PDA

View Full Version : Old Connecticut Cartridge Brass - Beware

John Boy
09-28-2011, 02:46 PM
I bought 5 boxes of fired Connecticut Cartridge lathe turned 43 Spanish brass. Did the normals: anneal - resize (cases fit) - expand mouth and reload. Tried chambering the 1st reload - perfect. Ten rounds later, tried chambering one. Approx 0.30 of the end of the case sticking out of the chamber [smilie=b: Tried some more and they too wouldn't chamber. Out came the calipers and the suckers have a 0.022 wall thickness and with the standard 0.439 bullet the case OD is 0.005 too wide.

So, $180 on the credit card, a 0.437 neck reamer and complete Forster Classic trimmer due to large rim diameter are on order to fix these suckers. That puts me at $2.44 a case including cost of the brass. Other side of the record, loaded BACO 43 Spanish slide in easily and are cheaper - $2.12 for 50! Only nice part of the story so far ... each cartridge will have a correct headstamp not 348's

jlchucker
10-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Yes, John, but look on the bright side. You'll still have the tooling to use on other projects. Are we APG classmates? Send me a PM.