PDA

View Full Version : magma pot repair

09-30-2011, 10:16 AM
has any one replaced the heating elements in the 90 lb. magma pot? mine is going hot-cold hot, lead getting cold then back on. it may be the thermistate. has any one had one go bat. to early to call magma. they are 3 hr. behind me.

D Crockett
09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
if they are anything like a 40 lb pot it is easy now here is somethiong it could be to is the thermistate is going bad on you I have had that happen to me a number of times the reason for that was the line I had my master caster on did not have enough amps to power the pot right might want to check your amps on your line to see if you have enough amps hope this helps D Crockett

09-30-2011, 11:07 AM
It was wired for 220 to my work table for the pot. I am not sure with out looking if it is 20-30-or 40 amp braker. I put what ever magma said i needed. The way it hicked on and off i am thinking it is the thermostate also. Any idea of the cost for one?

Arnie
10-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Ive fought the thermostat in my 90 pound pot till sparks were flying one day .I took it apart and the thermostat was toast and some of the wire connecters were burnt up.I got a new thermostat from them and bought some stainless connectors . The common wire connectors wont hold up under the heat were dealing with and an electrician that delt with high heat said to use steel or ss connectors .Arnie

10-20-2011, 11:17 AM
I got her fixed. After replacing the 3 heating elements it still did not work. I then replaced the thermostat. It works grate now. I guess i could say i have a new 90 pound pot. I wish i had started with the thermostat first but now everything is good. If you have to replace the thermostat you will have to calabrate it with the little screw in the center of the knob shaft.

Moonman
10-20-2011, 02:07 PM
If it was the Thermo, don't throw away the old heating elements.

Springfield
10-20-2011, 02:58 PM
My connectors burned up twice as they aren't stainless and probably should have been. The third time I just soldered the wires, end of problem. Solder always conducts heat better than any crimp on connector. I have a 110v 40 pounder.