PDA

View Full Version : Good Tumbler For The Money?

metweezer
09-25-2011, 07:24 PM
There seems to be a whole lot of tumblers out there with various prices. Any opinions on a tumbler that will do the job without breaking the bank? I plan on cleaning the brass by using a citric acid solution. After drying I figure a little vibrating with some corn cob media for a few hours in a tumbler would get the brass nice and shiny.
Tks, Steve

bwgdog
09-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Ultra Vibe 10 by Thumblers Tumbler stk #183 made by Tru Square Metal Products in WA-I wasted a lot of money,time,ect fooling around with the others over the years. Barry

Rocky Raab
09-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Berry's Manufacturing. They actually make the tumblers for many other companies. You may as well get one from the source. Great people, too.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-25-2011, 07:54 PM
i had a lyman turbo just about 20 years
got a hornady tumbler last year it works
as good as the lyman did just hope it
lasts as long

captaint
09-25-2011, 08:02 PM
weezer - I got one of the Frankford Arsenal cheapie vibrators. (had a Thumblers for years, thry're slower) Had no trouble with the vibrator. After reading here that they sometimes freeze up after a while, I opened mine up and oiled all the places that looked like they might need it. Great success so far. enjoy Mike

mooman76
09-25-2011, 08:10 PM
I had a Lyman for about 3 years before it burned out. I bought a Frankford arsenal after that and like it better. It's quieter and works well. I haven't used it as much as the Lyman but I've had it longer(about 5 years). I also like the fact that the frankford tumbler has a completely enclosed lid and it keeps the dust down much better.

Herb3
09-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Berry's Manufacturing. They actually make the tumblers for many other companies. You may as well get one from the source. Great people, too.

My Berry's tumbler as been great. 3 year warranty and it as an on/off switch.

onondaga
09-25-2011, 10:06 PM
I have the RCBS Vibratory Case Cleaner. It has saved me from buying any other tool for separating media from the brass. The RCBS has two tops, one is a slotted sieve top. To separate media I just take off the solid top and screw the sieve top back on. Turn the unit on and hold it upside down over a bucket. All the media runs into the bucket with a little jiggling in less than a minute.

I use walnut shell #12 grit @$25/25 Lbs from HarborFreight, occasionally I add a couple sprays of Goo Gone and a tablespoon of Chrome polish liquid wax.. I replace the media about once every 3 years when it begins to break down and get smaller.

This unit handles 100 .458 Win Mag or 200 .223 Rem. cases easily and gets them better than factory clean and shiny in 3.5 hours with my setup. Just make sure when you add new polish and Goo Gone to run the unit an hour with no brass to disperse the clumps of polish and Goo Gone before adding brass or it will get into your cases.

I have also used this unit with a home brew liquid cleaner of vinegar, water, salt and dish soap for a 20 minute cleaning of very filthy range brass followed by dumping into a through warm running of water rinse using a utility bucket in the sink and the RCBS is superb for liquid cleaning also.

My RCBS is over 10 years old and I've had no problems.

Gary

DLCTEX
09-25-2011, 10:41 PM
My Frankford Arsenal one is still going great after at least 18 years. I bought the sifter with it and it is worth the money also.

Old Caster
09-25-2011, 10:58 PM
I had a small midway for a long time and it never caused trouble. I bought a Berry about 4 years ago because it has a high plastic insides where I could put liquid in with ceramic for my Black Powder cases although they reccomend that you don't do that. You have to be extremely careful not to get liquid in the neck. I used it that way 2 years and now no longer shoot BPCR so I only use it for corn cob and I do think the Berry is quite a bit better than the Midway. I think it is the shape of it that makes it more efficient but I never had a problem with either. I gave the midway to a friend and he likes it just fine.

Russ in WY
09-25-2011, 11:01 PM
If brass is reasonably clean , after the Citric acid , Maybe 30 mins & U shud have like Factory new lookin brass. After the citric , I only rinsed & dried , was nice color brite & read to process.. My 2¢ Russ.

evan price
09-26-2011, 07:09 AM
No need for citric acid.

I started with a Midway 1292, wore out 4 bowls in it before the motor fried. Good beginner tumbler.

I now own 2 Berry's/Cabela's tumblers. Much more heavy duty. Better cord, switch and thicker plastic. Ball bearing motor instead of sleeves, larger everything. Quieter, too. I tumble 1000+ pounds of brass a year and my Berry's run 24-7 with only brief interludes. These things are horses! You can get them from EA Brown for $49, or $64 with the full kit. That's cheaper than direct from Berry's. The Cabela's tumbler is the same as the Berry's, just green instead of blue. Both are the best IMHO out there for the price.

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/Berry_s_Tumbler_Kit_1_Tumbler_Corncob_Polish_Sifte r_Bucket-2056-0.html

I use zilla crushed walnut shell. It is very fine like sugar sand. Add a squirt of NuFinish auto polish in the orange bottle. That has some citric acid in it, as well as microfine ceramic polish beads. This stuff makes brass sparkle like new. For really dirty brass I use a chemical called "Paint Clean Up" which is brush cleaner, it is safe for plastic brushes and won't hurt the plastic tumbler- I ruined a Midway bowl with regular mineral spirits, it softened the plastic and the whole thing got saggy.

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=21&prodid=256

I get it at Lowe's.

Kraschenbirn
09-26-2011, 09:27 AM
So far as tumblers...either vibratory or rotary...I guess I'm a little out of date. I've got a small (2 quart capacity) Thumler's that's great for small quantities; up to, perhaps, 40-50 rifle cases. Purchased sometime in the early '70s and, other than replacing a drive belt or two, has never given me a bit of trouble.

For larger batches, I've got an old (1985 or so) Dillon 2000 that easily polishes a thousand .45 ACPs (or similar) at a time. Other than an occasional cleaning and oiling, this one's been maintenance-free for over 25 years. Don't remember what I paid for it back then but it's been a good investment.

Bill

Rocky Raab
09-26-2011, 02:11 PM
I still recommend buying one directly from Berry's. When Berry's builds a tumbler for a client, they build it to the customer's spec. That might mean cheaper, less durable components so they can undercut prices. Berry's uses only the best stuff for their own models - and use USA-made components as much as possible. They refuse to use cheap import stuff if an American-made unit is available, even if the US piece costs more.

Besides, if you have a problem, they'll bend over backwards - twice - to fix it. Here's a story I can personally vouch for: A guy bought a cheap tumbler at a discount store and had problems with it. He could get no help whatever where he bought it, and later learned that Berry's makes tumblers for other companies. Assuming this one was from Berry's he shipped it to them. The folks at Berry's knew at once that they hadn't made it, but they sent the guy a new Berry's tumbler -- no charge!

milprileb
09-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Like a lot of things, you can go for the full Rolls Royce and buy the Dillon. If your volume / requirement is not huge, you can do well with most any brand at a good price.

I caught a Cabellas (Berrys makes it) for $45 shipped over 3 yrs ago and its just one fine piece of kit. I have cleaned at least 3 each 55 gallon drums of brass thru it and its just working fine.

Internet searches will show you Harbor Freight, Frankfort Arsenal, Lyman and some others have had bad units sold with reloaders unhappy. You can find as many pro as con with same makers products so I am not sure there is a clear track record of a particular model being faulty or not.

My experience with Cabellas, RCBS, Hornady and Dillon tells me any of their products will get good customer service and provide me awesome value for the money spent.

Find the best one you can for sale and you are probably Okay. Berrys gives a ton of value for the money so you might think of their units. Cabellas has them on sale right now.

Boolseye
09-26-2011, 10:57 PM
+1 Cabela's

Tatume
09-27-2011, 06:10 AM
After reviewing every tumbler I could locate I finally decided upon the Midsouth house model. It was the cheapest, and had the longest warranty.

Boolseye
09-27-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm sure you'll be fine. They're a reputable place.

G__Fred
10-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Depends on the amount of cases and the money you wish to spend.

I started with the 2-Barrel tumbler from Harbor Freight. It works well (and still does). Unfortunately I quickly moved up to tumbling a MUCH larger volume. I now have a "home-built" tumbler using 3 coffee cans in a sound reduction box. I can run 1800 9mm in 6 hours and they are a mirror brass finish.

Picture 1 - Open w/3 barrels (coffee cans)
Picture 2 - The bearings that the spinning rods ride (garage door bearings)
Picture 3 - Sound reduction box closed and in operation

Oh, I have sold the 2-barrel tumbler.....

milprileb
10-02-2011, 03:36 PM
I have the Thumblers Tumbler Model B: bought over 30 yrs ago and running just fine. At that time, it was state of the art for this brass cleaning. Have changed belts about 6 times in those years but ..... its so slow compared to a vibrator new tech style as sold today.

Depends on what amount you got to clean and how fast you want it.

Electric Motors: You get a good one and they last and you get a bad one sometimes and get a drama. Hard to say how you avoid that and the cheaper end of vibrator tumblers appear more prone to motors that conk out early. My Berry 45 buck Cabellas one is an exception
so maybe I got lucky or its life span conks out at year 5. Who knows !

However I got more than 45 bucks in service from it so far and don't regret not buying the Dillon. I am a Dillon guy, RCBS and Hornady guy as well. I think you buy from Cabellas, RCBS, DIllon or Hornady and your customer service will take care of you if your unit conks out.

But like I said: electric motors are a Krap shoot: get a good one and it last a long time.

The internet reviews on this subject in my opinion allowed me to make a good choice for a vibrator type tumbler without shelling out a ton of money. Search and make your own decision.

Size of bowl size (investigate that fact) and ON/OFF switch are two considerations to remember.

9.3X62AL
10-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Another old school reloader using the Thumler Model B--two of them, now. They are slower than vibratory types, but quieter. I'm not often in a hurry to get my brass cleaned. The Thumler is almost 30 years old.

bogorman
10-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Another vote for a cabelas tumbler, bought mine 4 years ago, just remember it was cheap at the time. Built sturdy and has run flawless.

milprileb
10-02-2011, 07:15 PM
The Thumblers Thumbler is not cheap these days (nor was it when I got it) but its near bullet proof and will out last my life time. The motor might as well.

If speed is not an issue, the Model B will always do the job. Its effective but as said, its old tech next to the shake rattle & roll of the new vibrating ones.

mpmarty
10-02-2011, 10:50 PM
I have the Dillon as well as their huge separator device I've had them for about twenty years and am very happy with them as I am with all my Dillon gear.

milprileb
10-03-2011, 08:38 AM
I own a lot of Dillon presses and that does not surprise me about their tumbler lasting that long.

Dillon makes great stuff. Ain't cheap and Ain't junk !

G__Fred
10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Post #19 with pictures.......

Lizard333
10-03-2011, 03:29 PM
My suggestion is going to cost you more up front but will save you time and money in the long run. Get the stainless tumbling media and the thumblers tumbler that cones with it in a kit for 250$. Brass that looks as good as brand new. One step. No need for another tumbler. Another bonus is your media will never go bad. The stuff is awesome. I wish I hadn't waited so long.

Rocky Raab
10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
psssst...Dillon doesn't make tumblers. Cabela's doesn't make tumblers. They order them made to their specs and simply ship them to you - probably without ever even opening the boxes they came in.

lead-1
10-04-2011, 03:10 AM
I ruined a Midway bowl with regular mineral spirits, it softened the plastic and the whole thing got saggy.

Thanks, now I know why my tumbler from Cabela's looks like it is peeling apart in layers on the inside. I used Nu-finish and mineral spirits in the media, I didn't know what caused it because the Frankfort and Lyman never had that problem.
I just assumed it was a bad batch of plastic the bowl was made from.

evan price
10-04-2011, 03:20 AM
Thanks, now I know why my tumbler from Cabela's looks like it is peeling apart in layers on the inside. I used Nu-finish and mineral spirits in the media, I didn't know what caused it because the Frankfort and Lyman never had that problem.
I just assumed it was a bad batch of plastic the bowl was made from.

I've got two of the Berry's/Cabela's tumblers running walnut media, Nu-Finish and "Paint Clean-up" which after tracking down the info for the MSDS turns out to be nothing more than Stoddard Solvent. So a splash of Stoddard Solvent to keep the media looking 'moist' and they just keep trucking. No bowl issues with mine; Cabela's may well replace your tumbler for free next time you go by one of their stores.

Even really grungy, muddy, and tarnished outdoor range brass comes clean in a few hours. The really brown stuff I leave run overnight.

Those guys with their fancy and expensive wet metal media may wind up with brand-new looking brass, but I'm just pleased with what I've got and it's a lot cheaper and faster to boot.
:kidding: