PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter

corvette8n
02-03-2007, 05:25 PM
When using a multi-cavity mold and a bottom pour furnace does it matter if you start filling with the hold closest too you or farther away.
I seem to have a better casting rythem filling the farther one first.

arkypete
02-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Corvette
I doubt if it matters.
Jim

MT Gianni
02-03-2007, 05:53 PM
With the Lee 6 cavity's I always start with the furthest to put as much leverage on the sprue plate as possible. I do not cast all chambers until I am sure that it is cutting sprues from the furthest hole then I add a hole every other cast. With the Lyman's it doesnt matter but some molds have their preference and you should keep a record of what the mold likes, not what is easiest for you. Gianni.

Phil
02-03-2007, 06:06 PM
I just fill them all, starting with the cavity in front (the farthest from you) and working my way to the back (nearest to you).

Cheers,

Phil

Treeman
02-03-2007, 07:46 PM
I also prefer to start with the furthest cavity awy from me.

Larry Gibson
02-03-2007, 08:40 PM
Doesn't much matter, I fill the closet to me first and pull the mould toward me as I fill'em up. I tried it both ways never could tell any difference.

Larry Gibson

Springfield
02-03-2007, 08:52 PM
I prefer to fill the closest hole first. No reason, just feels right. Done it the other way too and the bullets came out the same.

hammerhead357
02-03-2007, 09:36 PM
I have done it both ways and have alternated, trying to keep the mould heated evenly,but it probably didn't make a bit of difference..Wes

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I do the rotation thing too. If your casting fast and the mold gets hot it will usually start with the first one you fill as it will have the lead in it the longest. So I rotate which end i start with to keep the mold at an ever temp.

cbrick
02-03-2007, 09:58 PM
For a two cavity mould I fill up both holes at the same time, four cavity and six cavity I do two holes at a time. Just like Lloyd I rotate which two gets filled first & for the same reason also.

Rick

Shuz
02-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Recently I discovered it did make a difference with a 4C 429421 that I've had for years. I use a mould guide on a bottom pour and I've always filled the closest cavity first and then drawn the mould to me as I filled the others. Makes more sense to me from an efficiency standpoint to do it that way. Each time I did it that way, I got a little "dot" or"circle" imperfection on the base of the boolit near the edge of the cavity farthest from me. When I reversed the action of filling, I never got that imperfection. Musta done this 6 to 8 times and always got the same results. We are all aware that the base of the cast boolit is real important as far as accuracy goes. I will compare these boolits from my scoped 629Classic DX once the weather gets better. With the slamming of the boolit thru the forcing cone and the obturating that occurs with a revolter, I wonder if it really mattters? Perhaps we'll see? (By the way, my casting temp was 700 to 750deg and the alloy was WW+1% tin that has a cooled hardness of Bhn 11.)--Shuz