PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 9mm HP

Scout Master
09-29-2011, 12:03 PM
I recently purchase a couple of older molds at a tag sale. The one that caught my interest is just marked RCBS 9mm 124g and nothing more. It is a 2 cavity hollow point design and has a plate attached to the bottom that holds 2 threaded pins that go into the nose of each boolit. There are no screws to attach it to the mold handle (missing?) and the plate for the HP pins has an allen screw that utilizes one of the screw holes to holds the plate onto the bottom of one half of the mold block. Believe it or not this is the first RCBS mold for me in 30 yrs. of casting - having all Lyman’s, some old Ideal molds and a couple of Lee’s. I see my Lyman handles do not fit.

I do not see this mold in RCBS’s current product list. Has anyone any experience with this type of mold? Since the HP pins are not readily moveable will the boolits drop free from the mold easily? I usually cast wheel weights from my Lyman 356402 mold and they shoot fine from my S&W 639. Any advice, info or tips for this HP mold would be appreciated.

I got an extra 356402 2 cavity mold in the deal that I do not need; anyone up for a trade?

Scout Master

MT Gianni
09-29-2011, 11:23 PM
I think someone has modified this as I don't recall RCBS ever making a hp mold. THis soundds like the Cramer method of HP and releases well. It is much faster than a single cavity removable pin system.

You might list the mold in swap and sell.

MtGun44
09-30-2011, 12:57 AM
I agree, never even saw a picture of an RCBS HP that wasn't a mod after it left the factory.

Sounds like a method similar to the Lee HP molds.

Bill

Scout Master
10-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. RCBS confirms they never made a 9mm HP mold. Looks like it was an after market job (and a good one at that). I'll be firing up the casting pot this weekend and I'll give it a go.