PDA

View Full Version : Storeing lubed boolits

Billvz
02-02-2007, 12:17 AM
How do you gentleman store your sized & lubed boolits? I've tryed card board boxs
& didn't care for them the lube was sticking to the side of the box. I don't like dumping them in a plastic containers, the lube gets on the bottom of the bullets & slows down my loading when I have to wipe the lube off the bottom.:Fire:

Little Doc
02-02-2007, 12:24 AM
change to a hard lube. dust with mica. store in bulk.
little doc:Fire:

BruceB
02-02-2007, 01:08 AM
If we're not talking about mega-thousands of boolits at a time, one of the large-ish "parts cabinets" with plastic drawers works well (Wal-Mart, Harbor Freight etc). I have many such cabinets, and most of the drawers will hold around a hundred or more boolits neatly standing on their base ends. The number per drawer will obviously vary according to bullet size. I've seen cabinets with as many as 64 drawers or more, and such a rig will hold a LOT of boolits.

I like the cabinets with all-one-size drawers, and the best drawer size for my purposes seems to be the ones which are about 5.5" long by 2.75" wide (rough estimate from memory). If dust is a concern, as it is with me, cut pieces of target paper of the correct size to lay on top of the boolits in the drawers and cover them.

Dale53
02-02-2007, 01:37 AM
I have used cigar boxes for years. Bullets neatly stacked, shoulder to shoulder, standing on their bases. I layer with a separator of tablet backing or equivalent.

Now, most of my bullets are stacked the same way in plastic kitchen containers from the Dollar Store. Inexpensive, neat, water proof and dust tight.

Dale53

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-02-2007, 01:48 AM
I am a bit anal about storing competition quality bullets, from my 38-90 and 45-70 and 50-110 down to the .30's for BR. I bulk buy the plastic pistol boxes from Dillon or Midway and store them that way. Less accuracy = cigar boxes...another good excuse to smoke good cigars. Note" I say good, not machine rolled. Handmades are 100% tobacco with no chemicals.

Stogey up!

Rich
DRSS

wills
02-02-2007, 01:57 AM
The pistol cartridge boxes for 44 mag 45 colt make good rifle boolit boxes. Dont store the boolits lubed.

Buckshot
02-02-2007, 02:24 AM
............If they're actually lube-sized I like to keep'em in those plastic slip top boxes that 22's come in. Especially the 22 and 17 mags. Using those you can get 40 of'em in there (30cal & 8mm) 50, 7mm, and about 60, 6.5mm. They all stand up and the lid slides on. Those 100 round 22RF boxes do well for the shorter slugs. If the boolits are just tumble lubed I use those inexpensive Glad storage containers.

...............Buckshot

Bass Ackward
02-02-2007, 07:00 AM
Every bullet that I have that is sized or lubed is stored in it's own special brass case to protect it. :grin:

JSH
02-02-2007, 08:54 AM
I use the plastic and styrafoam liners from store bought ammo. 20-50 in a bunch. I can just grab as many as I need, also I have a good Idea on what my inventory is at a glance.
Jeff

Lloyd Smale
02-02-2007, 09:11 AM
glad containers. Ive got probably 250000 sized bullet stored at any one time and i dont have time to bother stacking them. I use a medium to soft cosistance lube and dont have trouble with the lube. When I used javalina it was a slight problem in the summer heat.

FISH4BUGS
02-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Most all of my cast bullets go through one of 4 sub machine guns - 380, 9mm and 45. The others are shot out of pistols or revolvers - 9mm, 38/357 and 44. I try to have as many cast sized and lubed bullets as possible on hand in all the calibers so I can load when I need to on the Dillon 550.
I live in a condo building with 42 units and we recycle here. Fortunately, there are alot of coffee drinkers here and they recycle the cans. In watching the recycling bins, I have assembled the world's foremost collection of large coffee cans with lids (both metal and plastic cans), and put all my finished bullets in these and put the lids on and label the cans. I use Magma hard lube through the Star sizer with a heater. Never a problem.
But then again, there is precious little bench rest shooting done with a machine gun!

NVcurmudgeon
02-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Every bullet that I have that is sized or lubed is stored in it's own special brass case to protect it. :grin:

Bass, thanks for the early AM laugh, that's my procedure too.

mazo kid
02-02-2007, 07:30 PM
I asked the local Hosp lab to save me the styrofoam and/or plastic holders the blood sample vials come in. Didn't take long to get 10-12 and I can always get more. Emery

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/mazokid/Gunn-Trnnk%20bullet/Gunn-Trenkbullet.jpg

Ricochet
02-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Man, that's a GREAT idea!

mag_01
02-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Bass ------- you hit the nail right on the head----Mag

arkypete
02-03-2007, 08:15 AM
I store my rifle bullets in zip lock bags with a business card with all of the data recorded on the back. Each time I cast rifle bullets each pot of alloy becomes one lot, which is sorted by weight after culling.
I got the business cards from the local Kinko's. These cards were not accepted by or picked up, the customer. The price was right $00.00.
Each lot of bullets is loaded in lots of 100 or 200 cases, with the data transferred to the business card . As I shoot each lot I record the data in a hard bound ledger book specific to that caliber/rifle.
For pistol bullets, I put them into tubs, usually the three pound butter tubs. For 45 Colt and 45acp I use one of those under the bed plastic tubs. 18 by 24 by 12. Once it get full it stays where it is until it's empty.
Jim

montana_charlie
02-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Mazo Kid,
Is that mould from Victory Molds?
CM

Edward429451
02-03-2007, 03:13 PM
The larger quantities of boolits got into various sizes of tupperware that I uh allocated from the wifey's kitchen. The clear Glad ones. The smaller quantities go into the clearish Q-Tip plastic boxes that are included with some Q-Tips.

I zip screwed some scotchbrite to my reloading bench right beside my press to wipe bases on before I seat them. Works great.

ejjuls
02-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Here is another method - pretty similar to most but a little different.
I use the tins from christmas cookies, boyscouts popcorn, and metal coffee cans.

Lubed and checked/sized slugs are stacked in the cans - each layer is separated by a piece of slick-backed cardboard (pop or beer cartons). Once the can is full then they are covered and marked on the lid.

A 3 pound coffee can can hold about 1,000 300 grain 44 slugs.

I use this method so the maximum space can be utilized and saved.
All of the cans are stored in my utility room where the temps never get over 80 degrees. No lube melting problems what so ever even with really soft BP lube.

Eric

mazo kid
02-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Montana Charlie, you guessed it!! I was lucky enough to get in on the loaner deal going then, only cost me the postage to send the mould on to the next guy. I understand that Victory is sold now. Don't know if the moulds will still be produced?? Emery

brshooter
02-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I use aluminum trays I had made up at work. 1/8" aluminum with 3/8" sides,open on one end, inside dimensions 7" X 9 1/2". They hold appox. 350 .45 cal. bullets. Work great. Jon

nelsonted1
02-04-2007, 01:30 AM
I make my own boxes out of cereal boxes and anything else the right size. After the first two or three easy and fast to make. I use the box's sides as the bottom, measure an 1" or 1.5" of the side depending on the bullet length, add some for top and you have a box. Turn the new-made box inside out and wallah! A bullet box. I'm much more competent at making a box than I am explaining it.

TED

DLCTEX
02-04-2007, 04:16 PM
I use various containers ranging from plastic bowls to tins to zip lock bags. Really like the blood vial idea, wonder if it will fit in a large zip lock? I then store these in an old refrigerator scavenged from a customer who wanted it removed from her garage because it was rusty. Still works. Keeps powder and lube cool in our warm100*+ climate. Need to scavenge another one so i can keep powder and lube seperately for convenience sake. I keep the temp setting high so it runs as little as possible. Dale