on my list when I buy my next scope.I like aimpoints for fast shooting in thick brush and took a nice old swamp buck with one on my S&W 44 mag revolver this year and a big doe also.Put the dot high on the shoulder and they dropped like a rock.They're great for offhand shooting and on revolvers in the field.

lovedogs
02-07-2007, 02:11 PM
A few years back one of my sons gave me an old Weaver 300 (3X) that had quit working. I sent it to that fella down in El Paso who rebuilds old Weavers. It has the big post reticle and I wanted it for a woods rifle. He went through it completely and installed a new K4 adjustment system in it. It's a real good scope so far, too. I've used it on my .45-70 and love it.

threerivers
02-07-2007, 02:36 PM
nighthunter. I too am a fan of the post recticle. I have used an old K-4 Weaver on my 338/06 for a lot of years. It makes a great timber elk/deer outfit. I believe Leupold still offers this recticle and you can order a scope with it from them. Happy hunting.