PDA

View Full Version : youtube videos

MikeS
09-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Hi All.

I just got thru watching some videos on youtube about bullet casting, and it's amazing the junk being passed off as good info! Other than the videos of our own Cowboy T, and the one linked to from the Mihec site, it seems like most of the casting videos are just junk!

I just got thru watching some videos by a guy that shows how to cast with up to 6 moulds at a time, and the way he treats his moulds, it's amazing that they last even a month, he fills a mould, then throws it down on the bench, grabs another one, fills it, tosses it on the bench, grabs another, etc. He casts wearing only one glove, and that one he's cut up so his fingers are out (not the finger tips, just the rest of the finger) so he can 'feel' what he's doing! In another of his videos he says that candle wax shouldn't be used anywhere near a mould, other than for lubricating the sprue plate, and that's only on the aluminum moulds, steel moulds don't need lubrication according to him! He doesn't bother using the setscrew to lock the sprue plate screw, so it's easier to adjust the sprue plate when it's needed, and he says to adjust all the moulds at once, use lots of matches to smoke the moulds, etc. Then he goes on to talking about adding calories of heat to the ingots using a torch, after a while I had to turn off his videos, as I was getting sick watching them. He's an author of a book, which he shows in some of his videos, and so many people tend to think that authors are smarter than most people, so this guy must know what he's talking about, and I hate to think what could happen to some beginner that watches his videos, and tries to duplicate them!

Have any of the members here that know how to cast made any videos? If not, maybe some of the members that know what they're doing should make some videos! If there are other videos out there that show the proper way to cast maybe we should have a thread that lists the 'proper' casting videos.

Along with the so called experts that post videos (there's even a poster called ExpertVillage), there are also lots of videos from folks that are just starting out, and that I really don't understand, why people feel it necessary necessary to post videos of stuff they're just learning? I've been casting for maybe a year now, and I'm still learning, and I would never think of posting a video about casting! The videos by beginners that say they're beginners I don't have a problem with, I just don't understand why people feel the need to post videos of themselves learning, but the videos by so called experts that post stuff that's just wrong, I feel those are more damaging, as folks that don't know better will try to use their flawed methods, then wonder why they can't cast good boolits.

milprileb
09-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Cowboy T deserves high marks as he really puts safety
into the video. He is in your face to wear a face mask and
protective clothing and he has spared grief to untold numbers
of novice casters. Hats off to him !

milprileb
09-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Mike S

Authors of comic books are hardly authors to take seriously !

slide
09-26-2011, 06:21 PM
My hat is also off to Cowboy T. Watching his video's has helped me a lot. When people share information so to keep an art alive they have to love it. I will check out this kook's stuff. Thanks MikeS. You may have kept a new guy from going down the wrong road.

W.R.Buchanan
09-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Milprileb: I think that's an insult to comic book authors! Just where would we be without Batman and Robin?

Randy

milprileb
09-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Buchanan.... we're boolit casters, we don't need Wheaties or Super Heroes, we champion truth, alloys and bullet lube.

metweezer
09-26-2011, 07:01 PM
I have watched all of Cowboy T's videos and he is my go to guy as far as casting and reloading goes. My 6 cavity mold and handles are due this Thursday and I plan on preparing my mold the way he described. If that is not enough then I will check out the Leementing thread. This hobby is strange in the fact that there is more than one way to achieve your goal. I have emailed Cowboy T a few times about the fact that he doesn't preheat his molds and seems to have no problems getting perfect boolits. I, for one, am real happy he is here.
Steve

MikeS
09-27-2011, 04:36 AM
Mike S

Authors of comic books are hardly authors to take seriously !

I don't know who you're referring to with that comment, but I have to disagree. Comic books don't always have to be just entertainment, in fact my father wrote several of them about shooting, and holster making (his specialty). He used illustrations to lighten the mood, even when dealing with a very serious matter (shooting). I don't agree with everything my father wrote, and I would say that his holster book is the better of the 2 gun related books that he wrote. Here's the cover of his book About Holsters:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_177914e8189e61d843.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2237)

And here's the link to the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/About-Holsters-Barry-Schiller/dp/0759660573/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1317111478&sr=8-10

If anyone here is interested in buying the book, rather than going thru Amazon, you can get it from me directly for $15.00 shipped to your door (within the US).

I would much prefer to watch an animated video (the modern equivalent of comic books) of the proper way to cast than watch all the 'real' videos on youtube that show all sorts of screwed up ways of casting!

Lizard333
09-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Is Cowboy T is handel with You Tube?? I coudn't find any videos done by a Cowboy T. Lots by Ammosmith and Iragvetran888.

Lizard333
09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
There are a lot of crappy videos out there. I will not disagree with that. I do think you can learn from all of them, even if it's what NOT to do.

slide
09-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Try San Fransico Liberal With a Gun

MikeS
09-27-2011, 01:19 PM
There are a lot of crappy videos out there. I will not disagree with that. I do think you can learn from all of them, even if it's what NOT to do.

The problem is, somebody starting out won't know which ones to learn from, and which ones are things not to do! Some of Ammosmith's stuff is OK, but some of his stuff is just wrong too. I watched a video where he slugged the cylinders of a Ruger, and stated that the cylinders were .4505 and the bore was .452 which is a perfect match! (I think those were the measurements, I'm going from memory, but basically the cylinder was smaller than the bore)

mdi
09-27-2011, 01:32 PM
I always cringe when a new reloader/caster says they are "learning" from youtube videos. There are several youtube videos on casting that should be used as lessons on how not to cast!

williamwaco
09-27-2011, 01:42 PM
YIKES!

I DON'T BELIEVE THIS!

I went to utube to look for Cowboy T and bullet casting.

I couldn't find him but the first video I tried on bullet casting showed a guy melting large fishing weights in a coffee pot, pouring them ( pure lead ) into a Lee 2 cavity mold they using a ball peen hammer ( head, not the handle ) to knock open the sprue, then turned thje mold upside down and beat on the bottom of the sprue plate with the ball peen hammer to knock the sprue off the sprue plate then opened the mold and beat on the aluminum mold block to knock out the bullets.

I didn't realize it got that bad.

I have seen some questionable videos over there but never anything this bad.

Anyone got a link to a Cowboy T video?

Bwana
09-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Being able to separate the wheat from the chaff has always been a valuable skill in all of life's activities.

Lizard333
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Being able to separate the wheat from the chaff has always been a valuable skill in all of life's activities.

Very Well Put!!
My Granpa you to always say to only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. Just as appropriate.

metweezer
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/default.html

garym1a2
09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Look up Lee Pro 1000 and you will find all his videos

If they are not wearing gloves, long shirts and goggles they have no sense instructing videos on casting.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sfliberal#p/u/13/kuX86rXdDUg

YIKES!

I DON'T BELIEVE THIS!

I went to utube to look for Cowboy T and bullet casting.

I couldn't find him but the first video I tried on bullet casting showed a guy melting large fishing weights in a coffee pot, pouring them ( pure lead ) into a Lee 2 cavity mold they using a ball peen hammer ( head, not the handle ) to knock open the sprue, then turned thje mold upside down and beat on the bottom of the sprue plate with the ball peen hammer to knock the sprue off the sprue plate then opened the mold and beat on the aluminum mold block to knock out the bullets.

I didn't realize it got that bad.

I have seen some questionable videos over there but never anything this bad.

Anyone got a link to a Cowboy T video?

colt 357
09-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Well I hate to say that is how I got my start in casting and reloading automatic was from youtube. I went mostly with iraqveteran he seemed the best info on there. Check the web bunch of different site gathering info. the cross checking what I found and cross checking again. Then look for more info gathering and crosschecking.
Then when I found a bunch of people saying the same thing then I knew I had to be in the ball park.
Then I found the holy grail this site and its people and I knew that I had probably hit pay dirt. I the lurked here for a while reading learning and the found this site worth signing up with. Then I started asking you guys question and thanks to all of you I started to load my first cast boolits and shot them through a automatic with great success.
I hope that people out there dont take every thing as law that they read on the internet. doing your homework and cross reference what you find is a must. The internet is not text from the bible . There is just as must bad info out there as good.

09-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Quite some time ago, I watched one video just to see what's out there. The caster was doing very little right and safety didn't seem to be part of his routine. That one video proved to be one too many.

I'm won't imply that You Tube can't be an educational resource, however, it seems to be more of an avenue for those who are looking for their 15-minutes of Internet fame, and whose egos far outweigh any amount of common sense that they may possess.

No thank you, You Tube, I'll continue my casting education by reading this forum and "old fashioned" books.

geargnasher
09-27-2011, 09:58 PM

Castboolits Quote Of The Year nomination #1 from me.

Gear

badbob454
09-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi All.

I just got thru watching some videos on youtube about bullet casting, and it's amazing the junk being passed off as good info! Other than the videos of our own Cowboy T, and the one linked to from the Mihec site, it seems like most of the casting videos are just junk!

I just got thru watching some videos by a guy that shows how to cast with up to 6 moulds at a time, and the way he treats his moulds, it's amazing that they last even a month, he fills a mould, then throws it down on the bench, grabs another one, fills it, tosses it on the bench, grabs another, etc. He casts wearing only one glove, and that one he's cut up so his fingers are out (not the finger tips, just the rest of the finger) so he can 'feel' what he's doing! In another of his videos he says that candle wax shouldn't be used anywhere near a mould, other than for lubricating the sprue plate, and that's only on the aluminum moulds, steel moulds don't need lubrication according to him! He doesn't bother using the setscrew to lock the sprue plate screw, so it's easier to adjust the sprue plate when it's needed, and he says to adjust all the moulds at once, use lots of matches to smoke the moulds, etc. Then he goes on to talking about adding calories of heat to the ingots using a torch, after a while I had to turn off his videos, as I was getting sick watching them. He's an author of a book, which he shows in some of his videos, and so many people tend to think that authors are smarter than most people, so this guy must know what he's talking about, and I hate to think what could happen to some beginner that watches his videos, and tries to duplicate them!

Have any of the members here that know how to cast made any videos? If not, maybe some of the members that know what they're doing should make some videos! If there are other videos out there that show the proper way to cast maybe we should have a thread that lists the 'proper' casting videos.

Along with the so called experts that post videos (there's even a poster called ExpertVillage), there are also lots of videos from folks that are just starting out, and that I really don't understand, why people feel it necessary necessary to post videos of stuff they're just learning? I've been casting for maybe a year now, and I'm still learning, and I would never think of posting a video about casting! The videos by beginners that say they're beginners I don't have a problem with, I just don't understand why people feel the need to post videos of themselves learning, but the videos by so called experts that post stuff that's just wrong, I feel those are more damaging, as folks that don't know better will try to use their flawed methods, then wonder why they can't cast good boolits.

make us a good video, and show how to do it right ...

MikeS
09-28-2011, 12:40 AM
make us a good video, and show how to do it right ...

That's exactly the point. While I'm confident in the way I cast, I don't think I'm qualified enough at this point to be making How To videos. Besides, Cowboy T's videos are pretty good, and I certainly couldn't top his sound effects!

Hometek
09-28-2011, 03:15 AM
Maybe some of the people are using youtube to chronicle their casting experience. Not necessarily to be the last word on casting. Thus the value of the video. They have comments below that allow you to share a better way to do things. I applaud people who are not afraid to share how they do things. Even if it's wrong. I know a lot of people that do things wrong out of ignorance will change once they are shown a better way.

W.R.Buchanan
09-28-2011, 02:54 PM
I was once in an "altered state" at the age of 18, in 1968 at an all night party and I had this big Epiffany about 3:00 AM.

I realized that some people manipulate the actions of others by telling them things that are lies or half truths. Believe me prior to that night I had no clue. :shock::

Fast forward to today, and we have a man that has an eloquent speaking voice and knows how to use it, and no other abilities (he even sucks at golf) runnning our country and telling the people of the US, essentially that the sun will rise in the west any day now!

Millions of people actually still believe him! I have decided that these people no matter what their credentials,,, are patently stupid. :kissarse: Have they actually considered his motives, or check the facts he spews like gospel? I doubt it. :kissarse:s and people who are most concerned with being cool never do. This group is composed mainly of people who think they know what they are doing! You could say with some degree of certainty that,,, "they don't know, that they don't know"

Just because a guy has a PHD in BFD doesn't mean he can tie his own shoes! Einstein couldn't! A diverse knowledge of life and the sciences is necessary for optimum survival in todays world. And damn sure should be on the list of qualifications for the Presidency.

See the phrase in my signature, this is exactly what it means! [smilie=b:

After that fateful night 43 years ago I started analysing what people say for accuracy of content, consistancy, and intended purpose, and I must say I have made a decent living and had some success by being able to decern who was blowing smoke up my **** and who was genuine. I still ocasionally fail, but I'm damn sure better than most!

I only follow those who pass my smell test and I never follow ''Blindly" or "Forever". Nobody should agree with everything any person says, because no too people are completely alike. Simple fact!

Everyone has to do this for themselves, and unfortunately it isnt going to happen right everytime. That part is called experience, and lets face it ,, it's part of life.

The more dangerous the disipline, the more you should check your sources.

When you find people who can articulate a given subject in clear concise terms that virtually anyone can understand, you have found someone who knows what he is talking about . (at least on that one subject !!! ) You should follow him to the degree that he is consistant and satisfys your needs.

Be reminded that everyone is full of Ship to some degree! :holysheep Batman lives!!!

Randy

MikeS
09-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Hometek: As I said earlier, I have no problem with folks that post videos of "This is how I cast bullets" It's the folks that post videos that say "This is how you should cast bullets" that then proceed to do it all wrong, throw around their moulds like they're ragdolls, say to only lube an aluminium mould, etc. that I have a problem with.