PDA

View Full Version : smelting / casting protection

quiknot
02-03-2007, 09:35 AM
i read alot about using protection when smelting, ie: glasses, gloves, shoes, long sleeves....which i do and seems natural.

but some say to wear respirators or masks, is this necesary for the casual smelting / caster who only occassionally handles the lead?

seems like you would need to constantly be in contact with the lead to have any adverse effect.

thanks

imashooter2
02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Untold millions of shooters have smelted and cast billions of tons of lead over a period of hundreds of years without issue.

Wear a moon suit if you like, but very basic hygene is all that is required.

MT Gianni
02-03-2007, 11:28 AM
It is kind of like water. Water kills many every year from floods, drownings,etc. Yet we bathe our babies in it, go figure. If lead is kept below the oxidizing temperature and washed off us, without being ingested, it is safe to work with. Left outside those paramaters it is like swimming in boiling water. Thankfully the limits are easy to work with. Gianni.

Sundogg1911
02-03-2007, 03:37 PM
just use common sense. Don't be eating potato chips while you're working with lead. You're more in danger from handling the lead and then smoking/eating etc. without thoroughly cleaning your hands. You cast at a much lower temp. than the flashpoint for lead. I use a rangehood in my garage for venting fumes. (dirt, flux, grease etc.) and I wash before eating or doing anything. I keep my pepsi or coffee in the opposite side of the garage, just as a precaution. I would say common sense (like with most things) is the key.