PDA

View Full Version : An anomoly ?? P 38

KCSO
02-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I got in a couple of P 38's for the guys and there was one left over so I thought I would keep it for myself. Now I am not a big P38 fan ever since I dropped the slide on one with the safety down and neatly skinned my right tuhmb, but...
I usually figure a good P38 will put 5 at 25 into maybe 3 inches if you really hold close so I posted a target and grabbed a box of reloads and gave it a try. Five cast reloads went into 1 1/2" at 25. Thinking this MUST be wrong I tried agan with the same results 5 in 1 1/2 2" low and dead center! I was really impressed, this one is a keeper. Now for the small *****, I forgot to mark the box of reloads, and now I don't remember what they were loaded with. I compounded the error by shooting ALL of them before I looked. I know for sure it was a Lee T/C bullet, but past that??? I have 9 loaded with 6 different powders and 3 different bullets in various combination, so my work is cut out for me.

Bye the bye those nasty J word bullets shoot almost as good the trigger pull on this pistol is 4 pounds on the snout and the sights are easy to see with pleanty of light around the flat blade. Now if I can keep the skin on my thumb...

mag_01
02-01-2007, 10:54 PM
P-38 Enjoy----one of my loads for the 9mm was 125gr. Lee tumble lube with 3.8 bull---My Taurus PT-99 liked that but for the P-38 I found 3.3 bull to be the most accurate with the 125gr. boolit---I also found the heavy bollit 148gr. J bullet did well in both pistols---My P-38 is a Walther (ac) bring back from second world war---one magazine had a bullet dent in it which made it unusable---Gun and holster is loaded with Nazi markings and is a joy to shoot----Mag