PDA

View Full Version : Saeco/Redding Warranty Question.

sig2009
09-23-2011, 11:19 PM
I bought a Saeco 9mm 122gn RN #384 from one of the members. I purchased the Saeco top punch #46516 for Lyman/RCBS sizers. I ran a couple bullets through the sizer and the top punch is putting a groove around the bullet where it sits in the puncn. It is the correct number punch with the part number etched in the side. It looks like the bullet is not seating into the punch far enough. Has anyone ever had this issue? I am going to call Redding Monday and see what they have to say. I did see on the website that they have a lifetime warranty. This was also an older Saeco mold before they became Saeco/Reddding. Any chance they could have changed the bullet profile on the newer ones?

sig2009
09-24-2011, 02:47 PM
So no one has ever dealt with Saeco/Redding before with any problems they had with their products?

MikeS
09-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Couldn't tell you about Redding, as I've never dealt with them. Did you look into the top punches I told you about in the PM? I would return the top punch you got, and get one of the ones sold by the Professor here, his signature says they're $8.50.

cbrick
09-24-2011, 03:15 PM
So no one has ever dealt with Saeco/Redding before with any problems they had with their products?

Yes I have and found it to be the worst in the industry. I used to praise Redding products, have about 25 SAECO molds and numerous other products. I praised them right up until the time I had a problem and they told me tough luck and if you don't like that just buy RCBS and they refused to honor their own written warranty. I took their advice and buy NOTHING that says Redding on it. As it turns out RCBS not only has better products but far less expensive also and an outstanding warranty that they stand behind 110%.

Rick

fecmech
09-24-2011, 03:24 PM
You might be able to eliminate the line by breaking the inside edge of the top punch with a small stone or countersink.

sig2009
09-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Couldn't tell you about Redding, as I've never dealt with them. Did you look into the top punches I told you about in the PM? I would return the top punch you got, and get one of the ones sold by the Professor here, his signature says they're $8.50.

Yup. I have pm'd him for more info. Thanks.

sig2009
09-24-2011, 03:53 PM
You might be able to eliminate the line by breaking the inside edge of the top punch with a small stone or countersink.

I thought about that but rather than screw with it now I want to see if they can open it up a bit.

sig2009
09-26-2011, 09:54 AM
I just spoke with lyman. Sending them the top punch. they say it might not be cut correctly

oneokie
09-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I just spoke with lyman. Sending them the top punch. they say it might not be cut correctly

I'm confused. You state you have a Saeco mould and top punch, yet you are sending the top punch to Lyman?

Iron Mike Golf
09-26-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm confused. You state you have a Saeco mould and top punch, yet you are sending the top punch to Lyman?

The fellow at Hollow Point Bullet Mold Service (http://www.hollowpointmold.com/) offers a SAECO to Lyman/RCBS top punch adapter. I have not tried that as yet.

I have eased the edge of several SAECO top punches to eliminate the "SAECO ring" on boolit noses. I have also use Mihec's punches, just held in place with a dab of Carnauba Red. The punches seem to center adequately, but then again, I am not a Bullseye shooter.

sig2009
09-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Sorry I meant Saeco

sig2009
10-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Well I got a call from Redding/Saeco yesterday. Seems that the punch is the correct profile for the bullet which it is not. He checked my cast bullet from the mold with the other punches and it is the same. None of the punches fit the profile. The tech doesn't know the reason but he said that he was giving it to the machinist to ream out to correctly match the profile of the Saeco #384 mold.

MikeS
10-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I have eased the edge of several SAECO top punches to eliminate the "SAECO ring" on boolit noses.

The way you say 'SAECO ring' makes it sound like this is a common problem with SAECO top punches, is it?

sig2009
10-04-2011, 07:59 PM
The way you say 'SAECO ring' makes it sound like this is a common problem with SAECO top punches, is it?

According to the tech I spoke with this is the first time they have had this issue brought to their attention and have not had any complaints about ringing the bullet with their top punches.