PDA

View Full Version : second pot bit the dust today

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I bought two lyman 20lb pots and theyve served me well many a thousand bullets have come from them. About 3 months ago the thermostat on one bit the dust and its been sitting since and today the second one did the same. Down to the old 10lb lyman that is probably as old as me and thats OLD! Im going to have to buck up and send them in or really buck up and finally buy a magma.

Dale53
02-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Lloyd;
the thermostats in most of the lead pots I have worked on in the past had generic thermostats. For instance, the Lyman 11 lb bottom draw pot used a clothes iron thermostat (just adjusted for the higher heat).

However, since we have become a throw-away society, my old supplier is now out of business.

I guess the best chance of success is to see if Lyman stocks parts. I would think that they would on current items.

If you get the thermostat, it is a pretty straightforward process.

Good luck,
Dale53

madcaster
02-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Lyman does not have the stuff for repairs on the Mag 20 now,so unless you can find a local electrician who can handle the job Lloyd it is a lost cause.
Jeff.

Lloyd Smale
02-03-2007, 09:57 PM
where did you get that info from Jeff. I got a heating element from them about a year ago.

Marshal Kane
02-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Yes Jeff, how current is your information? I got an operating handle for a Lyman Mag 20 bottom pour about two years ago. The only thing Lyman said at that time was some parts are factory installed only. If I recall right, those parts were associated with the heating element, thermostat, and pot - everything that conducts electricity or gets hot.

Pepe Ray
02-04-2007, 03:01 AM
Just got the latest Midway catalog in the mail today.(Sat.)They show both heating elements and thermostats in 110 & 220 by Lyman.

Pepe Ray

madcaster
02-04-2007, 08:36 AM
I had called lyman about 6 months ago about a replacement element for a Mould Master XX,and the lady who answered the telephone told me that they no longer have elements for the Mould Master XX.
Was I not speaking with a knowledgeable person or am I wrong?
Jeff.

Lloyd Smale
02-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Jeff the mold master is the old 10lb pot and i dont think they still have parts for them.

Lloyd Smale
02-04-2007, 09:02 AM
thanks for that info ill check mine out today
Just got the latest Midway catalog in the mail today.(Sat.)They show both heating elements and thermostats in 110 & 220 by Lyman.

Pepe Ray

madcaster
02-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Lloyd,
Mine was an XX,and held 20 pounds of lead,but it is a moot point,I put it on EBay,with the clear notice that it does not heat and got a "big" $20.00 bill out of it.
I bought an RCBS furnace on this site and will be keeping it.
Jeff.

Lloyd Smale
02-04-2007, 10:06 AM
checked the midway catalog and the thermostats and heating elements are for lee pots not the lymans. Guess ill box them both up and send them to lyman and wait for an estimate on repairs and see if its worth the bother to fix them or just get a magma

Maven
02-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Lloyd, Couldn't you remove the thermostat and wire your pot into a high wattage dimmer switch, i.e., one with a heat sink? The cost should be less than a new Lyman unit. Do a search for this as I'm sure it has come up before.

Lloyd Smale
02-04-2007, 01:50 PM
that would probably work too. I guess i decided to send them in and see what lyman says though. Ive got them boxed up and ready to go. Just told the girlfriend that i dont know if i want good news or bad back from them. Ive been looking for an excuse to buy a magma for a while but its just bad timing as the gun budjet is a little low right now.

Nueces
02-06-2007, 10:16 PM
I called this fellow last year to discuss a thermostat for an old SAECO pot:

John Reyes
Kings Kiln Repair
9100 East 83rd Street
Raytown, MO 64138
816-358-9220

At the time, his thermos were $40, plus s&h, and he would calibrate them for your pot. Redding-Saeco steered me to him.

Mark

Jon K
02-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Kings Kiln Repair - he also does Lyman repairs. I called edding and Lyman, and they both refered me to Kings.

Jon

jodoak
02-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Lyman should replace your heating elements at no charge. At least that is what a friend of mine had happen. I have two 20# mag dippers and plan to do the same thing in they fail.

John

anachronism
02-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Lyman should replace your heating elements at no charge. At least that is what a friend of mine had happen. I have two 20# mag dippers and plan to do the same thing in they fail.

John

I had to buy mine. Funny thing, until I installed the last one, mine would go through about 1 element a year. I bought two elements from Lyman, installed the first one, and it's lasted over 5 years so far.

dltaskey
02-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Lyman does have parts for the Mag 20 pots but won't touch an old Mould Master or Mould Master XX let alone have any parts for either. Been there... Hope my XX hangs in there. Maybe I'll eBay it while it still works! It sure looks like one could fit Lee parts in if necessary though.