PDA

View Full Version : "For Sale" question

abunaitoo
09-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Why is it some people will not sell to us in Hawaii or Alaska????

Every once in a while, I see stuff in the "For Sale" section that states lower 48 only.
We in Hawaii and Alaska are part of the USA. Have been for a while now.
USPS flat rate box is the same price as in the upper 48.

ss40_70
09-27-2011, 10:47 PM
other than explosive/flammable/hazmat materials i dont see a problem ,

waksupi
09-28-2011, 12:23 AM
I'll sell you stuff. Whatcha need?

Lloyd Smale
09-28-2011, 06:32 AM
I sold some molds to a guy in ak once and it took a month to get there. We were both getting a bit worried about it. Made me feel like he might think i was ripping him off! Im sure it was only a one time mix up by the PO.

Geraldo
09-28-2011, 06:46 AM
I think the problem is shipping costs. If it fits in a flat rate box I post a price that includes shipping "wherever a flat rate box can go". If it doesn't fit in a FRB, I post a price including shipping in the lower 48. I burned myself a few years ago because I posted a price that included shipping but no restriction on where it would go, and a guy in AK bought it. Cost me a fortune to ship it to him.

I'll sell you anything, but if it's not FRB we'll be negotiating shipping charges.

Finster101
09-28-2011, 06:48 AM
I'll sell you stuff. Whatcha need?

How many .356 lube grooves can you fit in a small flat rate box? :lol:

Baron von Trollwhack
09-28-2011, 06:55 AM
I typically say "ship to lower 48" when selling things I no longer need. Thanks for pointing out that flat rate boxes go to all 57 states(HA !). I never even gave it a thought.

I will change my ways. I remember #s 49 and 50 coming in and it was a big event for both !

BvT

wgr
09-28-2011, 08:35 AM

312[smilie=s:

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for pointing out that flat rate boxes go to all 57 states(HA !). BvT

I will ship to all 57 states also !

when the Fed. sells off the Post office to a private party, I imagine I'll be restricting my shipping to the lower 48 and then negociating ship fees for the other 9 states !
Jon

PS: :kidding:

waksupi
09-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Zillions!

montana_charlie
09-28-2011, 12:13 PM
I think people hesitate to sell to Alaska and Hawaii because of the 'money volatility thing'.
Unless one has a close grip on exchange rates, it's tough to keep up with values of sea shell jewelry from Hawaii and carved walrus tusk from Alaska.

CM

RidgerunnerAk
09-28-2011, 12:22 PM
I live in Fairbanks and the "we don't ship to Alaska" thing is most irritating. Sometimes I call and give commercial sellers holy hell over that. I couldn't get a tea seller in Seattle to ship to Alaska! I was fuming and really burned the lady on the other end. It's a never ending problem trying to convince people that Alaska is part of the US and that the USPS knows where we are. Getting powder and ammunition or even primed but empty shotgun hulls shipped up here is essentially impossible.

abunaitoo
09-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks for all the support and understanding.
When I used to get things on ebay, I used to have the same problem.
When I asked sellers why, most of the time the replied was, "because I don't".
I guess us gun people are just smarter than most people.

Alvarez Kelly
09-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I sell to folks in Alaska regularly, and a few times to folks in Hawaii. If it fits in a priority box, no worries. If not, it is expensive and SLOW!

That said, I once had a guy in Alaska get pi$$ed at ME, when the MEC shotgun reloader he bought from me wouldn't fit in a flat rate box, like he didn't know that when he bought it!?

Storydude
09-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Ak and Hi with USPS=Good to go.
Same with Fedex or UPS=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's why.

Baron von Trollwhack
09-30-2011, 05:33 PM
I think people hesitate to sell to Alaska and Hawaii because of the 'money volatility thing'.
Unless one has a close grip on exchange rates, it's tough to keep up with values of sea shell jewelry from Hawaii and carved walrus tusk from Alaska.

CM

I stopped worrying about the Mainers always wanting to trade those authentic MOOSEBERRY Jewelry pieces for my stuff!

frkelly74
10-01-2011, 10:16 PM
There is always a way, sometimes it just costs more. When I say shipped to the lower 48 I do not mean that I won't sell to the fine folks in Hawaii and Alaska , (and the other 7 states whose names escape me just now) It just means I don't know what it will cost to do so. On the other hand , If It DOES Fit , It does Ship.

P.K.
10-01-2011, 11:19 PM
I stopped worrying about the Mainers always wanting to trade those authentic MOOSEBERRY Jewelry pieces for my stuff!

O-k, joke on me. Authentic born and bread Mainer here. Serriously? I know they pull that **** on tourists, but seriously?

Some will trade for that stuff, me never. Many would have no idea what us folks can make from those dang things. Anywho....Buyer beware and what not. For me, anything made of dung was suspect. Authentic indian stuff was nice and if it was shells and not beads....$$$. Leather and flint/stone a plus. Any other material was suspect. When it concenrs Maine, think of the early traders or early trade goods(beads, iron stock and other valuabes like gun powder lead and flint.). Not the mentioned "MOOSEBERRY".

sav300
10-02-2011, 07:14 AM
A lot of sellers don't ship to Australia,some will when I ask and explain our firearms laws and customs. But not to ship to all the states of America????

theperfessor
10-02-2011, 09:41 AM
I'll sell and ship my custom nose punches anywhere it is legal, but since they are a low cost item and First Class postage shipping is included in the price (for simplicity) I list them as such. Since I read this thread I have changed my sig line to make that clear. If somebody in Alaska or Hawaii orders six or more items I'll pay for shipping there also as I can afford to put them in a small FR box. Outside the USA the buyer pays the shipping.

I can see the OP's point if an item is big enough or expensive enough to be shipped flat rate but for an $8.50 item that can be shipped in a padded envelope Alaska/Hawaii shipment is a lot more expensive.

Dennis Eugene
10-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I get my powder and primers delivered to Alaska Marine Lines in Seattle in care of me. From there they are barged up to me, it cost a lil more but then again I am an employee and as such get a reduced rate. Still much cheaper than local prices especially if I buy in bulk,( 8 pound kegs and 5 and 10 k of primers at a time). Dennis

abunaitoo
10-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Recently there have been a few things I was interested in here, but if the seller post "lower 48 only", I don't even bother.
My thinking is, why should I give them any of my hard earned money, when they don't even consider us, in Alaska and Hawaii, a part of the USA.
With regular shipping, it will cost more to ship to us, but we understand that. If the shipping is to high, I just pass.
Extra handling charge is ridiculous. Why would it cost more to handle to ship to us anyway??????
But wuth the USPS flat rate box, if it fits, there should be no reason not to ship to the "upper 2".

Alvarez Kelly
10-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Recently there have been a few things I was interested in here, but if the seller post "lower 48 only", I don't even bother.
My thinking is, why should I give them any of my hard earned money, when they don't even consider us, in Alaska and Hawaii, a part of the USA.
With regular shipping, it will cost more to ship to us, but we understand that. If the shipping is to high, I just pass.
Extra handling charge is ridiculous. Why would it cost more to handle to ship to us anyway??????
But wuth the USPS flat rate box, if it fits, there should be no reason not to ship to the "upper 2".

See post #14.

If it fits, it ships. Unfortunately, it doesn't always fit. I often offer cheap shipping (less than $5) on light stuff, but have to use the $5 flat rate boxes to Hawaii or Alaska, or stuff seems to just get lost.

I don't charge any "handling fee," but I often price items with shipping included. I can't extend that offer to Alaska and Hawaii residents without taking the financial hit myself. I'll still sell an item to you, but shipping costs will increase the overall cost.

Anyway... I guess I'm saying, it doesn't hurt to ask. All a seller can do is say yes or no.

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-13-2011, 01:54 AM
the answer is Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes...

Rich

abunaitoo
10-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Shipping "IS" higher for us in Hawaii. Nothing we can do about that. Just the way it is.
I'm sure those in Alaska know it too.
With these USPS flat rate boxes (there are three sizes), it cost the same for all of us in the USA. It's a welcome change for us in the "Upper 2".
We still take a hit on stuff that will not fit in a flat rate box. But that's life.
I usually ask if the shipping charge would be higher to Hawaii. Some don't ask, and expect the seller to take the loss. I ask because I feel it's "the right thing to do".
What burns me up is those that have in their listing"lower 48 only", I normally don't even bother even asking.
I just figure, why should I buy from them when they don't want to sell to me.

Funny story.
I was in the post office to mail something to the "upper 48", and noticed a lady arguing with one of the workers.
Seemed she taped two flat rate boxes together and wanted to have it sent priority fate rate mail.
She kept on saying she would pay for two flat rate boxes, and couldn't understand why they could just do it for her.
I was there for about 20 minutes, when I finished she was still arguing with them.
I guess some people just don't get it.
I wonder if she was from the "lower 48"?????? :)

GOPHER SLAYER
10-14-2011, 07:50 PM
You guys were not paying attention. Bozo said he had campaigned in fifty seven states with one to go. Using my new made in China calculater thet totals fifty eight. El Bozo said it, so it must be true.

mooman76
10-14-2011, 08:30 PM
The P.O actually has 5 flat rate boxes. A small, a large and 3 different med. sizes to include a new size not known much yet. It's called a game box because it is shaped like the old boxes games would come in like Monopoly. They also have a fairly new padded (bubble) large envelope mailer.

Baja_Traveler
10-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Just so you dont feel singled out - look at half the postings on GunBroker - they say no sales to California, even though it's perfectly legal here. We are just as aggravated...

montana_charlie
10-14-2011, 09:22 PM
I understand the term 'lower 48' as meaning those states below (south of) the 48th parallel.
I don't have a good understanding of the term 'upper 2'.

That would be Alaska and ... ?

CM

williamwaco
10-14-2011, 09:24 PM

All of them. :D

45nut
10-14-2011, 09:25 PM
uganda apparently charlie

cajun shooter
10-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I just finished selling my third gun to a man in Califorina. The only thing that a FFL has to do is give his FFL information on a seperate paper so that it may be checked out that he is a current legal FFL holder and that is it. Very simple

jaystuw
10-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Great timing! as i was reading this thread my wife called from honolulu to say she wants to put in an offer on a house there . As a gun/shooter guy i have to admit i am somewhat less than thrilled. I have accepted the truly jaw-dropping real estate prices (well sort of) that are common to the area. I just don't like the no were to shoot, no gun shows and no firearms shipped part of island living! john

badbob454
10-18-2011, 01:39 AM
i sold a bakers 8 pound scale , a real old one cost me 65 dollars to ship to hawaii it only weighed 16 lbs , i think some of us are leary of ak/hi if it wont fit in a flatt rate box , when i sell items i just state ak or hi may cost more

gandydancer
10-20-2011, 04:00 PM
still a great state and great people. not so much the mooseberrys but I love the blueberrys.

nanuk
10-21-2011, 06:29 AM
it is far worse up here

Geraldo
10-21-2011, 08:16 AM
no firearms shipped part of island living

I don't understand what you mean by "no firearms shipped". I bought a pistol from a guy in Hawaii and it was the same as buying from any other state.

waksupi
10-21-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't understand what you mean by "no firearms shipped". I bought a pistol from a guy in Hawaii and it was the same as buying from any other state.

I kind of wondered about that, too. I do know when you send a firearm into Hawaii, it is held and inspected before finally delivery. I have shipped in at least a dozen rifles there over the years.

cajun shooter
10-21-2011, 12:00 PM
I have a friend who lives in Red River, New Mexico and I laugh all the time when he will call for a mail order item.
You will not believe how many people from these companies advise him that they do not ship out of the USA. He tells them that I live in New Mexico and they keep saying Sir as we have explained to you we don't ship goods to foreign countries.