PDA

View Full Version : mirage effect?

charger 1
02-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Yes, I'm shooting that 450 AK a bit. Just some 60 yd load work up. I've got an area near heat exhaust from my house. Its very cold up here now. I'm wondering if mirage could make shots string vertcally a total of 3.5" ?

arkypete
02-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Yes, I'm shooting that 450 AK a bit. Just some 60 yd load work up. I've got an area near heat exhaust from my house. Its very cold up here now. I'm wondering if mirage could make shots string vertcally a total of 3.5" ?

Not sure about mirage at 60 yards but I can warrent they my shaking and trimbling from the cold would!
Jim

Bass Ackward
02-04-2007, 08:16 PM

Ha Hah! Boy this brings back nightmares. Could be mirage? :grin: I .... don't .... think so!

Cold weather used to really give me fits. Especially, if you are using olgival designs. And the faster you want to run, the worse the effect gets. Slow way down like to 1400 fps or less and your problem will be minimized. Or shoot the first two shots quickly off the target and then fire a group after the barrel has warmed up some.

This is where your lesson begins about lube really being fouling in a bore. Not much way around this if you are using Bee's wax based lubes. And lubes with Lanolin are the WORST!

It took bullet design to break my cold weather chains. Changed to a design that has a scraper on it to get that crap outta the bullet's way. I shoot the olgivals in the summer now when lube won't affect the bullets.

Lithi-Bee has become my cold weather lube for larger bores just in case you want to know. It will stay fairly stable down to -15 if you mix it soft. Either that or Lyman Super molly if you need a store bought lube. Much colder than that, and you are better off changing bullet designs if you need those first couple of shots. Or slow down.