PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder recomendations please!

1Shirt
09-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Looking for recommendations for range finders. Have a Bushnell 450, that works very well on a sunny day where I can get a lot of reflection out to 300-350 however, it is not a lot of good beyond that distance. I shoot p-dogs out to 500 (and once in awhile beyond that), and need a better quality range finder that will be accurate out to 500. At ranges much beyond 250, knowing exact range, along with drop tables, and knowing your load accuracy and vol. are critical for long range varmint shooting.

Am looking for recommendations from someone who has and uses a rangefinder out to 500 and is satisfied with performance, light gathering qualities, etc.. I can afford a mid range as far as price goes, but can not afford the top of the line. Any recommendations based on experiance is appreciated.

I thank in advance all who respond to this thread!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

selmerfan
09-26-2011, 08:29 PM
I have good success with the Nikon Monarch 800 out to 600 yds hunting mule deer in western SD

Bardo
09-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Another vote for the Nikon Monarch. I have had the 1200 for about 4 or 5 years and love it. I thought it gave me a reading back faster then any of the other rangefinders. I can pick up cedar trees at over 1200 yards and the other day I ranged a cow at about 850 yards. have changed the batteries once - probably ready for new batteries again.

Bardo

Tatume
09-27-2011, 03:54 PM
I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but my experience is that laser range finders will let you down when you need it. They work fine on nice, vertical, reflective targets. But when the animal is in the middle of a field and there is nothing against which you can judge distance (right when you need the range finder the most), there is also nothing that will give a good return on the laser. I've had several range finders, and now I leave them at home when I go hunting.

BAGTIC
09-30-2011, 01:56 PM
If it is so far off that you need a rangefinder you should not be shooting at it in the first place.

bogorman
09-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Can't say too much as I haven't used it hunting yet, but I got a Nikon Monarch 800 about six months ago, and I've been really impressed. Seems very accurate, at least when compared to pacing the range out, and returns a reading fast and off a variety of surfaces. Coolest thing is it has really helped me improve my ability to accurately estimate range by eye. Its my first rangefinder so I can't offer a fair comparison but I'm sold on the Nikon none the less.

buyobuyo
09-30-2011, 11:31 PM
I have a Zeiss that I've been very happy with thus far. Granted I haven't had the chance to use it too often and when I have it has been mostly within 200 yds. I did take it up to work when I first go it and was ranging random objects out to 1400 yds if I remember right.

Quigley284
10-01-2011, 06:07 AM
I don't think BAGTIC has been dog hunting. I have tried the lazer range finders and find it very tough going in a dog town when the range start to get past 300 yards. We use a Swiss Wilde (sp). Its calibrated to start at 300 meters to as far as you can see. Made a cheat sheet to convert from meters to yards. I keep a log book for each rifle with history from past shoots with elevation needed for each specifice distance. Get your buddy to give you the range, crank up the scope, target knobs are needed. I am able to get alot of first shot kills in this way. If one comes up close, just crank the scope back down and shoot. I bought this range finder from a military surplus outlet called Deutsche Optik. Hope this helps, Mike

nanuk
10-01-2011, 06:30 AM
If it is so far off that you need a rangefinder you should not be shooting at it in the first place.

I don't agree

being inside your point blank range is great but what if you are in an area where it is a bit tough to tell? and you can't get closer?

I KNOW my rifle can kill at 500yds, but to do so, I need to know the distance within about 35 yds

if I know my trajectories, AND a ranged distance, then I can make a good shot.

What I used mine for, was when setting up a ground blind, I measured out stakes at 300/350/375/400 yds down my shooting lanes. beyond that was not an option there.
I also knew what my j-word would do at those distances. I had a solid rest.
I was confident that I could kill any animal within my lanes.
it only took a few hours to set up, and gave me a real confidence.

Lloyd Smale
10-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Ive used a good many differnt ones and what ive learned is you can at least cut in a half what there rating is on the top end for reliable readings. Most 1000 yard ones barely do 500. My 1000 yard and 1200 yard bushnells will do 500 reliably but not much more. From what ive read about the only one that does a whole lot better is the lecia 1600

BAGTIC
10-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Your rifle can kill at 1,000 yards and greater. The question is whether the shooter can do so consistently and humanely.

When shooting at small vermin almost any hit will result in a quick and huimane death because the power of the bullet is overwhelming in relationship to the size of the prey. When shooting at larger prey where being off by a couple of inches doesn't result in a clean miss but potentially a wounded animal it is harder to justify.

If you can not get close enough for a certain clean kill pass up the shot. There will always be another opportunity. What has happened to people where their egos demand that they kill something, regardless of circumstances, to prove themselves.

Whatever happened to the challenge of the hunt? If every shot was a hit and we never missed where would the challenge be? If every hunt becomes the equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel where is the accomplishment?

I guess the name of the game nowadays is "Someting has got to die or my whole day is wasted." It appears that hunting is going the way of pro sports where ethics have been cast aside for inflated statistics to accompany the inflated egos.

montana_charlie
10-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Whatever happened to the challenge of the hunt? If every shot was a hit and we never missed where would the challenge be? If every hunt becomes the equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel where is the accomplishment?
You can 'miss' and still have a wounded animal.

For me, the challenge is finding the game and getting into position for the shot.

The shot, itself, should NOT be a surprise.
A fatal hit SHOULD be a foregone conclusion.
The chances of a miss should be so small as to be statistically ZERO.

If a rangefinder is required to guarantee that I am adjusting correctly for the range to target, I will have one with me.
Mine is the Nikon 1200.

CM

btroj
10-01-2011, 12:37 PM
He isn't "hunting" prairie dogs, he is shooting them. You don't "stalk" prairie dogs you shoot them from a distance. Closer is better but once they et apollos you might be 300 to 600 yards, or more, away.

If you were talking about hunting I might agree but this is shooting. Not the same. Don't mix apple and oranges.

Artful
10-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I used to "hunt" / eliminate ground squirrels on some ranch's they dig little holes for cattle to step in - ain't no humanity in having to shoot a heifer because she stepped in a hole a little varmint left in your field - death of any kind is the objective in eliminating pests that can cause heavy financial damage to your family.

I have a friend with the Bushnell Yardage pro 800

It works pretty darn good as long as you have a solid/larger target. he bought it because of reviews at SP and SC, and because his brother has the YP 400 we used it a couple times and it works fine but has limitations.

Here's the catch though. unless you are trying to get the distance of a very large target (cliff, house, 18 wheeler) you cut the distance rating in half.

So realistikly for man or deer sized targets the 400 is a 200 yard range finder and the 800 is a 400 yard range finder. This is why he got the 800, I figured if was never gonna be shooting at anything living (deer/man/varmint) past 400 or 500 yards I would buy the 1200 yard rated rangefinder.

His (The 800) has many different modes that the 400 doesn't have. Rain is one, and SCAN mode which is very cool. just hold down the buttom in scan mode and move it around the area you are set up and mentally mark distances.

The expensive ones have a very fine laser which is why they are more accurate at distance, but considering they cost $1000 more than cheaper ones, I think they are good deal if you need the distance.

FYI - LCD's don't like sun, remember the first LCD watches that would go blank in the sun?

You can get reviews at snipershide and snipersparadise

http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/index.php?showtopic=16208&hl=Swarovski

And I'm still running with a bunch of shooters who have them so I always try to take one of them along with me, yes the cheap man's laser range finder is to find friends that already own them.

Lloyd Smale
10-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I dont nessisarily use one while hunting but we hunt alot of differnt farm fields and i do use mine the first day to get an idea of ranges around the field.

mpmarty
10-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Gee whiz all these hi falutin' laser finders... I've got a "Ranging" split image optical range finder issued to me in 1959 or so that works OK out to 1200 yards. It is a bit large and doesn't work in dim light very well but is accurate as all get out in daylight.

PatMarlin
10-02-2011, 03:03 AM
I've got Leupold "Wind River" Binocs with internal range finder that's really accurate. Very nice optics as well. A bit pricey. but I think it was money well spent.

Huntducks
10-02-2011, 02:12 PM
I have been long range hunting for years he!! before anyone knew what it was and long long before range finders, my first RF was a Bushnell it would only do like 250yds on a good day, I moved up to a Nikon 600 it would do about 470 on a deer-elk then I got a Zeiss 1000 I could get about 750 yds on deer - elk size game last year on my way home from Montana I stopped in Scheels in Billings they had a Leica 1600 demo on sale for 40% off retail it will do an honest 1200 yds on elk and 900 on P-dogs it's 7x and the glass is great it's so clear.

The best RF I have seen personally is a Steiner 10x50 military but the tag is a bit steep $2900:groner:

IMHO for average hunter and the money you can't go wrong with the Nikon.

BAGTIC
10-03-2011, 06:58 PM
I have a rangefinder too but I don't use it to tell me how to shoot. I use it to tell me when not to shoot.

frankenfab
10-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I have a Leica RF800. I was able to range a water tower at 982 yards, or so it said. It worked great for 6 years. The last time I got it out, no worky. New battery, no worky.

I haven't gotten around to sending it in, yet. It probably fold from not being used and the battery being left in.

btroj
10-03-2011, 09:29 PM
I have a rangefinder too but I don't use it to tell me how to shoot. I use it to tell me when not to shoot.

How is a range finder telling someone how to shoot? It is telling you a range, nothing more. What you do with that information is up to the shooter.
I suppose you sight in at unknown distances? Never look at ballistics charts? Ignore wind drift charts?

1Shirt
10-07-2011, 07:33 AM
When I posted this thread, I never expected so many replies. Am sort of in between the thoughts of Lloyd Smiley and Quigly284. Am not interested in shooting big game long range, but like to know ranges when I am in a deer stand out to 200. That is about my max range for deer, with a preference of under 100.
On P-dogs however knowing pretty close to within 25-30 yds out to 500 saves a lot of ammo. A good friend has a pair of early Bushnell range finding Binocs (no longer made-at least his mod), and they work great for dogs. His accuracy/kill rate went way up after he started using them. Thanks to all who responded.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

DLCTEX
10-07-2011, 08:26 AM
A Bushnell 1000 has been very satisfactory for 4 years now.

bearcove
10-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Your rifle can kill at 1,000 yards and greater. The question is whether the shooter can do so consistently and humanely.

When shooting at small vermin almost any hit will result in a quick and huimane death because the power of the bullet is overwhelming in relationship to the size of the prey. When shooting at larger prey where being off by a couple of inches doesn't result in a clean miss but potentially a wounded animal it is harder to justify.

If you can not get close enough for a certain clean kill pass up the shot. There will always be another opportunity. What has happened to people where their egos demand that they kill something, regardless of circumstances, to prove themselves.

I guess the name of the game nowadays is "Someting has got to die or my whole day is wasted." It appears that hunting is going the way of pro sports where ethics have been cast aside for inflated statistics to accompany the inflated egos.

That is a simple minded attitude. I am getting one so I know the range better. In New mexico we have a few cool hunts that are once in a lifetime. In other words if you draw that is your only tag you ever get. Terrain varries a lot. It is hard to judge range on a sagebrush flat. I've stalked an Oryx that looked to be 5-600 yards only to relize it was about a 1000+. I'd like my hunts to be sucessful and challenging

It is just a tool.

If you want a challenging hunt traditional archery. I do.

Sonnypie
10-07-2011, 01:53 PM
I only shoot at the range anymore, so I know what my distances are. Out to 600 yards.
I know.. boring.
Back when I did hunt, and fed my Family on wild game, range finders were something on battle ships and fighter jets.
So I had to rely on my practice, accuracy, and experience with a certain load in my rifle.
It was called "Kentucky Windage".
Me and my friend made a video about it. We're STARZ!

http://youtu.be/tdRLfO9CU2U

Now I use a tack-tickel scope wif MIL dots, and adjustibble pair-of-lax.
(Magnified Kentucky Windage) :shock:
And I sing:
"I can see clearly now,
The blurr is gone.
I can see all targets,
Within my view.
I can see clearly now,
The blurr is gone.
Even on a bright, bright,
Sun-shiney day." (http://youtu.be/XtiXiYMS86U)

:popcorn:

Artful
10-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Sonnypie - are you playing Zeke or Jeb in dat video motion picture?

jameslovesjammie
10-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Buy a rangefinder with longer yardage than you are planning on shooting. We hunt pronghorn on wide open flats. We use the Leica 1200 and it is fantastic. It has ranged out to 1100 yards or so on nonreflective targets.

The Swaro is the best on the market, but also the most $$$. The Leica is probably the best unit for the money, but the new line of Bushnells are also good for the dollar, as long as you go with their longer range units. I wouldn't go with a unit of less than 1,000 yards. That will give you more consistant readings on nonreflective targets.