PDA

View Full Version : Pre-heatd ingots

Dr.Doug
02-01-2007, 02:59 PM
I tried something today that I thought I'd share.

It was +12 degrees in my casting shed when I plugged in my lead pot this morning. I noticed my ingots were darn cold when I put the first batch in the pot to melt, so I put a few more in the container that catches my sprues. By the time I was ready to replentish my pot, the new ingots were warm to the touch- I'd guess 80-100 degrees.

I don't know if I really accomplished anything, but it soothed my frugal nature!

Happy casting,

Doug

OLPDon
02-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Dr. Doug.
I have RCBS Pro I always stack ingots atop available space it works. I also cast indoors room temp. Not sure what elect pot you have but you sure don't want to drop very cold ingots in hot lead.
When I use to work in a Can Co. yrs ago you learned quick about a cold spoon to stir the solder bath.
Don

R.M.
02-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Doug

I do much the same. I have a small 110V stove type burner that I just set my next ingots on. I've gotten to know how high to set it, and they must get up to somewhere around 500 degrees. Haven't had one melt yet, but some have gotten crumbly, indicating that they must have been close.
I still like 2 pot system that some of the guys are using, one above the other. This way you never have to get slowed down by your pot temp.

R.M.

Ricochet
02-01-2007, 04:01 PM
I've set waiting ingots on the top of the pot, over to one side.

dragonrider
02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Indeed you did accomplish a very good thing. preheating your ingots should be done always. It eliminates moisture in any form such as from condensation or in the case of very cold places, ICE. Tossing cold ingots into a hot pot can earn you a nasty visit from the tinsel fairy.

1Shirt
02-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Hi Doc, I use an RCBS, and put my ingots on the top for additional add ons to the pot to keep it warm. Many years ago when I was much younger and much dumber, I used to cast in my basement in Topeka. Had an old large cast iron fry pan, and an even older 3 burner gas stove from when the basement was an appartment. One day when It was about zero outside, and there was obviously no hunting to be done that day, I decided to cast. Turned the burners on, melted what was in the pan (probably 10 lbs. and then decided that I would need at least 20 or more for what I wanted to cast. I had my ingots out on the back porch, (little lyman 2lb), and I put about 4 of them into the molten lead. The explosion (no other word for it really) sent lead up the wall, all over the front of me, etc. Got a few small minor burns on my hands, and pulled a lot of splatters off the front of my wool long sleved shirt, and neck of the sweat shirt that I had on under it, and from the front of my Levies. Had one small splatter burn on my chin, and one on my cheek. However the scare really came when I picked the couple of little splatters off the front of my glasses. Without glasses, there is a high probability that I would have lost an eye, or at least had serious eye damage. Had not read a lot about casting prior to that, but started reading every thing I could about casting thereafter. The admonition to wear protective eyeware is something that I really take to heart. It is amazing that the good Lord looks after fools and sometimes drunks, and that day I was surely the first. This is why, I advise all new casters to seek the advise of other casters befor starting, and to read as much as they can get their hands on regarding casting. Cold here this a.m. about zero, probably about the same in the bow. Have kiln firing in the garage, so should be warm enough in there this afternoon to cast.
1Shirt!:coffee: :coffee:

Dr.Doug
02-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Glad to hear you're staying warm, 1Shirt! It was -4 when I left the house.

I'm glad you didn't experience any lasting effects (other than the educational ones) from your mishap. I'm religious about keeping my casting material dry, but I'd never considered the temperature contrast as a potential problem. I'm casting out of a little Lee pot, so I have to replentish is quite often.

BTW, I sorted boolits last night. Of the 200+ I cast yesterday morning, there were 2 bloopers, 8 with damaged bases, 8 heavies, and the rest were within 1 gr. :-D That's the best run I've ever had! I'm a happy camper!