PDA

View Full Version : The Casting Addiction keeps getting better

Pb&j
09-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Have been reloading for about 2 years and casting for only several months now with some good results through trial and error, patience, spending lots of time here and just recently reading Lymans 4th edition. I was told by a trusted shooter before I got into casting that casting is more a waste of time and a liability AND that shooting cast bullets through a rifle is dangerous and just plain stupid. Well! That gentleman could not have been more wrong from my perspective. I am happy to find on this site and in the Lyman book that shooting cast bullets through my late fathers 30/30 is absolutely safe if done correctly. Later I see Lyman has a load for another gun I don't shoot due to the cost of ammo and that is a 300 win mag. I want to get more adept with my handgun load castings before moving to rifle but still have one question. Could I really bring out the ole 300 and use cast boolits through it. I'd be happy with just the 30/30 going bang again let alone the 300.

I've been off work due to a broken clavicle but have found out several things. You can melt a huge amount of wheel weights and practice the craft with one hand when necessary. The whole hobby of reloading and casting might have kept me from going insane these past weeks. Cheers everyone, this place is awesome!:drinks:

plainsman456
09-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Yes the 300 win mag can shoot cast.We shot some in a 300 short mag for a while.
As for it being dangerous not so much as long as you use your head.
Good Casting

Wayne Smith
09-22-2011, 05:51 PM
If you really want to get that 300 Win Mag up to speed go down and read in the Smokeless Paper Patching section!

geargnasher
09-22-2011, 09:38 PM
+1, Wayne, full-tilt or nuthin'!

The .30-30 is about the best place to start that I can think of.

Casting with one hand must be difficult, I hope I never have to find out!

Keep up the good work,

Gear

dverna
09-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Casting a waste of time???

Well, it definitely is not for everyone. There are three reasons to cast. One, being you need/want to save money. Second, you are interested in the hobby. Third, is the desire to be self-sufficient.

Most hobbies are "a waste of time". Otherwise, we could earn money at them. Some people do make a side income from their hobby, and even fewer can start a business related to their hobby. But most of us "waste our time".

Going to a range and shooting at targets is a total waste of time unless we expect to compete and win cash/prizes/trophies at some point. Typically, we are spending money to shoot at things you cannot eat or sell.

Although I have not cast a bullet in decades, there was a time I needed to in order to shoot. I was young and stupid then. and should have realized that if stopped wasting my time at the range the "need" to have bullets would have evaporated!

Now, I am old and stupid. I still shoot but no longer need to cast. But things may change so I lurk here and learn. Casting has changed dramatically over what seemed possible/practical 30 years ago. Maybe your friend should spend some time on this site?

Don

Pb&j
09-23-2011, 05:26 PM
If you really want to get that 300 Win Mag up to speed go down and read in the Smokeless Paper Patching section!

I don't know what that is but upon first reading, I've got some homework ahead of me. Another enabler [smilie=w:I'm just darn happy I can expand on something I already enjoy.

Well, it definitely is not for everyone. There are three reasons to cast. One, being you need/want to save money. Second, you are interested in the hobby. Third, is the desire to be self-sufficient. Don

Don, you hit the nail on the head repeatedly. And the wife enjoys the fact we can shoot more and for less money. By the end of this month she might be one more pistol happier than me. I see 9mm dies in my future. She already asked if the Titanium plate on my clavicle would eventually end up down range :shock: . I've gotta find out what its ballistic characteristics and its melting point is first honey, sorry!

colt 357
09-23-2011, 05:46 PM

Well, it definitely is not for everyone. There are three reasons to cast. One, being you need/want to save money. Second, you are interested in the hobby. Third, is the desire to be self-sufficient.

Don

This is my new quote of the year. well said Don. My son and I shoot every weekend about a 150 rounds or so and paying for 2 of us it is the only way to go. I had a gun store manager tell me you can't shoot lead though a automatic you well wreck your gun but I have some cooper jacketed bullets here a 100 for $25.99 that wont wreck or lead you gun. I said I suppose you great grandpa told the Wright brothers they couldn't fly. What do you mean I then told him I had shot 2500 to 3000 rounds though my taurus .40 so far this summer with no problems. Thanks to this site getting my going. (thanks again guys)
Another great thing about reloading and casting your own is when you out shoot someone that has a $45.00 box of bullets and you have your $4.25 box of cast reloads plus you have twice the bullets.

captaint
09-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Well, I've never had more fun just wasting my time. Heck, every time I go to the range, I shoot at least 200 rounds, usually 300. I could not begin for afford that buying ammo. By my numbers, my 45ACP's cost me about $3.25 a box of 50. Now THAT, I don't even have to think about. enjoy Mike

dverna
09-23-2011, 07:54 PM
The reason I responded as I did was that I am appalled at how much ignorance is spewed out of the mouth of shooters who think they are experts. Furthermore, some of us take cheap stupid shots at other shooters and alienate our "brothers in arms".

Casting is not stupid
Skeet shooters do not wear pink tu-tu's
AR 15 and AK47 owners are not wannabee Rambo's
Mouse guns have their place
Shooting a 300 Mag does not mean you are a poor shot
If you have average intelligence you will not blow up your gun if your reload
Trap shooters are not jerks
Hunting deer is not Bambi killing
Owning a 44 Mag does make you Dirty Harry
I don't care if there is no "good" reason to have a .50 sniper rifle.
and the list goes on........

Let's respect each discipline and shooting endeavor. We have enough enemies as is. We do not need to self-destruct.

Don

kbstenberg
09-23-2011, 10:15 PM
PB&J an depending on what size the bores of your 30/30 an 300 Mag you can shoot the same bullets out of both of them.

209jones
09-25-2011, 09:08 PM
I think one of the more interesting aspects of casting is the variety of guns & shooting disciplines it enables a person to acquire and shoot. If you can come up with brass or a mold for it, it can be made into a shooter. Going thru the process to start out in a new discipline is an interesting exercise in itself. I would never accuse it of being cheaper though. There are just too many nice toys out there.

44man
09-26-2011, 08:55 AM
I have to tell you how to waste time! :mrgreen:
Sitting at this machine every morning while things that NEED done slip away. :drinks:
At my age I waste so much time that by the time I have to do a job I say the heck with it, tomorrow sounds better anyway! :roll:
Once you show a condom bullet shooter how you can out shoot them with a grease ball, they will either quit shooting or start to also waste time. :Fire:

WyomingWhitetail
09-26-2011, 09:40 AM
if people can shoot cast out of 22's at close to 3000fps with good results i think it would be relatively easy to get a 300 to shoot cast. My dad has on older Win 94 in 30-30 that i have been wanting to try cast out of but haven't had the chance. I also want to try cast for practice loads out of 6.5-06 and 25-06 and 6mm Rem.

Jal5
09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Casting, reloading and shooting my own ammo is simply a lot of fun! I really enjoy all aspects of it. And I can shoot more inexpensively (once I bought the equipment) than if I shot only manufactured ammo. I like the challenge of it too, finding a good load recipe for a certain gun, range testing, and then practicing with that gun and ammo I made up myself. What's not to like?