PDA

View Full Version : Teflon bullet mold lube ?

milprileb
09-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Has anyone tried Slick 50 or some other Teflon stuff for a bullet mold lube yet ?

longbow
09-24-2011, 10:45 AM
I generally use the lube supplied with the mould, 2 stroke engine oil or a wipe with boolit lube.

Not only is Slick 50 expensive but it has been reported in other threads that Teflon can give off nasty fumes if heated too much. Not sure if that is true since it is used in non-stick coatings for cookware but possibly at casting temperatures it breaks down.

I suppose that from a cost standpoint, you use so little it is irrelevant and even if the fume issue is true it wouldn't likely be a problem if casting with good ventilation.

I would be more concerned that it might leave a residue of Teflon on the mould.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Longbow

onondaga
09-24-2011, 11:15 AM
I have can of Slick 50 1 Lube in hand here and the label says "...a protective film of premium lubricating oil fortified with advanced Silck 50 PTFE chemistry"

Teflon or not, Slick 50 contains oil and petroleum products are definitely known to boil and gas out at mold temperatures causing casting flaws and voids.

You will be much more satisfied using pure silicone products or 100% synthetic lubricants for mold lube.. They do not contain OIL.

I have no complaints with pure silicone lubricants or clear silicone dielectric grease from automotive parts stores. SOme members also report good results with 100% synthetic 2 stroke oil as it has no petroleum. These things are not hard to find and the tiny amount used for mold lube is economical.

I use the Slick 50 1 lube as a trigger lubricant and it is excellent for that.

Slick 50 One Lube MSDS:
http://www.theprintersshopper.com/files/MSDS/CH7288-Slick_50_One_Lube_MSDS.pdf

Gary

milprileb
09-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks Gary... now do you use that stuff in your vehicle ?

onondaga
09-24-2011, 01:38 PM
I use a synthetic blend in my Jeep!!!

Gary