PDA

View Full Version : 44 Magnum with large rifle primers

Bradley
09-23-2011, 10:21 PM
I've got a lot of large rifle primers and almost no large pistol primers. Could I use large rifle primers in 44 Magnum brass with cast bullet loads?

rond
09-23-2011, 10:30 PM
LR primers are taller than LP primers, depending on your priming system they will not fit flush with the case or will be crushed into the pocket.

geargnasher
09-23-2011, 10:44 PM
LR primers are taller than LP primers, depending on your priming system they will not fit flush with the case or will be crushed into the pocket.

Correct, and if seated high they can bind a revolver, and are generally very unsafe to handle. Also, the rifle primers have thicker cups, and I suspect that the hammer might not strike them hard enough to go bang reliably. Stay with the right stuff, there are reasons for the different physical dimensions, to keep end users from using wrong components in dangerous situation.

Gear

44man
09-24-2011, 09:41 AM
A proud primer can fire against the rear frame even if not in line with the barrel. DON'T DO IT! It has blown up some .500 S&W's when a LR primer was used in brass made for a LP primer.
Then the primer will have so much force it will drive the boolit into the bore before ignition. That is why I only use standard LP primers in the .44, never a mag primer. That's right, I never use a LP mag in the .44.
Go buy primers.

BlueSmoke
09-24-2011, 09:59 AM
The only time I use a LP Mag primer in the 44 Mag is when I'm using W-W 296 propellant.

Never LR in a pistol case.

Regards,

BlueSmoke

longbow
09-24-2011, 10:34 AM
When I was young and not so smart, I thought large pistol primers and large rifle primers differed only in thickness/hardness of the cup so couldn't see any reason I shouldn't use LR primers in my 1894 Marlin.

I loaded a few rounds with LR primers using a basic Lee Loader and had no problems except occasionally I would get a primer pop when seating it and couldn't figure out why. Other than that they worked fine in the Marlin.

After investigating why I got primers popping when seating them it was pretty obvious they weren't seating flush with the case head. So, a check showed that indeed they are enough taller than LP primers to stick up a few though.

Since they occasionally popped when seated, it is possible they they could pop when chambered in a tight action as well. The Marlin has a pretty sloppy action so that was not a problem there but as mentioned above certain situations could result in recoil or handling causing the proud primer to fire.

I have no idea why LR primers are just a few thou taller than LP primers. Different diameter I could understand as that would prevent incorrect usage but just a few thou taller seems strange to me especially since it doesn't prevent LP primer usage in a LR pocket or LR primer usage in a LP pocket.

Best to use LP primers in your .44 brass.

Longbow

cbrick
09-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Here is why the advice by Gear and 44man is sound, valid and should be heeded.

Primer Pocket Depths ("in thousands" SAAMI Specs)

Small Pistol
.118"
To
.122"

Large Pistol
.118"
To
.122"

Small Rifle
.118"
To
.122"