PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 405 gr. velocity recommendations?

dblhunter
09-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm working up some loads for my 45-70's with 405 grain plain based bullets. I've read all sorts of recommendations in all the manuals and on this site for different loads.

I've read where I'll need to stay below 1600 fps in order to eliminate or lessen the lead build up in the barrel.

So, my question is this: Given you have all sorts and types of powders.....what is your favorite load for this caliber and boolit?

Thanks for your time.

dblhunter

btroj
09-28-2011, 10:13 PM
So many powders can work.

I just shot a second black bear with a 420 plain base using 46 gr of H322. Gives 1750 or so with little enough leading that I ignore it.

I like 24 gr of 2400 with the same bullet. Gives 1350 or so. Accurate and easy on the shoulder.

45-70 is loadable with so many powders it will make your head spin. Any medium bur er will work well. I have also used 4895, RE7, Varget for the 1600 fps range or just over. All worked well.

mpmarty
09-28-2011, 10:19 PM
I've got a Marlin 1895, a Ruger Number One and both have never had a leading issue. I don't worship at the altar of velocity so my retinas are still attached to the back of my eyeballs. My all time favorite load in 45/70 is:

Ranch Dog 350 gr without check tumble lubed w/ 50/50 LLA/JPW
Unique powder, 15 grains over a large pistol primer.

Great accuracy in both rifles and mild recoil. If that big punkin' ball won't put them down I'll leave them alone for the next hunter.

leftiye
09-28-2011, 10:20 PM
My turn to start up the old recording...

First find out what size your bore and grooves are (thas important). Make your boolits a thou. or two bigger than the groove diameter, or to fit the freebore if there is any - whichever is biggest. Cast your chamber so you can see what it looks like and make your rounds fit. You didn't say which gun you were shooting, that would help. Marlin 45-70 often have no freebore. Single shots can be loaded differently than repeaters. Levers have restrictions on overall length which interfere with optimum loading practices. Seat your boolits so that they touch the rifling if the gun will allow you to do so.

Use a GOOD lube (don't cut corners - I mean GOOD). Velocity isn't about hard lead, it's about fit, and GOOD lube. Then there's also the question of how much battering you can stand which also determines how fast you want to shoot a 45-70. Leading isn't necessary, It's totally possible, actually easy to avoid. So speed is whatever you want, or can stand.

I like 4895 in a 45-70, but almost anything from 5744 to some slower than 4895 powders will work. Sierra used to use 3031 as an accuracy testing powder in almost everything, and it's a butt kicker in the 45-70 (your butt).

superior
09-29-2011, 12:49 AM
H4198 extreme is a powder that my Guide Gun responds favorably to. Unique and 2400 also work quite well. The lee 405 plain base with 34 grains of h4198 is a mild load that will still drop a Buffalo. I've loaded some with 40 grains and that's where I stop. It can handle more without leading, but it wouldn't be as much fun to shoot. Your shoulder will give out before leading occurs.
25 grains 2400 is a good all around killer on the ranch. I just bought some Unique to play with for my .457 roundballs.
Many powders will give excellent results in the 45-70. I guess it just depends on how economically you would like to shoot.

My lube is 16oz petroleum jelly,
16oz paraffin
2 tbsp stp oil treatment
2 crayons for color

I've never had leading.

hornetguy
09-29-2011, 01:58 AM
With minimal development, my go-to load for my 1895 SS is 15 gr of Unique, behind Lee's 405gr hollow-base bullet. It's borderline one-hole accurate at 50yds, and well under 2" at 100. Probably could keep it closer to 1" than 2" if I was better at squeezin instead of jerkin. Recoil is pleasant. I chrono'd it, but don't have the data at hand.. IIRC, about 1250-1300fps.

1Shirt
09-29-2011, 12:38 PM
It is my opinion that a good flat nosed blt of 405 or better at a vol of around 1600will handle anything on this continent with proper shot placement. The wider the flat nose the better. Soft nose for the first 1/4-1/3 of blt, with a harder base of sat 15-18 would allow me to be comfortable as long as it was capable of 3" at 100. Kind of like the old elephant hunters philosophy of "get as close as you can, and then get 5 yards closer". Am not a great advocate of long range shots on big game that seems fashionable today. I prefer longe range shooting for p-dogs.
1Shirt!:coffeecom