PDA

View Full Version : when to weigh

Will
09-22-2011, 03:37 PM
When weighing boolits for consistency, do you weigh before sizing and lubing?

Bent Ramrod
09-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Generally yes, and also before gas check seating. The only exception is when I find that a load using eyeball sorted cast boolits, that are already sized, lubed and gas checked, appears to be performing especially well. Then I might weigh the finished boolits to get 50 of the same weight to see how good the load really is.

If that extra accuracy proves out, then the next time I cast a batch, I will weigh the castings before sizing, lubing, etc., and proceed as before.

Lizard333
09-22-2011, 03:44 PM
For general shooting and plinking I don't. For rifle I will if have to really accurate. Personally I find my boolits in general are more accurate than I am. With or without weighing them.

Marlin Junky
09-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Sometimes I weigh before and after lubing, but when segregating into groups by weight, it's always before lubing. Sizing alone has no affect on weight. When casting big bore boolits with aluminum molds, I need to segregate by weight anytime I break my rhythm at the casting bench.

MJ

plainsman456
09-22-2011, 04:25 PM
The other day I weighed some 220 grain cast boolits.I picked 5 out of the pile and used the weight of these for an average.
I sorted into 3 piles light,dead on and heavy.Then weighed those to see what the difference was...About 2 grains.
What does this mean,I have no clue other to say they all went into the same box for loading.

williamwaco
09-22-2011, 08:16 PM
The other day I weighed some 220 grain cast boolits.I picked 5 out of the pile and used the weight of these for an average.
I sorted into 3 piles light,dead on and heavy.Then weighed those to see what the difference was...About 2 grains.
What does this mean,I have no clue other to say they all went into the same box for loading.

I believe you are saying that out of a batch of 220 grain bullets the weight spread was about 2 grains?

If there wer more than 20 bullets in that batch, I would say that is spectacular uniformity.

plainsman456
09-22-2011, 09:15 PM
It was more like 200+.
I was on a roll.

Czech_too
09-23-2011, 06:47 AM
The only cast boolits that I weigh are for the 22's. With these I like to stay within .5% +/- of the weight that the mould is supposed to drop with a #2 alloy. My thinking is that these boolits would be more prone to reflect variations, weight wise, in POI, than a heavier boolit would.

Will
09-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Those who do weigh, How far out do you consider a reject of, let's say a 150gr 30cal. By a reject I mean one you toss back in the pot and not save for a plinker.

Calamity Jake
09-23-2011, 08:29 AM
I don't weigh pistol boolits, just inspect for fill out.

All rifle boolits get inspected for fill out and then weigh sorted and grouped to .5 gr spread in calibers 6.5 up, anything smaller gets grouped to .3 spread.

All before size, GC and lube.

Calamity Jake
09-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Those who do weigh, How far out do you consider a reject of, let's say a 150gr 30cal. By a reject I mean one you toss back in the pot and not save for a plinker.

For a single cav. mold 149.8, 149.9, 150, 150.1 and 150.2 goes in the same pile, a .5gr spread anything ligher goes back in the pot,
heaver gets used for barrel foulers.

For multi cav. mold each cav. gets the same treatment because each cav. will cast a different weight boolit.