PDA

View Full Version : Hunting varmits

DIRT Farmer
10-01-2011, 05:25 PM
My Dad who I live with, like most old farmers likes his livestock. Two years ago he wanted some chickens so off to the farm store and he bought some chicks. He wanted to keep them in a box in the house with a heat lamp so he could watch them grow, as he is not realy able to get out side. That didn't last to long as my wife as understanding as she is had enough of the smell and dust quickly. As chickens do they grew, most of the roosters became supper and the hens laid eggs, and kept the bugs and ticks out of the yard. Dad would set at the window and watch his chickens.
A few days ago they started dissapering, Dad began lecturing his 60+ year old son on the urgency of solving the problem. Last night I heard a ruckus in the hen house while making up some fire lapping loads for the 303 British, 4.5 grains of green dot under a paper patched 311-291 lyman rolled in 320 grit. As the load was just assembled, and the rifle was handy, I shoved one in the chamber, set the safety and grabbed the flashlight. At the range of 3 feet, snarling, with some feathers in his mouth, is beady eyes glaring in the light and preparing to charge, I diden't even have time to use the battle sight, I fliped the safty off with my thumb and rifle in my right hand, flash light in the left, I fired. The load preformed wounderfully, no exit to damage the walls and one possom paws up. All in all a good evening and to celebrate I had a beer before bed.
Then I remembered why I quit drinking beer in the evenings about 2 AM.

cdet69
10-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Congrats on the dead tree rat.

DragoonDrake
10-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Sorry on the lost birds but congrats on getting the culpret

x101airborne
10-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Them 2 am wake-ups are heck, huh? I get em after the third or so bottle.