PDA

View Full Version : Bore Riders OAL

thehouseproduct
10-01-2011, 11:58 PM
It seems to me that with a bore riding nose, OAL would not be as vital as a boolit with an ogive. I haven't experimented, is this the case?

btroj
10-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Depends. Big problem with a bore rider is that the nose to bore fit may not work out well for your mould/gun combo.
I still like to have a firm contact between the full diameter section and the throat.

thehouseproduct
10-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Depends. Big problem with a bore rider is that the nose to bore fit may not work out well for your mould/gun combo.
I still like to have a firm contact between the full diameter section and the throat.
Oh wow, I bet there is at least 0.500" between the lands and the full diameter section in my whisper.

btroj
10-02-2011, 08:28 AM
For a whisper it may be different if fired in an AR. You need to look at things like feeding thru a magazine. Sometimes there are considerations beyond pure accuracy. I shoot lots of lever actions- I need ammo that feeds thru the magazine so I am limited in what I can do in some areas.
Not every bullet/gun combo requires the same loading techniques. Some depends on the level of accuracy you are after. Are you shooting off a bench for groups or plinking? Hunting? How far? What are your expectations? All these factor into what you may, or may not, need to do.
I suppose the first question is this- how are the bullets shooting as you have them currently loaded? Don't fix what isn't broke.
Is your bullet even capable of contacting the throat and still being in the case? Your gun may be throated longer for jacketed bullets and you may need to get what you get.
As you can see getting max accuracy isn't always easy or the only consideration. My goal is always to get the best accuracy I can while having ammo that feeds, is easy to load, and doesn't require too much effort to get lots of it.

thehouseproduct
10-02-2011, 11:28 AM
I doubt I could load the boolits I have to touch the lands. However, it does give me some ideas about a cast only wildcat that was discussed in the wildcats thread a ways back.