PDA

View Full Version : Outer's Foul Out Failure

guninhand
10-01-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm using Outer's Foul Out in a barrel with a visible abundance of metal fouling. After set up and hook up, when I turn it on the cleaning light is on for about 1/2 second then the clean light comes on. The solution I'm using is 12 to 15 years old. Is that the reason for failure? I was told it being an ionic solution it couldn't change with age.

walltube
10-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Are you using a F.O. III? Copper fouling or lead?

The electrolyte, you say, is 12~15 yr. old. This suggests to me that this solution is perhaps for the older F.O.II device. F.O. II electrolyte is not compatible with F.O. III. I know this..:), been there, done that. No harm done to rifle or unit, only, it does not work very well.

Also, if the "cleaning rod" has not been squeaky-cleaned of the collected fouling materiel, the unit will indicate a 'false' signal.
Good Luck.

Be Of Good Cheer,
Wt.

dragonrider
10-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Of course you know that there can be no contact between the rod and the gun. Just sayin. I use a F.O. II and IMHO there is no better way to remove lead or copper fouling.

guninhand
10-01-2011, 01:24 PM
It's FO II and there is no contact between the rod and the bore. I've used it often in the past. It's all clean and properly set up.

geargnasher
10-01-2011, 04:27 PM
My FOIII won't touch fouling from high-antimony lead alloy. If it's lead alloy fouling, go after it with a bronze brush wrapped in a small patch cut from a 100% copper Chore Boy or O'Cedar scouring pad. Then degrease and try again with the FO.

Gear

imashooter2
10-01-2011, 05:32 PM
15 year old solution that has been reused over and over or 15 year old fresh stock? It shouldn't go bad sitting on the shelf, but it does wear out.

MtGun44
10-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I agree with imashooter2. Shelf life should be near infinite. Sounds like bad connections
or oily rod or bore. Wipe rod with alcohol on a new patch, and push an alcohol wetted patch
through the bore. Must remove all oily residue so the solution will wet the rod and bore.
Acetone will work in place of alcohol, too.

Bill

dudel
10-02-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm using Outer's Foul Out in a barrel with a visible abundance of metal fouling. After set up and hook up, when I turn it on the cleaning light is on for about 1/2 second then the clean light comes on. The solution I'm using is 12 to 15 years old. Is that the reason for failure? I was told it being an ionic solution it couldn't change with age.

1) Battery or wall wart? My FOII works best with the wall wart.

2) Rod has to be CLEAN. I wipe it down with brake cleaner.

3) Rod cannot touch the barrel (but you already knew that). Make sure the o-rings aren't fouled with lead from a prior cleaning.

4) I don't think it's the solution (assuming you are using FOII solutions with the FOII). IIRC you can use FOIII solutions with FOII unit; but not the other way around. My solutions are almost 20 years old. I don't use the FO often, but when I do, it works great.

5) You might want to check the voltage at the clips. Not sure what it should be; but that would eliminate a broken wire or connection on the board.

HTH

Don

Moonie
10-06-2011, 12:31 PM
I've heard of issues just like this when using the foul out system in stainless barrels. I have yet to use my home made one in a stainless barrel.

Wally
10-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I have a OFOII and use their Lead Out solution that is over ten years old--works just fine. I have a Ruger SS Blackhawk that is prone to lead up. The OFOII works just fine removing the lead fouling.