PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

jonnin
09-22-2011, 12:55 PM
New member here, I am into reloading and shooting, but not casting so much at this time. A member of another forum directed me here when he was unable to answer my questions. I searched some, and read at the sticky/classic topics, but did not really see this one, so here goes! I recently bought a 308 browning lever action rifle. The bullets I want to use most, because they are cheap and I have a bunch, are the missouri bullet company slugs (http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=105&category=6&secondary=&keywords=). My wife has a 30-30 lever gun and I bought a lot of those for her gun, and they work great for that. What do I need to understand to make a safe load from that bullet for my 308? Or is this round too soft for the powerful caliber? I am ok making a weak load, as these rounds would be for at most 300 yards or so plinkery, but even if I do not make full power loads I want to know what the dangers (if any) are and what sorts of things NOT to do (if any). I already understand the difference between jacketed and cast/lead rounds for load data, I am really asking about the bullet melting, shredding, or doing anything else odd and dangerous caused by too much power behind a softish slug. Thank you very much for any tips!

GP100man
09-22-2011, 01:13 PM
[smilie=s:

& welcome to :cbpour:

Here`s what my search turned up

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/search.php?searchid=3347707

Have fun ,be safe !!!

quilbilly
09-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Welcome to this website. I think you will enjoy it for years to come.
A couple thought on your new endeavor with your 308. It sounds like you have a pretty good CB load for your 30-30. I will bet the same load will work in your 308. You can start tinkering from there. Another thought is that you might want to keep the MV's of your 308 below 2100 FPS and move up carefully from there if you really want to. A 30 cal 160 gr. approx cast boolit with a gas checked flat point at 1800 fps is more than adequate for deer out to 150 or even 200 yards.
After doing the wet phone book test at 50 yards with my 30-30 and a 160 gr CB at an MV of 1550 fps, I would not hesitate to take a shot at deer out to 100 yards. The recoil is so mild even my wife enjoys shooting it.
Again, welcome to our fraternity.

jonnin
09-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys! I just want to shoot at paper with the reloads for now, if I go for a deer I will bust my shoulder with some commercial JHP this year and consider my own maybe next year once I have really tested my home cooked stuff. Its too close to season to have time to perfect new loads now, and the scope isnt even here yet. Off to read that linked thread now...